Best Glue for Balsa - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 03-26-2015, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

View Brishwi's Photo Album My Photos
Best Glue for Balsa

Hello all, new to this forum but I think I found the right place.

I build small balsa wood bridges for a high school science competition (small as in ~10 grams, pieces as thin as 1/32"). I have tried titebond wood glue, but it doesn't seem to hold up well. I have seen a few designs using a cement glue but I'm not sure what would be best.

I was wondering if someone has a good suggestion for a strong glue that can hold against large amounts of strain.

Thanks,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-26-2015, 06:33 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
For very thin small pieces, I would test both super glue and 2 part epoxy.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #3 of 14 Old 03-26-2015, 06:35 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
For that application I believe I would use hot melt glue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-26-2015, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to add that the goal of the bridge is to hold up 15kg of weight, so i don't think hot melt glue is a good option.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-26-2015, 07:08 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
Best Glue for Balsa

Why does titebond not work? Epoxy or super glue should work. Super glue would be faster.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-26-2015, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

titebond works fine, but when I place the load onto the bridge the joints with the glue are the first to give out. It just seems that titebond doesn't work well with the strain.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-26-2015, 07:21 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishwi View Post
Forgot to add that the goal of the bridge is to hold up 15kg of weight, so i don't think hot melt glue is a good option.
The problem with wood glue is you need sufficient glue surface and clamp pressure to make it work. Hot melt glue will adhere with a much smaller surface. Try it before you write it off.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-26-2015, 07:35 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishwi View Post
titebond works fine, but when I place the load onto the bridge the joints with the glue are the first to give out. It just seems that titebond doesn't work well with the strain.
Most wood glues have a bit of 'creep' by design, so they can stand up to seasonal wood movement. Great for furniture, or in applications with a lot of surface area between glueing surfaces. Not so great for holding a high load on a small surface area, as you've found

My biological father built model airplanes from balsa, and the only adhesive I ever saw him use was super glue. Given the stress the parts of the plane would be under, I'd say super glue would be plenty strong enough for a bridge. I'd also wager that once dried the glue would be tougher than the balsa

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
The Following User Says Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
Brishwi (03-26-2015)
post #9 of 14 Old 03-26-2015, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help everyone! I'll give all the suggestions a try and see how things go.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-26-2015, 09:42 PM

View hal.hill73's Photo Album My Photos
I have constructed and flown RC airplanes for over 30 years. The best adhesive in use today are cyanoacrylate and epoxies. For the CA glues to be effective you need to have very tight joints. There are different formulations today with different curing times. You can pick them up at most hobby shops. In extremely high stress areas I oftentimes use 15 minute epoxy. I fly a 1/3 scale Cub with a 144" wingspan and it constructed primarily with CA glues with epoxy only at the firewall and wing root areas. Either CA or epoxy would be you best option.
The Following User Says Thank You to hal.hill73 For This Useful Post:
Brishwi (03-26-2015)
post #11 of 14 Old 03-27-2015, 07:02 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwebb99 View Post
Why does titebond not work? Epoxy or super glue should work. Super glue would be faster.
The wood is too porous.

George
post #12 of 14 Old 03-27-2015, 07:04 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Go to a model shop and buy your glue there.

If I remember from my youth the glue of preference is "Testers." Super glue dries too fast. You need time to get your parts in alignment.

Epoxy takes too long to dry.

George
post #13 of 14 Old 03-27-2015, 03:33 PM

View hal.hill73's Photo Album My Photos
There are different formulations of CA glues with varying drying/ cure times just like there are epoxies with working times of 5 minutes to several hours. Epoxy or CA either one would be a good choice; visiting a hobby shop is certainly the best source in this particular case.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-30-2015, 09:03 PM

View tewitt1949's Photo Album My Photos
I also build RC aircraft. I use super glue and 6 min 2 part epoxy. They make at least 3 different thickness of super glue. Each is best for different applications. Thin will creep into the grain and strengthen the balsa wood. Thick is gap filling. You can also get activator to make it dry super fast. You may want to use super thin super glue to strengthen the wood in high stress areas. Just put some on the wood and it will soak in and travel up the grain of the wood then harden. It really strengthens the wood. Also they make different hardness/strengths of balsa wood.

Tags
glue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode