Best glue ? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 11-29-2012, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

View Leakygoose's Photo Album My Photos
Best glue ?

I'm trimming a house and the builder asked me to make the 21, 5' tall craftsmen style columns on the front porch. Two columns each sit on top of some mason pedestals . Each unit is four sides with tapered 45 corners.

I plan on ripping the 45 tappers in my shop on the cabinet saw then glueing and brad them together for the install.

Question is; what kind of glue ? Suggestions

These things are going to be made of primed wood then painted and will see some weather. I'm an interior guy so I'm just wondering about the glue factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-29-2012, 09:59 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakygoose View Post
I'm trimming a house and the builder asked me to make the 21, 5' tall craftsmen style columns on the front porch. Two columns each sit on top of some mason pedestals . Each unit is four sides with tapered 45 corners.

I plan on ripping the 45 tappers in my shop on the cabinet saw then glueing and brad them together for the install.

Question is; what kind of glue ? Suggestions

These things are going to be made of primed wood then painted and will see some weather. I'm an interior guy so I'm just wondering about the glue factor.
Off the top of my head, I would say Titebond III.
I've never built anything like that before but I would think there are other issues that could crop up... wood movement maybe.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #3 of 10 Old 11-29-2012, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
Off the top of my head, I would say Titebond III.
I've never built anything like that before but I would think there are other issues that could crop up... wood movement maybe.
Thanks John, I was thinking of using Titebond III , thought maybe someone had used something else like Gorilla glue.

Columns I' going to build are under a 3' overhang but this is Michigan and the weather will change if not in the next 10 minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-29-2012, 10:34 PM

View mickferd's Photo Album My Photos
I'd vote for Titebond 3 or Gorilla as others have recommended.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-30-2012, 07:10 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
make sure to seal/paint the inside of your boxes as well as the outside. i quit building mine with mitered joints, beacuse they tend to open up over the years. now use glued (titebond III) and nailed rabbet - butt joint.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-30-2012, 08:01 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If the joints fit well a glue like Titebond III or Elmer's WoodGlue Max. If there is gaps in the joints a polyurethane glue like gorilla glue or a two part epoxy may be a better choice.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-30-2012, 10:05 AM

View Woodendeavor's Photo Album My Photos
I would use the TB III but would set up the table saw to cut splines in all of the miters for added strength
post #8 of 10 Old 11-30-2012, 04:48 PM

View vsartisan's Photo Album My Photos
45 degree miter on square columns

I have built square columns before and I like using #20 bicuits for my assembly. I'll set up my machine to cut a bisuit hole about 1/8" from the inside edge of the miter. There's enough clearance so you wont be coming out the other side. And I would put them, the most, 12" apart, most likely 8" depend on the size of what I'm building. I've done this myself and wished I had help. Clamping can get complicated. A slower drying glue helps alot also. But its a one shot deal and will be finished and ready to work on in the morning.

VS
post #9 of 10 Old 11-30-2012, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

All good commits, Thanks.

We're using ''Windsor One '' which is a four sided painted product.

Material we are using is basic 1x10, only comes in 16 footer's so after we cut/glue/nail these things together
we will prime all exposed bare wood before install.

Last edited by Leakygoose; 11-30-2012 at 08:37 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-30-2012, 08:31 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
nix on the miters

You are just asking for them to open up. I'd use a half lap rabbet on 2 of the 4 sides and butt in and nail the other 2 sides. Plane off any access and your good to go. You'll have a 3/8" lap that shows from either side, but no daylight/open cracks will ever show. Titebond 3 is the glue I'd use based on other's experiences here.
I use TB 2 or Gorilla Wood on all my interior projects.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode