another beginner's questions on joining - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 02-18-2020, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Mo

View Moshe Kwart's Photo Album My Photos
another beginner's questions on joining

I am new to this and would appreciate some advice. I am starting to plan a coffee table probably out of oak. The table size being about 63x115cm (approx. 25x45 inches). I have not looked for the wood yet, but imagine making the top out of 2x6 inch boards 45 inches long glued together. My guess is that the table top will be 5 boards wide before trimming.
1) Can I just surface the edges of the boards, glue and clamp? Will that be strong enough or should I learn to dowel the boards together or pocket screws and glue or other? I have not thought out the design of the base yet, but I can plan it with crosswise supports.
2) Surfacing the edges: I do not have a table saw. My thoughts are to surface both edges of each board on a router table. I don't know that I can get both edges of a single board perfectly parallel with only a router table, but I don't think that it's a problem for a table top of the same wood that is not contoured with anything else.
I plan to buy a Kreg Accu Cut guide track for my circular saw, but will be surprised if this will help here.
So in short, you have a beginner here with beginner's language and a little bit of experience. Your shared wisdom will be so appreciated.
Best,
Mo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-18-2020, 08:41 PM

View B Coll's Photo Album My Photos
For what it is worth, here is how I would approach it with a router. I make a perfectly straight template board, mdf would be fine. After surfacing your stock I would mount the template edge to your stock leaving the stock overhanging approximately 1/8". With a ball bearing pattern bit, guide the bit on the template edge cutting the stock flush. I would use the largest diameter bit I can get hold of, around 1 to 1-1/2" diameter would be great. Mark what side the pattern was on with an arrow. Continue and do the other boards. When you put it together, alternate up and down arrows to allow for any out of vertical of your router. I would not use a router table as the fence is too short and it requires you to hold the board consistently flat on the table, and against the fence. Too complicated.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-18-2020, 10:40 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
If you get the Kreg Accu Cut guide that should be all you need as long as you have a good blade in your circular saw.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-18-2020, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Mo

scenario with saw guide

Would you use the accu cut guide for one edge or both edges of the board?
What are the parameters of a good saw blade for this project?
Is gluing without dowels/pocket screws enough?
Thank you.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-18-2020, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Mo

B Coll,
Are you telling me to do the same on both edges of each board? After doing so I should turn every other board over to mirror any vertical out?
Your opinion on need for dowels or screws?
Thanks very much.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-18-2020, 11:28 PM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe Kwart View Post
B Coll,

Are you telling me to do the same on both edges of each board? After doing so I should turn every other board over to mirror any vertical out?

Your opinion on need for dowels or screws?

Thanks very much.

No dowels or screws needed. If this is your first time, I suggest you glue only one joint at a time rather than gluing all five boards at once.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-18-2020, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Mo

Terry, Yes, first time. OK thank you.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-19-2020, 09:38 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
You may get a good enough surface you'll just have to try it. It depends on the quality of your saw and blade. I suggest using a new blade with at least 40 teeth and go slowly and carefully as any wobble or changes in pressure will be reflected into the cut.

If the edges need to be dressed, it can be done with a flush trim bit and a straight edge. IMO this is best done by hand, not on a router table because if there is any bowing or twist, the router is registered against the board. The factory edge of plywood or MDF will work.

I don't normally use alignment aids for a panel glue up. My method is to apply increment clamping pressure correcting any discrepancies with finger pressure or tapping or with a rubber hammer.

If there any bowing present, I will usually use either biscuits or Dominos for alignment.

I would recommend you get a couple hand planes: a #4 and #6. These two planes will be very useful for you, relieve a lot of headache with procedures like this, and, the sound and sight of wood shavings really make you feel like a craftsman!!

Robert
post #9 of 10 Old 02-19-2020, 09:43 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
I made a circular saw guide from instructions in the forum. Enabled me to make a kitchen cabinet.
johnep
post #10 of 10 Old 02-19-2020, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Mo

Dr. Robert,
I had never considered hand planes and don't know how to use them. The idea is actually appealing. I see them mentioned often enough on these forums to guess that they are still valid this day and age. I'll look at a few YouTubes to get a better idea of what they can do. I have always assumed that it is a tool of a serious craftsman.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode