Adding A Section For Controversial Discussions? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 66Likes

post #1 of 35 Old 01-17-2018, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

View Cricket's Photo Album My Photos
Adding A Section For Controversial Discussions?

Sometimes, our members want to discuss things going on in the news and how it impacts their lives. Unfortunately, that will often involve discussing politics, religion, or other controversial topics, which violates our rules in this community.

Many of the communities (that I work with) have a special section for these controversial discussions so that those who want to join in can do so, and for those who choose not to, they can simply ignore that section or ask me to block it for them.

After discussing this with our mod team, we decided to bring this question to our members for their input.

How would you feel about us adding a private controversial section here in the community?

"Show respect even to people who donít deserve it, not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 01-17-2018, 02:45 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Have you ever heard of a "tail puller" at a military dinning our or one of our social clubs. It is a person who is responsible for periodically offering toasts in a manner to keep someone else's ego from getting too big.

I enjoy the controversial topic arena as I like to act as an unofficial tail puller for those people who want to get too high on their horse.

I am all for it.

George
Cricket likes this.
post #3 of 35 Old 01-17-2018, 03:06 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
I have seen these open discussions sections added at other forums I participate on. Everyone of them turned into a free for all with little to no respect. I, for one, donít care if such a section is added but I will not participate.
Tennessee Tim, gj13us and red68mgb like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 01-17-2018, 03:10 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Some are kind of fun, others get way too vulgar, they will take a lot more moderating
post #5 of 35 Old 01-17-2018, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

View Cricket's Photo Album My Photos
I truly appreciate the input and hope to hear from everyone before making a decision.

"Show respect even to people who donít deserve it, not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours."
post #6 of 35 Old 01-17-2018, 03:49 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
do we not have enough nastigrams & strife already?

I've been sitting on the sidelines pending the dust to settle on the last kerfluffle.

if you must, make it a private section and require members request to opt in. then, when someone drags the mess into another section or starts with the potshots to get even for comments the closed section, ban them.
post #7 of 35 Old 01-17-2018, 05:48 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Not in favor of it. Seen too much on just regular forums.
new2woodwrk and red68mgb like this.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #8 of 35 Old 01-17-2018, 06:04 PM

View new2woodwrk's Photo Album My Photos
I'm on many, many forums of all types and while I see these "off topic" sections and have even read a few of them, I tend to participate only in those that manage to keep it civil - which is not many LOL.

Usually those are threads not political or religious in nature - Music, movies, games, gossip etc. type threads

I don't mind discussing politics sometimes but it depends on the subject and the stance of other posters.

I never discuss religion, ever, anywhere with anyone!

One thing that disturbs me about these "off topic" areas, is when regular members offer opinions or engage, the "attitude" and "exception taking" sometimes carries over into the normal threads.

What I mean by this is as example: "Hey, you said gun owners are a bunch of crazed killers, so I'm not going to listen to anything you have to say", "Oh you, you support the president you must be racist". It can get very ugly and IMO can ruin a good forum quickly and forever.

I probably would not participate in one here. There are plenty of other forums on the internet where one could go to get harassed or flamed for their political, religious or controversial views.

Thanks for the thought though LOL
post #9 of 35 Old 01-17-2018, 06:56 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
The forum where there are the most heated discussions is one where you pay $20 per year to participate. The vast majority are ultra conservative, and while I am very conservative I have a lot of fun pulling their tails. I do not care who you are, you must keep yourself posting only provable facts. People are just too gullible when it is something they want to believe.

There was an old saying in school, "cooperate and graduate." That holds very true in life also. We must live together and make what compromises are necessary.

George
Toolman50 likes this.
post #10 of 35 Old 01-17-2018, 07:04 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Wasn't there a similar idea posted recently?

I think the reason this forum is successful is because of the decorum. We are polite and courteous in all ways possible, with the very rare exception. This keeps us on a friendly basis. When you start getting controversial subjects I think this friendly quality may be lost. If something can go wrong, it will go wrong, as the saying by Murphy goes..... If you don't have a forum for these kinds of discussion, they can't happen. Ya wanna argue about somethin? go post on a blog that discusses politics. I hear Facebook has a whole bunch of dogfights gonin' on, but I wouldn't know about that.

For me the answer is NO, not needed.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
35015 (01-18-2018), hawkeye10 (10-18-2019)
post #11 of 35 Old 01-17-2018, 07:16 PM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Don't mean any disrespect but no way. I go on some other forums and man alive they can get violent. The "Casual Discussion" threads are kept decently clean but the "Current Events" sections can get pretty nasty sometimes. The ones I go on don't moderate those sections in order to not have moderators favorite certain opinions. This allows for decently fair discussion but it does ruin relationships with people on the forum and really can go south sometimes. If people want to discuss politics, religion or other topics at risk of being rather "Heated" it's best to leave that to other forums or private messages. If you really want to do one though I would highly recommend a VERY high post count in order to post or even see it. If you don't spammers will flock and that'll only end badly.

I vote No.

God I love Trigger. Inferno Cop is exactly the sort of idiocy they do, It's what makes them so cool. Met them all, great guys.
post #12 of 35 Old 01-17-2018, 07:27 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
We tend to get off topic regularly and send a post down a rabbit trail, but Iíve never thought about a special section designated specifically for controversial discussions.
Since this is the only forum Iím active on, I have no knowledge of problems with this new proposed section. I think I agree with George. This might be the tail puller section and could be fun.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #13 of 35 Old 01-17-2018, 07:54 PM

View bargoon's Photo Album My Photos
I thought this is a woodworking forum. I can't help but think the politics would spill over to the general woodworking sections. I'm sure there lots of other on-line sites for people to express their religious, political and controversial views.
I, for one am NOT in favour.

THE GOOD NEWS: You create your own destiny...THE BAD NEWS: You create your own destiny
post #14 of 35 Old 01-17-2018, 08:06 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
I think the reason this forum is successful is because of the decorum. We are polite and courteous in all ways possible, with the very rare exception. This keeps us on a friendly basis. When you start getting controversial subjects I think this friendly quality may be lost. If something can go wrong, it will go wrong, as the saying by Murphy goes..... If you don't have a forum for these kinds of discussion, they can't happen. Ya wanna argue about somethin? go post on a blog that discusses politics. I hear Facebook has a whole bunch of dogfights gonin' on, but I wouldn't know about that.

For me the answer is NO, not needed.
No, it is the same idea. You just got a sneak preview.
Tennessee Tim and 35015 like this.
post #15 of 35 Old 01-17-2018, 08:28 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
I'm a member of a car forum and it has a "politics & religion" forum and is quite separate from the "off topics" forum. It's generally a dumping ground for the Mods when a thread is unseemly and is usually not worth looking at. The good news is that it is only view able if you are logged in. It's blocked to guests. You can also block it from your login ID. That site is also a vBulletin hosted site like this one.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
post #16 of 35 Old 01-17-2018, 08:39 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
That seems like an amazingly horrible idea. Its not like those arguments are ever going to stay cordoned into that one little area for controversial topics, soon enough the entire forum will turn into a colossal flame war.

Lets just keep that whole "no politics" rule in place, shall we? Keep it woodworking!

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
post #17 of 35 Old 01-18-2018, 12:44 AM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
NO!!!

I think we have a great site as it is.

I, as I'm assure others , have said something that just did not go as planned/meant/or spoken BUT we couldn't change the misunderstanding or the feelings hurt once done. A controversial forum WOULD ONLY make things worse as they would not calm/settle down BUT just get fueled more.

Let's keep this woodworking. I vote NO!!!
35015, hawkeye10, Kerrys and 1 others like this.

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
........www.TSMFarms.com.......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tennessee Tim For This Useful Post:
post #18 of 35 Old 01-18-2018, 09:54 AM

View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
I was on a motorcycle forum where they had one and it didn't end well. The arguments always spill over. There's already enough argument about how to properly cut a mortise, or how much dust collection we need.

On the other hand, I guess you could put every Sawstop thread in there, since they almost always devolve into rants about government overreach.

In conclusion, No, I wouldn't like it. If it gets set up, I'll avoid it. I don't come here for drama; I'm interested in woodworking.
post #19 of 35 Old 01-18-2018, 01:41 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I am new to Woodworking Talk, but not to forums in general.

It bothered me to see politics injected into some threads here in Woodworking Talk. The objectionable comments came from longstanding members. As a newcomer, I did not say anything or flag the posts as inappropriate, even though they were improper for a woodworking forum and they bothered me personally.

There is another reason I did not say anything. In my local community, most of the woodworkers I have met are well into their 70s and beyond. For some of them, their actions and statements are offensive in today's context, but they don't recognize it. They are good people who mean well. You must understand the context of the culture in which they grew up, and be willing to accept the fact that some of them cannot easily adapt their actions and statements to a newer cultural context. They don't want to be offensive, but it is difficult for them to change now, especially with their advancing years. Of course, people can be offensive at any age, but younger people should know better.

I believe that creating a special section for controversial discussions is not necessary, and not a good idea. I wonder whether a special section would serve as a healthy, useful outlet? More likely it will lead to increased resentment and animosity between members. Woodworking Talk is about woodworking, not politics and unrelated controversial topics. Woodworking Talk is so good at organizing and sharing discussions about woodworking. Would it really serve the community to branch out into unrelated topics?

I believe that Woodworking Talk would be best served if members:

* Stay focused on civil and courteous discussions about woodworking.
* Self-police inappropriate political and controversial posts in the discussions.
* Take political and other controversial topics to other forums on the internet, not Woodworking Talk.
post #20 of 35 Old 01-18-2018, 01:48 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Definitely not, for all the reasons that have already been put forth.
Tennessee Tim and hawkeye10 like this.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode