Bad hillman wood screws - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 09-16-2020, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

View Carl Worden's Photo Album My Photos
Bad hillman wood screws

I'm curious to know if I got a bad box of screws or if Hillman is selling Chinese junk. I bought a box of 1-1/4" Hillman wood screws for an oak project. I had pre-drilled the holes. Out of 5 screws driven, 3 broke off about 3/8" from the head. The phillips heads stripped out easily, so I returned the box of a refund. I finally found American/German-made screws at Home Depot under the brand name Spax. Now those are real steel! No problems at all.

Another USA manufacturer is Fastenal, and they also make great steel screws.

Carl F. Worden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-17-2020, 12:34 PM

View phaelax's Photo Album My Photos
I've had minor issues with hillman screws, specifically the torx head construction ones. Usually no problem, but one day I had a box and it seemed like several didn't have the torx shaped fully so no bit would fit. I maybe threw out 10 screws from the box, not a super big deal but still annoying. Could be a quality control issue.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-17-2020, 08:39 PM

View Bullseyeguy's Photo Album My Photos
I've never been satisfied with my options at big box. I still buy stuff from them, but I rather dislike Phillips head screws anyways (maybe I'm a snob). I have had occasional "bad" screws...but I do think that the quality of just about anything is not what it used to be. Big Box stores will buy the cheapest stuff they can find, and then beat up the manufacturer on price before they order.
Lowes or HD don't have many options in Torx. I have a bunch of stuff in a cart right now from McFeely's. Mostly square drive...which I also like. I'm trying to resist buying a box of every size, every length and every head shape! Has anyone here ever dealt with McFeely's? Good? Bad??

I hope my wife isn't home when the McFeely's semi pulls up in front of our house to deliver!

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-17-2020, 09:20 PM

View Tom-G's Photo Album My Photos
I order from McFeely’s periodically. Never had an issue with their products.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode