attaching apron to table legs - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

View panhandler's Photo Album My Photos
attaching apron to table legs

Hey all. Longtime member and learner, but sadly post very little. I love learning from everyone's amazing projects

Well currently I am working on a dining table. It is 60" square and is made out of cherry cut from a friend's field, milled and stick stacked for about 18 years to dry. Most of it was 4/4 stock with one 9/8 10" x 8" that I am using for the legs.

Btw is 2 1/2 square legs strong enough for this table?

The table will mostly be cherry, but I am considering a 6" border of a contrasting dark wood for the table top ( last board on each edge and the bread board ends) and have narrowed it down to Bubinga or walnut. I have couple of samples coming. Any suggestions?

Well now for the question I am wrestling with. How should I attack the legs and apron? I have thought about pocket hole screws and the angle attachment but am worried it won't hold up. But Was leaning toward loose tendon joinery. I bought Jessum's loose tendon jig, but have not used it yet. I was wondering if this was a good option for attaching the legs to the apron. Has anyone used this jig?

And then there is always the mortise and tendon joinery. I know I this has been used most of the time for for this type of joinery. Just wondering about everyone's thoughts on other methods.

Also I will also be attaching a support in the center of the apron frame.

Any help for this rookie would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 09:09 AM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
I Think You Answered Your Own Question...

Mortise and tenon would be the preferred method of joinery.

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #3 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Scotty. That is what I was leaning towards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 11:01 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdntrdr View Post
Mortise and tenon would be the preferred method of joinery.
Yes.

George
post #5 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 11:02 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
2 1/2" legs would probably be strong enough, but might look too small. I assume that they will be at the corners.

I think I would start them larger at the top and taper down.

George
post #6 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 11:38 AM

View Woodenhorse's Photo Album My Photos
With thinner legs I would recommend having 6 or 8 legs instead of 4. They can be grouped in the case of 8 legs so you'll have a span across the middle. I would also lean heavily toward mortise and tenon for strength and stability. You might also consider a laminated leg construction or mitered and glued up box legs, with a core to accommodate the mt joinery.

Those who say it cannot be done should stay out of the way of the people doing it.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 12:05 PM

View Midlandbob's Photo Album My Photos
I have been using 4-5 inch aprons. putting a two inch tenon (or loose tendon). Then i put a pocket screw above and below the tenon being sure not to have the screw lined up to hit the 90 degree screw. So far it has worked well. It the tenons are snug, the table can be assembled without gluing the tenons so can assemble on site or take apart. I think it avoids the need for pegs or glue. I have done only a few tables this way but they seem solid.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 06:04 PM

View GerryR's Photo Album My Photos
+1 on the mortise and tenon configuration. Don't know about the Jessum tool, but I have had great success using the Mortise Pal tool on several of my projects. Seems to me the use of a drill versus a router is more convenient, but you be the judge. You do get the utility and strength of the mortise and tenon joint without the need for a tenoning jig and the associated set up time and effort.

Gerry

A REALLY good woodworker knows how to hide his/her mistakes.....
post #9 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 06:22 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
French or sliding dovetail. This picture gives you a good look at how much material is left on a leg after fitting a joint. The corners can be further strengthened with corner blocks let into the aprons, also with French dovetails. Wood shrinks around metal fasteners in time, causing such joints to loosen. M&T have to be planed to leave enough "meat" so the leg corners don't break.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sliding dovetail leg.jpg
Views:	6549
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	63498  

post #10 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 06:34 PM

View Quillman's Photo Album My Photos
Well steel bolts and cross dowels hold up well.
Can withstand, prison riots, bar fights, libraries, and children's playrooms.
Tenons and mortices can be shallow, (just for assembly & registration), the bolts and nuts provide the pull strength, twist resitance and any other load you might apply.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Gerry it is the mortise pal that I have and was thinking of using. What are your thoughts and experiences?
post #12 of 14 Old 02-20-2013, 02:13 AM

View GerryR's Photo Album My Photos
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandler View Post
Gerry it is the mortise pal that I have and was thinking of using. What are your thoughts and experiences?
Panhandler, The mortise Pal is a versatile tool. My thoughts would be to use 2 tenons per apron end, and make the mortises in both parts to be joined evenly spaced and long enough to support the weigh of the table. Probably 1/3 of the leg thickness, just try to avoid having the mortises meet each other in the legs.

That said, the suggestion of a sliding dovetail joint is great. I should give more support for each joint, is strait forward to make, and if done snug will be a self supporting joint for years to come.
Either way you go should be more than adequate to the task. Hope this is of help.

Gerry

A REALLY good woodworker knows how to hide his/her mistakes.....
post #13 of 14 Old 02-20-2013, 02:22 AM

View mmwood_1's Photo Album My Photos
When I make such tables, I use mortise and tenon joints, glued and pinned from the inside. Typically, I will make the apron using 7/8" thickness instead of 3/4". I also make a diagonal brace in the corners, a few inches out from the mortise & tenon joints. Rock solid.
post #14 of 14 Old 02-23-2013, 10:10 AM

View Snaglpuss's Photo Album My Photos
Warning Will Robinson!!

I would make the legs removable- I would be a lot easier if you move in the future to get a table in and out of some rooms and houses if the legs can come off.

On my dining and kitchen table I have the legs attached with hanger bolts that bolt into a heavy 45 degree corner blocks in the apron.
Both tables have been in service for years with no wobble or racking problems.

Mortise and tennon is not needed if my method is executed carefully.
The legs take the down weight of the table, and if the the vertical sides of the legs are tight to the apron you won't get and wobble.

Photos attached -Kitchen table 8yrs old, dining table 21yrs old and the apron is only oak ply and a dutch pullout and no problems with the hanger bolt method.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0101 (640x426).jpg
Views:	23472
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	63838  

Name:	DSC_0102 (640x426).jpg
Views:	16060
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	63839  

Last edited by Snaglpuss; 02-23-2013 at 10:28 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode