Woodworking Talk banner

2nd attempt with Rockler dovetail jig

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  OnealWoodworking 
#1 ·
I had time to try the dovetail jig again today and I have to say I am getting somewhat frustrated. I seem to be unable to get the through dovetails deep enough. I am using my Festool 1400 and the jig. If I set the bit out too far it won't cut the wood and if I set it so it will cut the wood the resulting cut is not deep enough for the pins to match up. Any ideas on what the heck I am doing wrong. Also, the first dovetails which were too short were cut nicely, but later attempts are not as nice and look kind of jagged. If you have any ideas, I would love to hear them.
Also, I would like to ask a couple of other questions. Are the Leigh jigs worth the added expense? And what is the difference between the DR4 and the Super series. Is the DR4 worth the extra hundred dollars? If I upgrade, I want to do it right.

#3 ·
Since you have a new router jig, I would stay with it and learn to use it.
I will get some push back on this, but all dovetail jigs are made to do the same thing.
The differences can be in the directions that comes with the jig and the ease of set up.
Study your directione thoroughly. Practice on some scrap wood. You can do it.

#4 ·
Are the Leigh jigs worth the added expense?

If I upgrade, I want to do it right.

Yes. The Leigh jigs are top notch and very popular / common. This means that replacement parts / bits or upgrades will be easy to find and relatively inexpensive as compared to a machine that is not as commonly used.

I consider the Leigh stuff to be 'professional grade' dovetail tools.

The Rockler stuff is not even close in my opinion...

If you care to post some pictures of your problem joints I can offer advice as to what you need to adjust. A picture really is worth a thousand words...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.