Best way to edge join plywood? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 05-15-2013, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

View hoover40's Photo Album My Photos
Best way to edge join plywood?

Hi,

I am building an octagon poker table that will be 60" wide. To create the base of the table top I need to edge to edge join plywood. This base will have a racetrack and a smaller octagon covered in felt sitting on top of it so it will not be seen. On a previous table I used biscuits and haven't had any problems yet, but after researching a bit more for this table it seems like maybe biscuits aren't the best way to go? If it doesn't matter how well they line up, what is the strongest way to join the two pieces of plywood?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-15-2013, 04:43 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Full length hardwood spline.

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #3 of 14 Old 05-15-2013, 05:30 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
I have a tongue and groove two bit set. One cuts a tongue on the wood edging, and the other cuts a groove in the plywood. Same principal as a spline, just easier for the glue-up. I am trying to recall where I purchased my set.

My set is similar to this, but the tongue and groove are slightly angled to help alignment.

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/..._-_glue_joints
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-15-2013, 06:00 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post
I have a tongue and groove two bit set. One cuts a tongue on the wood edging, and the other cuts a groove in the plywood. Same principal as a spline, just easier for the glue-up. I am trying to recall where I purchased my set.

My set is similar to this, but the tongue and groove are slightly angled to help alignment.

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/..._-_glue_joints
Are you referring to a beveled tongue and groove? Check option "E" on your link

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #5 of 14 Old 05-15-2013, 06:32 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoover40 View Post
Hi,

I am building an octagon poker table that will be 60" wide. To create the base of the table top I need to edge to edge join plywood. This base will have a racetrack and a smaller octagon covered in felt sitting on top of it so it will not be seen. On a previous table I used biscuits and haven't had any problems yet, but after researching a bit more for this table it seems like maybe biscuits aren't the best way to go? If it doesn't matter how well they line up, what is the strongest way to join the two pieces of plywood?
I use a half lap joint. The laps can be whatever you make them. You aren't limited to profiles afforded by router bits.

post #6 of 14 Old 05-18-2013, 11:13 PM

View Midlandbob's Photo Album My Photos
The problem is to glue long grain to long grain. A plywood surface is about 1/2 of each but getting the correct parts together may take some checking of the geometry. Splines or biscuits if they are in the right levels might work.
Plywood glues well to solid wood as you get a 1/2 bond which is usually enough. If you put a narrow piece of solid wood between the two plywood panels you would brobably get an OK connection. Glueing a strip on the bottom of the joint would strengthen it if the bottom was hidden.
Try a test piece.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-18-2013, 11:23 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Be it biscuits or splines, on ply it is aways a long grain to long grain glue-up - the only variation is orientation but still long grain.

Ply is the only time biscuits are ok. That or splines are easier in terms of layout than half laps but any of those will work fine.

I am wholly opposed to biscuits and pocket screws with only one exception - plywood.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-19-2013, 08:29 AM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
In boatbuilding, the most accepted plywood joint is a scarf joint made by creating a long bevel on both pieces.

http://www.ncboatbuilder.com/scarfing-plywood.html

The place I get plywood sells 5' widths.
The Following User Says Thank You to Quickstep For This Useful Post:
SeanStuart (06-09-2013)
post #9 of 14 Old 05-21-2013, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

View hoover40's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for all the responses! I still haven't quite decided what I'm going to do yet, but thanks for all the answers.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-02-2013, 02:57 PM

View ginghis's Photo Album My Photos
Rout a path along the underside of mating edges and glue a strip of plastic or aluminum to each side after pushing them together. This makes a lap joint that is strong if the strip has as much tensile strength as the plywood (after routing it).
post #11 of 14 Old 06-14-2013, 11:07 PM

View michialt's Photo Album My Photos
The best way to join 2 pieces of plywood edge to edge is to use a scarf joint. In aviation its the only acceptable joint.

For me this was one of the hardest joints I have ever done. The proper way calls for a 1:12 joint. Which means getting both edges angled to 12 times the thickness of the 2 pieces. The thinner the wood the harder it is to get right.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-14-2013, 11:58 PM

View BZawat's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by michialt
The best way to join 2 pieces of plywood edge to edge is to use a scarf joint. In aviation its the only acceptable joint.

For me this was one of the hardest joints I have ever done. The proper way calls for a 1:12 joint. Which means getting both edges angled to 12 times the thickness of the 2 pieces. The thinner the wood the harder it is to get right.
I don't doubt what you're saying, but I have to ask: how do you go about cutting a perfectly straight 4" long taper in a piece of 3/4" plywood?

Edit: 9" wide, I mean.

Last edited by BZawat; 06-15-2013 at 12:29 AM.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-15-2013, 06:31 AM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZawat View Post
I don't doubt what you're saying, but I have to ask: how do you go about cutting a perfectly straight 4" long taper in a piece of 3/4" plywood?

Edit: 9" wide, I mean.
Good catch.

post #14 of 14 Old 06-15-2013, 06:41 AM
Old School

Choosing a method would depend on why the plywood needs edge joining and its thickness. From experience I'll say a scarf joint would be very weak and difficult to keep in alignment when gluing.

For ¼" plywood, a lap joint would be my choice. I've had to do that on many occasions because as my luck has it I'll need a cabinet back that's just an inch or two wider than the plywood. Since I use mostly plain slice veneer plywood, I can get a joint that is closely flitch matched.

For thicknesses of ½" or more, half laps work very well, if they are fitted properly. Structurally, a spline might be used, but I would not use biscuits.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode