Best picture frame jig - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Kenbo
  • 3 Post By Packard

post #1 of 6 Old 05-06-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

View redeared's Photo Album My Photos
Best picture frame jig

Generally for my picture frames I like the square half lap, its simple and I know it is square, strong and easy to clamp, but I have been asked lately to repair a number of 45 miter frames, what method do you recommend, I did a search but the the links where old. Screw, strap etc..?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-06-2019, 10:49 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
What needs to be repaired? Are the miter joints broken, loose, etc? I use miter joints on my frames. I simply glue them with a good quality wood glue and usually use a pin nailer to hold until glue dries. For clamps I use these;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0029.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	375117  

Last edited by Kerrys; 05-06-2019 at 10:53 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-06-2019, 10:57 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos

This is my version of the Veritas frame clamp (which I also own and love). http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,43293,31162

My version is much less expensive and works just as well. I hope this helps.
homestd likes this.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-06-2019, 11:06 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Another option would be one like this:

http://sawdustmaking.com/Picture%20F...rame_clamp.htm

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #5 of 6 Old 05-07-2019, 09:16 AM

View Packard's Photo Album My Photos
Packard

I had a frame shop for many years and generally you only need glue to hold the joints together. There were some issues when we were using Elmers white glue, but then Framica came out with Corner Weld glue and those issues disappeared. We used underpinners for the corners, but they were in place of clamps to allow us faster production. They added little in way of strength.

Any clamp that holds the corners tight and square is going to do fine. Cross nailing the corners with either a brad nailer or by pre-drilling and driving conventional brads.

This is the vise I used for corner nailing when required: https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.tool...S-D3227__1.jpg

Four Bessey or Pony corner clamps will work also. They cost about $10.00 each. They seem quite accurate.

When Corner Weld first came out I did a test on the glue vs. Elmers. There was no comparison. The Corner Weld was vastly stronger.

Just recently I did a test of Corner Weld vs. Woodworkers III glue. The strength results on miters was almost exactly the same (I used weights and they both failed between 35 lbs and 40 pounds on a 3/4" x 3" stock with an arm of 14").

The main advantage of Corner Weld is that is sets up so fast. If you apply glue to both surfaces and press and rub togther in about 30 seconds they are tacked together. In five minutes you can handle the joint. In two hours you can assemble the frame.

The WWIII takes ten minutes to setup and I would not handle the parts for at least 4 hours.

On the otherhand Corner Weld would be a disaster when doing a complicated glue up. It would set before you were done positioning things.

Picture frames are not subject to much stress. The biggest enemy of picture frames is wide molding (3" +) and seasonal wood movement. After several seasons you can see joints popping apart.

Always hang the frame from the verticle frame members and about 1/3 of the way from the top. That minimizes stress on the joints.
TimPa, Kerrys and Dave_Rett like this.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-07-2019, 09:24 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
we make a lot of mitered picture frames, and this is our go to...
https://www.rockler.com/miter-vise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode