• 3 Post By Tool Agnostic
  • 1 Post By DrRobert
  • 1 Post By GeorgeC
  • 1 Post By Tool Agnostic

post #1 of 8 Old 08-22-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Creator of Sawdust

View Ed'sGarage's Photo Album My Photos
assembly of wainscoating frame

I'm wainscoating a room in my house and am planning to assemble the frames on my shop prior to attaching to the wall. Originally I thought biscuits would be the best joinery but then realized that I would need a number of really long clamps to accomplish it(which I don't have). I have now been thinking that pocket screw assembly on the back will work just fine. Has anyone ever done it this way before ?
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-22-2019, 05:24 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
what do you consider "Really Long" ??
there are several ways to apply pressure in gluing stuff together.
a simple drawing or sketch will put everyone on the same page with suggestions.

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-23-2019, 12:22 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Here is an example of the wainscoting in our house. Spouse deserves all the credit. I helped, but only superficially. We gave her a miter saw for Mother's Day a long time ago. It was the smartest investment I ever made. ;-)

The walls were painted. The chair rail, baseboard, and frames were attached using a hammer and finish nails, then punched down, filled, sanded, caulked, and painted. Totally old school. Spouse put them up 14 years ago.

There is zero joinery. Zero biscuits. Zero screws. Zero clamps and zero glue. Zero assembly. Each piece of each frame was nailed separately to the wall. Nobody ever noticed that the frames surround empty wall.

If I had done it, it would have taken triple the time and effort and achieved worse results. :-(
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wainscotting.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	378141  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-23-2019, 04:49 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
Kreg have a video of this on their site. Demonstrating pocket holes.
johnep
post #5 of 8 Old 08-24-2019, 10:27 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
True wainscotting is frame and panels as the OP mentions. Best for natural wood. If painted, often times faux wainscotting (trim attached to walls), as ToolAgnostic illustrates. BTW, I've been in $1M+ homes with faux wainscotting very elegant when done right.

IMO, for frame and panel, pre-assembly using pocket screws is the best way to go. You can assemble multiple panels. I've seen guys build 16' walls right on the job site.
firehawkmph likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-20-2019, 08:30 PM

View Jared Sankovich's Photo Album My Photos
A bit late,assembly of wainscoating frame-20190406_230206_1569025783126.jpg but these are pocket screwed together
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190406_075447_887_1569025704642.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	378977  

post #7 of 8 Old 09-21-2019, 06:50 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
Here is an example of the wainscoting in our house. Spouse deserves all the credit. I helped, but only superficially. We gave her a miter saw for Mother's Day a long time ago. It was the smartest investment I ever made. ;-)

The walls were painted. The chair rail, baseboard, and frames were attached using a hammer and finish nails, then punched down, filled, sanded, caulked, and painted. Totally old school. Spouse put them up 14 years ago.

There is zero joinery. Zero biscuits. Zero screws. Zero clamps and zero glue. Zero assembly. Each piece of each frame was nailed separately to the wall. Nobody ever noticed that the frames surround empty wall.

If I had done it, it would have taken triple the time and effort and achieved worse results. :-(

You have a talented wife who deserves praise. She did your wainscoting exactly the same way I did mine. Much simpler than assembly in shop.

George
Tool Agnostic likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-21-2019, 10:25 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
You have a talented wife who deserves praise. She did your wainscoting exactly the same way I did mine. Much simpler than assembly in shop.
Agreed, Spouse is special and I feel blessed to share my life with her. I got the better part of the deal. One time I mentioned that she found a #4 hand plane for me at a thrift store, and someone here wrote, "And you have a spouse that keeps a look out for tools, lucky guy." True, that.
mreynolds7714 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode