Best method for cutting Mortise. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 22 Old 04-04-2015, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

View Bluefilosoff's Photo Album My Photos
Best method for cutting Mortise.

I am making the verticals for a large trestle table that will have through mortises to hold the stretcher with either a tusk tenon with a key or a wedged tenon. These verticals are composed of two 1.5 x 7.5 (roughly) fir boards laminated to form a 3" deep piece. I may have jumped the gun in gluing them up already but it's too late now so what would you suggest would be a better way to cut the 3/4" x 3" through mortises? I have the tools to enable me to do either one of these three:
1. On drill press with Forstner bit with extension and clean up with chisel.
2. Use a plunge router with upcut bit.
3. Rip the boards in half, cut the mortise halves with a dado stack and then glue up to re-form the member. Here is a rough sketch.

Name:  image-1611014015.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  76.3 KB

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-04-2015, 10:51 AM

View Black540i's Photo Album My Photos
I would probably use the drill press method. If you use the router method you'll still need to clean up with the chisel. That's pretty deep to route as well, would likely take a lot longer than the drill press.
post #3 of 22 Old 04-04-2015, 11:28 AM

View mengtian's Photo Album My Photos
If someone does find the "best" way to do mortises let me know!!!!!!!!!!!! In the meantime I would second the drill press and clean up with chisel.

or

Use a dado and cut the each piece and glue together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 04-04-2015, 11:34 AM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
I do a lot of mt joints and the drill is my go too tool for hogging them out. I use the router if I need a mortise on the flat side of a wide board. Like Black540i reminds us, because of the depth of your cut, a router is not a good idea.

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
post #5 of 22 Old 04-04-2015, 12:05 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
I'd use a chisel mortisers. Wouldn't take more than 2-3 minutes for the whole thing.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #6 of 22 Old 04-04-2015, 02:54 PM
Tool Fanactic

View WarnerConstInc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mengtian View Post
If someone does find the "best" way to do mortises let me know!!!!!!!!!!!! In the meantime I would second the drill press and clean up with chisel.

or

Use a dado and cut the each piece and glue together.

My chain mortiser does most of my work. My Maka oscillating mortiser does the rest. I recently was able to get rid of my hollow chisel mortiser once I got the maka set up.
post #7 of 22 Old 04-04-2015, 03:18 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
3" deep through mortises

I would use the drill press, a 5/8" or 3/4" Forstner bit, and some sharp chisels. A 3" deep mortise is too deep for a router.... JMO.

It's a bit of hand work, but some times it's the best or only way. I do use a router and mortising jig for 1/2" X 3/4" deep mortises. I also have a hollow chisel mortiser, but real fond of that machine for larger than 3/8" wide mortises..... I've tried most methods including stopping the center board short and adding another inside to form the mortises in the center.

You can get hollow mortising chisels with a handle insert so you can use a mallet on them:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mortise-Chis...item3a958c9b4c

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (05-16-2015)
post #8 of 22 Old 04-04-2015, 06:36 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
My chain mortiser does most of my work. My Maka oscillating mortiser does the rest. I recently was able to get rid of my hollow chisel mortiser once I got the maka set up.
I had to look up that make, its an interesting machine. Kindve like a jackhammer for wood if I'm looking at it right.

As far as the issue at hand goes, use a drill press and forestner bit to hog out the majority and finish it with a chisel. A router won't be able to go deep enough and it isnt worth the effort to split in half just to go at it with a dado

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #9 of 22 Old 04-04-2015, 07:04 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
good advice as previously stated above

echo..., echo.... echo....

Quoting
" I would use the drill press, a 5/8" or 3/4" Forstner bit, and some sharp chisels. A 3" deep mortise is too deep for a router.... JMO."

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #10 of 22 Old 04-04-2015, 07:59 PM
Tool Fanactic

View WarnerConstInc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
I had to look up that make, its an interesting machine. Kindve like a jackhammer for wood if I'm looking at it right.

As far as the issue at hand goes, use a drill press and forestner bit to hog out the majority and finish it with a chisel. A router won't be able to go deep enough and it isnt worth the effort to split in half just to go at it with a dado
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDLEuyOEDdQ
post #11 of 22 Old 04-04-2015, 11:37 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
That is a pretty awesome machine. Ive never seen anything quite like that.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #12 of 22 Old 04-04-2015, 11:46 PM

View Black540i's Photo Album My Photos
That's definitely an awesome machine.
post #13 of 22 Old 04-06-2015, 02:55 AM
CcCaraway

View CcCaraway's Photo Album My Photos
Omg I want a Maka Mortiser. I looked them up. ..., $10, 000 bucks
post #14 of 22 Old 04-06-2015, 09:48 AM

View bauerbach's Photo Album My Photos
is all 3 an option? drill first to remove the bulk of the waste, route as deep as possible to get precise edge for the outer inch, clean up the middle and corners with a chisel.

Id be mostly concerned with the exposed joint having a nice clean tight joint for aesthetics, and a router can do that. Leave my sloppy chisel work to the inside where I cant ruin anything.
post #15 of 22 Old 04-06-2015, 10:41 AM

View rabies's Photo Album My Photos
never seen one of those before. like an oversized biscuit joiner. which i dont have either :/
post #16 of 22 Old 04-06-2015, 12:06 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
after double checking the layout on both faces, i would drill the bulk out with a slightly undersized bit (5/8" or 11/16"), then chisel remainder to the lines. working in from both sides toward the center.
The Following User Says Thank You to TimPa For This Useful Post:
Bluefilosoff (05-16-2015)
post #17 of 22 Old 04-06-2015, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

View Bluefilosoff's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerbach
is all 3 an option? drill first to remove the bulk of the waste, route as deep as possible to get precise edge for the outer inch, clean up the middle and corners with a chisel. Id be mostly concerned with the exposed joint having a nice clean tight joint for aesthetics, and a router can do that. Leave my sloppy chisel work to the inside where I cant ruin anything.
Yes that's an idea for the exposed side as I have been experimenting and there is some tear out. I'm going to try what you suggested, My only concern would be duplicating the size of the mortise cut between the drill bit which would be one cut at 1.5" and the router pass which would necessarily be a trim to the size in several passes. Thanks for your help!

But then again now that I think of it I will be trimming with the chisel so I guess my concern is completely invalid sorry about this. I couldn't figure out a way to remove my post on this tablet. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Bluefilosoff; 04-06-2015 at 01:32 PM.
post #18 of 22 Old 04-07-2015, 08:57 AM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
We woodworkers all have our preferred methods of accomplishing our tasks at hand. I'm not trying to say that the routing method isn't the best way of cutting that perfect mortise. If that is the method you are most comfortable with, then by all means stick with your router. I simply want to say that accomplishing that perfect mortise can be done with a chisel. I take a wide chisel, lay it over the drill work and cut the excess out.
Attached Images

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
The Following User Says Thank You to BernieL For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (05-16-2015)
post #19 of 22 Old 04-29-2015, 10:23 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Option 3 would be the easiest and fast way although maybe not the most traditional way.
If you've got the skills to do a through mortise 3" deep then for for it with hand tools.

If you do #3, obviously, make sure you joint the faces before regluing.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to DrRobert For This Useful Post:
post #20 of 22 Old 05-15-2015, 08:20 PM

View Barn owl's Photo Album My Photos
Here is whats do when a larger piece doesn't fit in the mortiser.

Mark you mortise and outline it with a sharp chisel. Then bore out the majority of the mortise with a bit at the drill press or drill making sure than at least a portion of ghe mortise is open all the way through. make a jig or use a straight edge and cut out the mortise using a router and an upcut bit only going as deep as you can. Then I flip the piece over and use a large bottom bearing staring bit to do the rest. The bottom bearing rides on the completed edges on the other side.

Last edited by Barn owl; 05-15-2015 at 08:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barn owl For This Useful Post:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode