Best joinery method for toy chest? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 01-05-2014, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

View Jpeluso8's Photo Album My Photos
Question Best joinery method for toy chest?

I have basic wood work ability. Just got a router and am hoping to use for the joinery of a toy box / bench I want to build. What is the best method for joining to form the box? The types I am considering: butt biscuit joints, edge mitre joint with spline, lock mitre joint, or rabbit joint ? Looking for simplicity with enough strength for a decent sized toy chest... Thanks so much! Just not sure..rabbit joint looks easiest but wasn't sure if that was appropriate for a large toy chest. What you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-08-2014, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

No one with any idea?
post #3 of 14 Old 01-08-2014, 02:49 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Box/finger joints are very strong.

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-08-2014, 03:18 PM

View wsommariva's Photo Album My Photos
I'm just a novice but I use rabbit joints for my boxes. Then use #8 screws also. Look up rabbit/dado joints, I think they might be "better".

Don't forget a good wood glue.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-08-2014, 03:34 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
A locking rabbet joint is another option, but it will leave some end grain exposed.

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #6 of 14 Old 01-08-2014, 05:40 PM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
I've always used box joints. Strong, with lots of glue surface.

Gene
The Patriot Woodworker

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
post #7 of 14 Old 01-08-2014, 06:04 PM

View Paarker's Photo Album My Photos
I like dovetails myself but if I was limited on the joints you mention I would use 45's and splines to join them. With enough splines you should have a chest to withstand the abuse of children.

Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino
post #8 of 14 Old 01-08-2014, 10:42 PM

View sgmdwk's Photo Album My Photos
Add one to the votes for box joints. That is what I used on the toy/blanket chest I just built for my granddaughter. Mitered corners with sufficient splined could be pretty strong too, but would be harder to produce, in my opinion. You can make a box joint jig for use on either a router table or table saw fairly easily.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-08-2014, 11:44 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
What sorts of loads do you expect those box joints to take?
Do you plan to let your kids kick the crapola out of the box and everything else?
I doubt that.

Of course, you can make them elegant and durable enough for a trip past Jupiter and back.

Look. Before you know it, you sit in the audience and watch your (little) D1 get her PhD in Experimental Human Medicine (Nov.26.13). We all survived. Even the flat-faced glue & screw joints in the toy box.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-09-2014, 06:58 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpeluso8 View Post
I have basic wood work ability. Just got a router and am hoping to use for the joinery of a toy box / bench I want to build. What is the best method for joining to form the box? The types I am considering: butt biscuit joints, edge mitre joint with spline, lock mitre joint, or rabbit joint ? Looking for simplicity with enough strength for a decent sized toy chest... Thanks so much! Just not sure..rabbit joint looks easiest but wasn't sure if that was appropriate for a large toy chest. What you think?
IMO the joinery would depend on what is used for materials. Will the corners be plywood (type) or solid wood (species)?

post #11 of 14 Old 01-09-2014, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
IMO the joinery would depend on what is used for materials. Will the corners be plywood (type) or solid wood (species)?

This is something I want to paint some child colors..it will be for a newborn. SO I was thinking maybe some kind of plywood? MDF possibly? In other words, it doesn't have to be some expensive hardwood..
post #12 of 14 Old 01-09-2014, 10:22 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpeluso8 View Post
This is something I want to paint some child colors..it will be for a newborn. SO I was thinking maybe some kind of plywood? MDF possibly? In other words, it doesn't have to be some expensive hardwood..
If you are painting, you could use simple rabbets, glue and fasteners. Fill holes...and paint. I would go with a paintable plywood, like Maple. MDF may or may not hold up over time. If you decide to use MDF, you could edge glue solid wood on the edges to be joined. I've had that work out well on many occasions. Works for plywood too. Makes for a good joint and a more durable exterior corner.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
Jpeluso8 (01-09-2014)
post #13 of 14 Old 01-13-2014, 11:20 PM

View Manco247's Photo Album My Photos
If you're a nivice and want a simple and quick method, then pocket screws come to mind. They are becoming more increasingly popular. MDF is not good for joinery. It has little joint strength, and its heavy. Go wood all the way.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-20-2014, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman
If you are painting, you could use simple rabbets, glue and fasteners. Fill holes...and paint. I would go with a paintable plywood, like Maple. MDF may or may not hold up over time. If you decide to use MDF, you could edge glue solid wood on the edges to be joined. I've had that work out well on many occasions. Works for plywood too. Makes for a good joint and a more durable exterior corner. .
Do you suggest 3/4 inch maple or is 1/2 inch fine? I also want to use the wood to make a bench style top with armrests and want to be sure the 1/2 inch is thick enough for using the router to make rounded edges for those armrests

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode