Sizes to start a chisel set - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 02-11-2015, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

View arvanlaar's Photo Album My Photos
Sizes to start a chisel set

Hey All,

So my birthday is coming up. My wife and I are on a strict budget for presents this year so she has $50 to spend for my birthday. She knows I really want tools but isn't sure exactly what I want. I do not have a square yet (which I REALLY need) but if she decides to leave that to me to get, I would also like a small set of a few chisels.

Heres the questions: I am thinking of getting bevel edge chisels because they seem to be used for more projects. How many different sizes should start me off nicely and what sizes would you think would be the most versatile?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-11-2015, 04:35 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
I would get a good square before the chisels. If you get the chisels I would get a 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and maybe a 1 inch.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-11-2015, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Ya I really do need one... would have come in hand during my project i am doing now. Never fun eye balling with trimmed 2x4s.... lol

so basically 1/4" increments will be good?

For the square, how do you know which ones are the best? Like which ones hold their square longest? I am sure metal over plastic or wood but what else makes one more expensive and better than the other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-11-2015, 05:09 PM

Sizes to start a chisel set

The squares I use the most are my 2 Starrett squares, and 3 Swanson speed squares. All five squares are square. The easiest way to check for square is draw a line, and flip the square over and check the line. The Starrett squares are expensive, but the Swanson only cost about $10.

Sizes to start a chisel set-imageuploadedbywood-working-talk1423692398.100188.jpgSizes to start a chisel set-imageuploadedbywood-working-talk1423692412.836544.jpgSizes to start a chisel set-imageuploadedbywood-working-talk1423692421.940269.jpgSizes to start a chisel set-imageuploadedbywood-working-talk1423692438.661547.jpg
post #5 of 11 Old 02-11-2015, 05:12 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Are you looking for carpenters chisels or carving chisels?
post #6 of 11 Old 02-11-2015, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

@hwebb - I've seen the Swanson ones at Home depot for a good price. Maybe I should pick something up from there. The Starrett combination squares I hear are fantastic but cost a small fortune haha. Maybe I should start with a normal square first and save up for a Starrett :)

@Steve - Carpenters chisels. Particularly bevel edge chisels I think. Mostly for cleaning up cuts. I actually JUST finished using my first chisel ever :D I was cleaning up a piece of Red Oak for a gift I am making my dad. Just a really cheap set my father in law lent me for the week. Man is it hard to chisel across Red Oak grain :S
post #7 of 11 Old 02-11-2015, 10:57 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Cutting oak across the grain you need carving chisels. A little contour to the chisel makes a big difference. As far as carpenters chisels I bought a set from Harbor Freight with plastic handles and they work as well as any chisels I have.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-11-2015, 11:28 PM

Almost any cheap chisel should do fine. As with any tool you just have to keep it sharp.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-12-2015, 06:37 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvanlaar View Post
Ya I really do need one... would have come in hand during my project i am doing now. Never fun eye balling with trimmed 2x4s.... lol

so basically 1/4" increments will be good?

For the square, how do you know which ones are the best? Like which ones hold their square longest? I am sure metal over plastic or wood but what else makes one more expensive and better than the other?
The best square is the one that is square when you purchase it. See recent thread on checking "squareness" in store.

Squares do not lose their accuracy unless acted upon by outside force. Such as dropping it.

My starter and final set of chisels is 1/4" 1/4" and 1". That has done everything I wanted done for the past 40 years.

Square is much more important. The type of square you purchase depends upon what you are gong to do with it.

George
post #10 of 11 Old 02-12-2015, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys :) I will take that with me and hopefully expand my tool collection! Get some of the basics done and set up.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-15-2015, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

My wife and I were at homehardware this weekend and I had a few dollars from my spending money for the month burning a hole in my pocket so I splurged and spent it all on a $10 square that from measuring it up against the floor tiles was perfectly square. Can't wait to use it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode