Best way to attach table top? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 11-01-2014, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

View Augie1962's Photo Album My Photos
Best way to attach table top?

I am building a coffee table and two end table. Made from red oak 18" x 48" and 18" x 23" ( end tables). Legs and skirts will be M&T or sliding dove tail joined. What is the best way to attach the top? Some type of cleat in the corners, screw through end skirts. What is the best way to account for wood movement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-01-2014, 04:15 PM
Wood-a-holic

View wericha's Photo Album My Photos
I've used these for years:
http://www.rockler.com/table-top-fasteners

Just make a slot on the inside of the skirt and screw these to the top.

The tools don't make the craftsman......a true statement often overused by individuals who haven't a clue about quality tools or true craftsmanship.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-02-2014, 06:59 PM

View FishFactory's Photo Album My Photos
I usually cut a dado around the inside top of the skirt about 1/4 inch down. Then you can make small cleats with a 1/4" tongue rabbeted out on top a little less than 1/4. Slide that into the dado you made and screw it to the top. That allows the top to move with the weather and it is easily adjusted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-02-2014, 07:36 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFactory View Post
I usually cut a dado around the inside top of the skirt about 1/4 inch down. Then you can make small cleats with a 1/4" tongue rabbeted out on top a little less than 1/4. Slide that into the dado you made and screw it to the top. That allows the top to move with the weather and it is easily adjusted.
That sounds like a very elegant and very labor intensive way of doing that. I do like the theory though, may try that at some point.

Don't make a lot of tables meself, but I like those clips that wericha linjed,. I've also heardtalesthat if you drill a hole in the skirt and wiggle the drill bit a bit to ream the hole out, it'll work pretty well with just a screw

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #5 of 9 Old 11-02-2014, 09:46 PM

View FishFactory's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
That sounds like a very elegant and very labor intensive way of doing that. I do like the theory though, may try that at some point.

Don't make a lot of tables meself, but I like those clips that wericha linjed,. I've also heardtalesthat if you drill a hole in the skirt and wiggle the drill bit a bit to ream the hole out, it'll work pretty well with just a screw
Without a picture, it sounds more complicated than it is. It only takes a few minutes to make the clips and it takes no longer to make enough for a few tables too. I am just not that great at explaining it on paper without drawing it. It is rather simple.....
post #6 of 9 Old 11-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
I went through how I wanted to attach the tops of my coffee table and endtable last year.....Here's the discussion and how I ended up doing it....It's worked out well for me...

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f13/m...-52461/index2/

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #7 of 9 Old 11-03-2014, 02:40 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFactory View Post
Without a picture, it sounds more complicated than it is. It only takes a few minutes to make the clips and it takes no longer to make enough for a few tables too. I am just not that great at explaining it on paper without drawing it. It is rather simple.....
Im fairly certain i grasped what you were talking about. Your post was very well said, im just lazy and your method sounded like a lot more work than wiggling the drill bit. Then again, im sure your way works better too :P

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #8 of 9 Old 11-03-2014, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

View Augie1962's Photo Album My Photos
thanks for all the input

Thanks for all the input I will keep an open mind and see how it works out. I do like the clips, seems easy enough, the drawbore pegs wont work because skirts will be M&T to the 2x2 legs. I will post some pics when I get started.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-09-2014, 11:23 PM

View Woodford's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wericha View Post
I've used these for years:
http://www.rockler.com/table-top-fasteners

Just make a slot on the inside of the skirt and screw these to the top.
This is by far my favorite way to do it. Surprisingly strong and so easy to install and remove if needed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode