Bow Ties Made out of Antler? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 03-15-2012, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

View JB97031's Photo Album My Photos
Bow Ties Made out of Antler?

For my next project, I have two beautiful book match 8/4 walnut boards that I want to turn into a coffee table for our family room. On one end I want to waterfall it. To support the other end, I'm thinking of using elk antlers.

This is where it could get interesting.
There are a few cracks that go all the way through the wood and are no more than a 1/4" wide but are several inches long. I may fill them with black epoxy but potentially want some unique looking bow ties. I'm thinking of using some antler for the bow ties.

Can it be done or is this just a crazy idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-15-2012, 04:08 AM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
It's a cool idea I think !!!!!! If you could pull it off let me know.

When it's rustic......it's rustic

Last edited by Dominick; 03-15-2012 at 07:11 AM.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-15-2012, 07:02 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I also think it is an impressive idea. I would think it would look great.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-16-2012, 09:14 AM

View brown down's Photo Album My Photos
that is a very good idea. that will also be a very very hard challenge. looking forward to the pics.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-16-2012, 10:44 AM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
That is a cool idea, indeed. The only problem I can foresee is the finish of the antler. Are you going to cut it flat? The core of the antler is porous like a sponge...?

...build n burn - live n learn...
post #6 of 17 Old 03-16-2012, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
That is a cool idea, indeed. The only problem I can foresee is the finish of the antler. Are you going to cut it flat? The core of the antler is porous like a sponge...?

That would be my thought. May have to fill with epoxy to deal with the pores and give it the strength needed. I have some deer antler bases on order for another project but I should have one or two left over to play with.

Thanks guys. I figured I'd get flamed for this idea since it's hardly conventional.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Log dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic

+1 I also agree on the porous part being the marrow. If its a thick antler you might get away from the marrow.

post #8 of 17 Old 03-17-2012, 02:36 AM

View Heath's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds awesome. Can't wait to see pictures. The trabeculae that makes up the inner bone matter will be very spongy indeed, but also very sturdy. It's not marrow, it's actually a calcium similar to the outside of the bone that's spongy to give strength to the inner bone to allow marrow and blood to flow through the bone. Some epoxy would fill it well and strengthen it. Make sure to get all the bubbles out when you epoxy over it though. Maybe go over it with a torch or heat gun to pull the air out.

Good luck and I can't wait to see it.

Another thought. the bone might not look like bone when you cut it like that. I would like to see how the bowties look before you put them in. You might have to wash the bone well to clean out dried blood and marrow.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-17-2012, 11:31 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Perhaps I'm not visualizing correct but it sounds like the table is going to be very heavy and I don't think the antlers would be sufficient to hold the weight. I'm thinking it would need some kind of pedestal in the center to carry the weight and have the antlers on the ends more as decoration. Also being a coffee table somebody will sooner or later sit on it.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-17-2012, 02:09 PM

View bond3737's Photo Album My Photos
just a thought here, dont know much about working with antler but I would imagine that one of the cool things about it is that people can tell that it's antler. Was thinking it might be cool to create the bowtie but instead of shaving off the top to make it flush leave the curvature in there and select pieces that have those little nubbins so a person could look at it and tell right away. you could cut the side in bowtie shape but leave the top. It will protrude a little bit but I think it would look pretty nifty if you could tell it was antler... cant wait to see pics. Love the idea
post #11 of 17 Old 03-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Log dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul
Perhaps I'm not visualizing correct but it sounds like the table is going to be very heavy and I don't think the antlers would be sufficient to hold the weight. I'm thinking it would need some kind of pedestal in the center to carry the weight and have the antlers on the ends more as decoration. Also being a coffee table somebody will sooner or later sit on it.
The antlers aren't supporting the table. He was thinking of using antler for making bowties, instead of wood. Here's an example of some bowties. I'm sure you already no what they look like. Mine are wood.

Name:  image-3001126303.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  80.1 KB

post #12 of 17 Old 03-18-2012, 02:17 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
The antlers aren't supporting the table. He was thinking of using antler for making bowties, instead of wood. Here's an example of some bowties. I'm sure you already no what they look like. Mine are wood.

Attachment 41079
That would make a little difference. I had it all wrong. I was picturing him making the waterfall plank on one end and having antlers for legs on the other end.

I believe the wood bowties would be much stronger. The only time I've done that was on antique table on the underside. I mortised the board out and put a countertop pull up bolt in the wood and then put a thinner bowtie to hide it.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-18-2012, 02:48 AM
Log dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul

That would make a little difference. I had it all wrong. I was picturing him making the waterfall plank on one end and having antlers for legs on the other end.

I believe the wood bowties would be much stronger. The only time I've done that was on antique table on the underside. I mortised the board out and put a countertop pull up bolt in the wood and then put a thinner bowtie to hide it.
Cool. Lol I'm glad you understand. All though I've seen lots of tables supported by antlers. There quite strong.

post #14 of 17 Old 03-22-2012, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Steve and Dominic - you both have it right. Antlers will be used to support one end with a waterfall at the other end. I would also try to do bow ties out of the antler as well. I like the idea of keeping the surface of the antler in the top of the tie. Will update as it progresses.
The Following User Says Thank You to JB97031 For This Useful Post:
Dominick (03-22-2012)
post #15 of 17 Old 04-01-2012, 10:28 PM

View Midlandbob's Photo Album My Photos
Moose antlers have fairly large flat areas that could be machined to bow ties easier than deer etc. .?
post #16 of 17 Old 04-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Log dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlandbob
Moose antlers have fairly large flat areas that could be machined to bow ties easier than deer etc. .?
I'd hate to ruin a moose antler for a bowtie.
But good point.

post #17 of 17 Old 12-18-2012, 01:43 PM

View JDMeek2020's Photo Album My Photos
???

hate to revive a dead post but did this ever happen??
The Following User Says Thank You to JDMeek2020 For This Useful Post:
Dado Mortise (12-30-2012)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode