Attaching aprons to prefabricated legs... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 03-03-2014, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
No shop woodshop

View maybedave's Photo Album My Photos
Question Attaching aprons to prefabricated legs...

Hi guys,

My first post here, so thank you ahead of time for your help. I hope to repay with contributions in the future.

I am working on a coffee table for which my girlfriend requested Queen Anne legs. I bought these from Lowe's but did not realize that they would have have notches and threads already in it. (image below). By the way, what are those notches called?

1. The original plan was to use pocket holes, but now my guess is that I have to attach it using a surface mount corner bracket like this?

2. The apron is made of 3/4" stock... should I chisel out the opening on the leg or cut out the end of skirt to fit, like a tenon?

3. How the heck do I figure out the size of a bolt that will fit those threads?

Many thanks,
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	90225  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-04-2014, 06:14 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I don't care for the way that leg is made. It makes using it harder than it needs to be. Then where it is morticed for a rail with a tenon the mortice is really too shallow to make a strong joint. The threaded inserts probably use a 1/4"-20. You would drill holes in the end of the skirt as though you were putting dowels in the thread holes. Then on the back side of the rail where the head of the bolt would fit you would drill a hole with a forsner bit to insert the cam bolt. When you go to assemble it you just tighten the bolts into the legs and insert the bolts into the skirt and turn the cam nut to tighten. The image has the cam bolt with a lag screw thread on it. They are also available with 1/4"-20 thread. It was the only image that had both pieces in one picture.

The metal corner bracket you have in the link would add strength but it is really intended to make the legs removable. You could mount the skirt to that and just use that to mount the legs and ignore the fastening provided on the leg. To do that you might have to use an easy out and remove the threaded inserts.
Attached Images

Last edited by Steve Neul; 03-04-2014 at 06:21 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-05-2014, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
No shop woodshop

View maybedave's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for your reply, Mr. Neul.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the way it was made either, but it sure was tough to find queen anne legs at a decent price... maybe I just didn't know where to look?

Those notches are only 3/8" x 3/8" x 2 1/2" and milled to lousy tolerances and not providing a tight fit, even if my apron was that exact size. With that issue plus the fact that my apron is 1" thick, I've decided that the best option is to cut small blocks to actually fill those gaps back in. I'll remove the threaded inserts and fill the holes, too. Then back to plan A for with pocket holes and screws.

Many thanks! I'm learning lots already.

Making it all up as I go...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-05-2014, 07:52 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybedave View Post
Thanks for your reply, Mr. Neul.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the way it was made either, but it sure was tough to find queen anne legs at a decent price... maybe I just didn't know where to look?

Those notches are only 3/8" x 3/8" x 2 1/2" and milled to lousy tolerances and not providing a tight fit, even if my apron was that exact size. With that issue plus the fact that my apron is 1" thick, I've decided that the best option is to cut small blocks to actually fill those gaps back in. I'll remove the threaded inserts and fill the holes, too. Then back to plan A for with pocket holes and screws.

Many thanks! I'm learning lots already.
Another option is you might remove the threaded inserts and drill it out for dowels. You could also tenon you rail to fit the leg on the other side and since it is shallow put dowels in it too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode