bottom slot for dovetail box - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 04-19-2015, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

View GISer3546's Photo Album My Photos
bottom slot for dovetail box

I`m putting together a small box from red oak joined with through dovetails. So far I`ve cut the dovetails and they look fine, I`m wondering how to cut a slot for the box bottom without it messing with my dovetail profile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-19-2015, 09:44 PM

View was2ndlast's Photo Album My Photos
Are they through or half blind? If 1/2 blind you can cut the dado end to end as long as the cut is where the drawer front accepts the tails. If through I've was helped on this forum before indicating stopped dado's. I also saw a youtube video of a guy using a slot cutter and router cutting the dado on an assembled drawer.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-19-2015, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

View GISer3546's Photo Album My Photos
I guess stopped dado were the words i was looking for. I have a router and a table but dropping stock on a spinning bit makes me nervous. I do have a slot cutter and had thought about just running that around the inside of the asseble box, but again that makes me nervous. I had considered getting different size bearings and to gradually make the cut with the slot cutter but am not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-20-2015, 07:56 AM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISer3546 View Post
I`m putting together a small box from red oak joined with through dovetails. So far I`ve cut the dovetails and they look fine, I`m wondering how to cut a slot for the box bottom without it messing with my dovetail profile.
show the slot , make a test cut so you will know where to start and stop , use tape on the fence mark it where to start and stop , i have done this many times, i wouldn't use the slot cutter , not me , ust the above
post #5 of 8 Old 04-21-2015, 07:28 AM

View rcp612's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I guess stopped dado were the words i was looking for. I have a router and a table but dropping stock on a spinning bit makes me nervous. I do have a slot cutter and had thought about just running that around the inside of the asseble box, but again that makes me nervous. I had considered getting different size bearings and to gradually make the cut with the slot cutter but am not sure.
Dropping your wood onto a spinning bit is more a scare to your mind than it really is. As some company said (mabe Fruit of the Loom?)"Just do it". I find using stop blocks attached to the fence on my router table instead of pencil marks or tape as many people do, helps control the length of cut, plus adds confidence for me.
I would probably never use a slot cutter in this situation since that will leave you with depth of cut radii in each corner which, in my opinion, is creating too much very small chisel work.

Do like you always do,,,, get what you always get!!
post #6 of 8 Old 04-29-2015, 01:15 PM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Assembly box/slot cutting bit in router table.
Square up corners or round corners of bottom to fit.
Reassemble and glue up.
Done.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-29-2015, 05:20 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
It depends on how small your box is.
Normally, I would cut a stopped dado on the table saw, but it's more difficult to drop a small piece onto the saw.
If I felt the piece was too small for the TS, I would use a straight router bit to cut a stopped dado.
On a small box, you might use a 1/8" thick plywood or Masonite bottom.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-08-2015, 05:28 AM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Just throwing this idea out there to see what you think. What about cutting 4 very small strips and glueing them to the inside bottom of your box then let the bottom of the box lay on those strips. Might work or not.

Don

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode