bed design - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 1 Old 02-17-2016, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

View bws14's Photo Album My Photos
bed design

I am adjusting a bed design so that it can be disassembled. The outer frame and central support will be made out of 4x4s. My question is about fastening them together. The plan was to use L brackets on the inside corners and secure them with carriage bolts. I'd rather keep the L bracket on the inside corner for appearance sake. The problem is the cleats and bolts both belong in the same place on the 4x4 frame--near the center of the 4x4.

Three solutions I am considering:

1. I cut the cleats short, they do not run from head to foot. I place the L bracket exactly where I would if there was no cleat.

2. I fit the L bracket to fit below the cleat? Cleats will be 2x2, attached 3/4ths below 4x4 so slats will sit flush. This gives me about an inch and a quarter to place an L bracket below cleat.

3. I get longer carriage bolts and run them straight through the cleats, placing the L bracket on the inside of the cleats.

Also, will an L bracket and carriage bolts be sufficient?
My design is based off of the bed pictured below-he used lag bolts to build his. I am open to running a few fasteners straight into 4x4s if necessary, just wanting to avoid it so that it can be moved in the future.

This link has more pictures of the bed mine is based off of: http://raoulpop.com/2010/04/15/makin...me/#more-12164

Is there another option I am missing all together?

Thanks for any and all advice!

See attached photo-I will be using different legs in the front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bed.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	216626  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode