Screws for intricate projects - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tool Agnostic

post #1 of 12 Old 03-29-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

View HarryC's Photo Album My Photos
Screws for intricate projects

Hi,

I'm making a jewelry box for my granddaughter. Its made from pine, which are the best screws to avoid splitting the wood?

Regards,

Harry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-29-2019, 10:17 AM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
How thick is the wood you are using? How big (dimensions) is the jewelry box? What sort of lid, or doors, will it have (i.e. hinges?). Does it have a lift out tray, or drawers? Blind answer would likely be #4 or #6 flat head wood screws counter bored and counter sunk with wooden plugs to cover, but my preference would be based on the design.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
post #3 of 12 Old 03-29-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Hi,

Its 25cm x 17cm and 10cm tall. It has a tray at the bottom and then a hinge at the top.

Regards,

Harry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-29-2019, 11:48 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
It isn't about the screws, it is about the careful, accurate pre-drilling. If you aren't sure about your pre-drilling, try practicing on scrapwood and test how the screws fit.

How will the screws be used?

If you are planning to use the screws to assemble the jewelry box itself, then consider using clamps and wood glue instead. For most jewelry boxes, the only screws used are for the hardware - hinges, catches, clasps, knobs, supports, chains, etc. (Sometimes screws are used to attach decorative elements, or used as decoration themselves.)

Jewelry box hardware often comes with matching screws. Otherwise, choose small screws, sized appropriately for your box. They are available in a variety of finishes. Bright brass is popular. Countersunk flathead screws or round-head screws are both common, depending on use.
mmwood_1 likes this.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-29-2019, 01:18 PM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
post #6 of 12 Old 03-29-2019, 04:17 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryC View Post
Hi,

I'm making a jewelry box for my granddaughter. Its made from pine, which are the best screws to avoid splitting the wood?

The best "screws" to use is glue. Screws have no place in the construction of a jewelry box.

George
post #7 of 12 Old 03-29-2019, 08:28 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Hi,

It's not so much the type of screws you use but how you use them. If you drill a pilot hole the size of the shank of the screw it shouldn't split even with the most brittle wood.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-01-2019, 08:53 PM
I like Nails

View SeanStuart's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
It's not so much the type of screws you use but how you use them. If you drill a pilot hole the size of the shank of the screw it shouldn't split even with the most brittle wood.

I usually just hold the bit up next to the screw and guess, but is there a rule of thumb re: size of bit to screw size? For example, #8 screw requires a 1/8 inch bit, #4 a 1/16, etc? This would be handy.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-01-2019, 09:25 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanStuart View Post
I usually just hold the bit up next to the screw and guess, but is there a rule of thumb re: size of bit to screw size? For example, #8 screw requires a 1/8 inch bit, #4 a 1/16, etc? This would be handy.
Screws vary from type and brand. If you just match the drill bit to the solid part of the center of the screw all that should be cutting into the wood is the threads. The solid part of the center (shank) is what splits the wood.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-05-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Hi Steve,

Please could you tell me which screw types you recommend? I think I'm going to order some flat head wood screws.

Regards,

Harry
post #11 of 12 Old 04-05-2019, 06:19 PM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
If you ever receive an offer from wood magazine don’t throw it away until you take this two sided chart that is in the mailer.

The other side has drill bit speeds for different kinds of bits, sizes and uses for setting the speed on your drill press.

There are many good screws these days. GRK is a premium brand, but there are others. Look for modern designs, rather than “traditional” wood screws. Premium screws have superior cutting points, uniform thickness, and other features.

http://www.buygrkfasteners.com/media...ose-screws.jpg

Steve still prefers drywall screws because he is stuck in his ways, but there are really good screws out there. Phillips head screws are almost as obsolete as slotted drives these days. I prefer to use TORX or Robertson/square drive screws wherever possible.

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.
The Following User Says Thank You to Terry Q For This Useful Post:
Zoe. (04-10-2019)
post #12 of 12 Old 04-05-2019, 07:59 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Hi Steve,

Please could you tell me which screw types you recommend? I think I'm going to order some flat head wood screws.
Steve can't answer better than anyone else, because he doesn't know what you plan to do with the screws.

Please tell us how you want to use the screws. Are you planning to screw the sides and bottom of the jewelry box together? Will you use screws to assemble the tray, too? Am I right about any of that?

Tell us more about your jewelry box design. How will you cut the pieces? What tools will you use? How do you plan to assemble it? Will you use wood glue, too? Can you post a drawing?

-> If we know more, then we can give you better answers. We want to help, but you have to help us, too.

Using screws to assemble the jewelry box could work, but it is not the usual way to make a jewelry box. If you can't help us any more, then buy #4 flathead wood screws. Choose screws so that at least 9 mm (~3/8 inch) of the tip goes into the soft pine wood. Pre-drill the holes first to avoid splitting. Be extra careful not to strip the screws in the soft pine wood. I chose #4 screws because they are small and you are building a jewelry box.

By the way, after you give her the nice jewelry box, your granddaughter will expect you to fill it. :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode