• 2 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By epicfail48
  • 1 Post By GeorgeC
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By 4DThinker

post #1 of 10 Old 04-21-2017, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

View cheppere's Photo Album My Photos
1/16" countersink for dowel

I read in the article below that it helps to countersink the drill hole for a dowel using a 1/16" countersink bit. This is the first time I am using dowels and haven't been able to find that drill bit anywhere. Thoughts?

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwork.../joinery/dowel

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-21-2017, 07:57 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Just a slight touch with a large countersink will do the job. If you don't have a countersink, you could touch it with a larger twist drill. Maybe use a 3/8" bit over a 1/4" hole or 1/2" bit on 3/8" hole.
I've never done this step. Old furniture used smooth dowels. I don't think Fluted factory made dowels were available until the '70's.
Dowels have improved and glue has improved.
There are so many ways to join lumber, it becomes a personal favorite for choice.
Dowels, Kreg system, domino, mortise and tenon, biscuits, etc, etc.
cheppere likes this.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #3 of 10 Old 04-21-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
Just a slight touch with a large countersink will do the job. If you don't have a countersink, you could touch it with a larger twist drill. Maybe use a 3/8" bit over a 1/4" hole or 1/2" bit on 3/8" hole.
I've never done this step. Old furniture used smooth dowels. I don't think Fluted factory made dowels were available until the '70's.
Dowels have improved and glue has improved.
There are so many ways to join lumber, it becomes a personal favorite for choice.
Dowels, Kreg system, domino, mortise and tenon, biscuits, etc, etc.
That makes sense, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-21-2017, 10:07 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
There is no such countersink bit ...

The reference to 1/16" is the amount or depth or bevel, not the diameter. Any countersink bit that is larger than the hole will make that bevel on the inside of the hole.
FrankC and cheppere like this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 10 Old 04-22-2017, 02:41 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Countersinking the dowel holy just makes it slightly easier to get the dowels in their proper holes during assembly. It pretty much makes a larger hole for a tiny bit of length for the dowel to slip into before the taper of the countersink forces the dowel into the hole proper. It makes a funnel pretty much.

Its helpful to be sure, but personally i wouldnt say its 100% necessary, not in wood at least. I dont think ive ever countersunk the holes for dowels, too much time for too little benefit in my opinion. I only ever countersink for screw heads. If you want to countersink for your dowels though, splurge and get a 0 flute or weldon style countersink:
https://www.amazon.com/KEO-53512-Sin...on+countersink

Theyre a little pricier than a 'standard' fluted countersink, but cut a lot smoother. If you cant find a weldon, single flutes are the next best thing. Id stay away from the 5 flute countersins for wood, they dont cut well and leave a really nasty end result. They do okay in metal though
cheppere likes this.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #6 of 10 Old 04-22-2017, 08:11 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Countersink would be OK is it cannot be seen in the final assembly. However, if it can be seen it will detract from the look.

Unless you are doing a mass assembly where time is important I see no need of it regardless. Even then it would take longer to drill the countersink than to insert the dowel.

George
cheppere likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-22-2017, 08:25 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
bevel the dowels end

Just run the end of the dowels on a belt sander rotating them quickly to form a bevel. The bevel will make them easier to insert and drive in.This will make a cleaner joint than a countersink on the surface. Saw the dowels off and sand them flush.... done.
cheppere likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 10 Old 04-22-2017, 11:55 PM

View 4DThinker's Photo Album My Photos
The reason to bevel/chamfer the edge of a dowel hole in side or face grain is because when drilled out you have exposed the inside of the hole which has end grain that can wick up anything moist. Add glue (which is moist) and it can make the edge of a raw hole swell enough to keep a joint from closing tight. No need to bother chamfering holes cut into end grain unless you haven't chamfered the other side which is face/side grain. A chamfer in one side will allow room for any swelling that may come from the other side.

4D
cheppere likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-26-2017, 08:28 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DThinker View Post
The reason to bevel/chamfer the edge of a dowel hole in side or face grain is because when drilled out you have exposed the inside of the hole which has end grain that can wick up anything moist. Add glue (which is moist) and it can make the edge of a raw hole swell enough to keep a joint from closing tight. No need to bother chamfering holes cut into end grain unless you haven't chamfered the other side which is face/side grain. A chamfer in one side will allow room for any swelling that may come from the other side.

4D
Great explanation, and totally logistical, never really had the time to put it into practice, always just used some good clamps and hoped for the best.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #10 of 10 Old 05-04-2017, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's help! I just laid the 3rd coat of Poly on my project.... just have to let it dry and put it to use. 😄

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode