• 1 Post By epicfail48
  • 2 Post By Pirate
  • 1 Post By John Smith_inFL
  • 1 Post By DrRobert
  • 1 Post By Tool Agnostic

post #1 of 11 Old 11-24-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
Newbe chisel sugestions

My nephew asked my fro recommendation for affordable chisel set.
I have no idea.
Would palm chisels be easier to control?
Any recommendations on chisels to
buy would help.
Thanks folks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-24-2019, 04:44 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
I bought a set of "palm chisels" from WoodCraft several
years ago and never used them. I gave them to my neighbor.
how old is your nephew and what kind of woodworking does he do?

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 11-24-2019 at 04:47 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-24-2019, 06:45 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
To give recommendations, we need to know what youre trying to do. Are these carving chisels, or is your nephew just wanting a set of bench chisels? General purpose, cutting mortises, dovetails?
Tool Agnostic likes this.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-24-2019, 09:03 PM
No Longer Here

View bob493's Photo Album My Photos
Narex all the way if you need a full set of chisels.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-25-2019, 07:27 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
These would be fine ...

We don't need to know if they are for dovetails or mortises, really. He just want's to chisel away some wood like we all did starting out. Then when he does know what he's are doing he can get a specific set for woodworking. These are for carpentry:
https://www.amazon.com/Narex-Republi...id=1574684495&

My favorite wood chisels have an off set neck;
https://www.amazon.com/Narex-Premium...%2C191&sr=8-14

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 11 Old 11-25-2019, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
He's in his 30's
One chisel he is interested in is a scabbard chisel. Talk about expensive.
What's so special?
Could another chisel be modified? Or substituted?
He makes custom knives. Hand forges the blades.
I told him to make one.
BigJim and John Smith_inFL like this.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-25-2019, 08:29 AM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
if you could find a generic photo of the Scabbard Chisel, it would
be nice to see an example of what he is interested in.
googling Scabbard Chisels, yes, they ARE expensive !!
but a skilled and talented knife maker could easily make or modify
one to suit his needs. (depending on how serious he is to have one).

woodnthings likes this.

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 11-25-2019 at 10:45 AM.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-25-2019, 08:54 AM

View AwesomeOpossum74's Photo Album My Photos
If he's interested in chisels for relief carving, and you're ok with buying a set ...

After some research I bought a set of Schaaf carving chisels from Amazon (they arrive tomorrow). From reviews (Amazon, Youtube, forums) they're a startup and seem to be a good choice for a beginner set. Comparing to the better known companies, they are good steel and construction, can be malleted, etc., and they're less than 1/2 price of other sets. Made in China.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The downside is that they need to be final shaped and sharpened, which means I'll need to build honing strops before I can use them (I already have stones).

If you're looking for tutorials on sharpening and using carving chisels, the series I like is by "Mary May".
post #9 of 11 Old 11-25-2019, 10:01 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Take a look at the blue handled Irwin Marples. IMO they are an excellent value and a good starter set. Be prepared for some work flattening the backs (this is going to be true of any non-premium chisel).

The Narex chisels are also pretty decent.

The Marples are a firmer chisel with higher side bevel heights. The Narex premiums have a lower side bevel height suitable for dovetailing.
NoThankyou likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-25-2019, 10:31 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
@Pirate mentioned a chisel set, then later mentioned a scabbard chisel. I do not know anything about scabbard chisels. After looking at photos, I can guess.

Most of the basic bench chisel sets have four chisels - 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and 1 inch. I asked my friends about it, and my friends and I use the 1/2 inch chisel more than all the others combined. Expanded sets typically add 1/8 and 3/8 inch chisels.

Welcome to the real world. These days, chisel sets labeled "1/4, 1/2, ..." may be true Imperial measurements, or they may be metric "equivalents". I have matching sets of Crown chisels with the same part number. The older, used set from a retired woodworker are true 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and 1 inch. A new replacement set mailed directly from Crown was etched with 6, 12, 20, and 25 mm - the metric "equivalents" of my old set. (The reason they sent a replacement is a long story for another thread. Both sets are fine.)

Your nephew probably knows a lot about different kinds of steel. My opinion is that you will get a high quality steel from any bench chisel set from a recognizable brand. Any brand recommended by someone here will be fine.

When people ask me about choosing bench chisels, I tell them to look at the handle material and shape first. Don't worry about the subtle differences between steel alloys or socket vs. tang fittings; all are fine. Instead, hold the chisel handle in your hand in different ways, and imagine how they will feel to grip and use them. Are they comfortable? What if they were sawdusty or oily?

@Pirate said "affordable." Consider picking up a few used chisels at the local swap meet. They practically give them away near me. Learn to sharpen and use them, figure out what you like, and then buy something that fits your needs later. Warning: Old chisels vary considerably in quality. Some will be superb, but some older steels are softer than modern ones. They will be easier to sharpen to a fine edge, but will not hold their edge as long. Great for learning!

POPULAR INEXPENSIVE CHISEL SET, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED BY SOME, BUT NOT BY ME:

If Pirate is looking for a true bargain new chisel set, consider the $6.99 WorkZone chisel set sold once or twice a year at Aldi grocery stores. You have to watch for the ads or hear by word-of-mouth. The famous Paul Sellers (a well-known hand tool woodworker) uses and highly recommends them. Some people here recommend them. I value their opinions, but respectfully disagree. I was not impressed with anything other than the $6.99 price for the entire set. I think they are awful. You get what you pay for. In case it matters, I bought them in early September 2018. I don't know if they appear on a repeating schedule.

Finally, if you are going to recommend a woodworking chisel set, you should advise your nephew that he should have a plan about he wants to flatten the backs and sharpen the new chisels. New chisels will not be sharp out of the box. Used ones will need sharpening. Whatever he buys will need a fresh edge from time to time, too. I do not know whether your nephew's knife sharpening skills can translate directly to chisels. A honing guide and a set of diamond stones might be a nice touch if you want to buy him a gift. Diamond stones are not cheap, but they last nearly forever.

Bonus - A nice gift for your nephew:

Make or buy him a wooden mallet, which is sometimes used for rougher work. He should not be using metal "knife-making" hammers on his woodworking chisels. ... unless he buys those Aldi ones. :-p
AwesomeOpossum74 likes this.

Last edited by Tool Agnostic; 11-25-2019 at 10:37 AM.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-25-2019, 04:56 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Newbie chisel suggestions .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
My nephew asked my fro recommendation for affordable chisel set.
I have no idea.
Would palm chisels be easier to control?
Any recommendations on chisels to
buy would help.
Thanks folks

Well, a scabbard chisel is not typically a Newbies first thought. It's very specific in it's use and application:
https://www.fine-tools.com/scabbardchisel.html

and expensive:
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/3...-nomi-kawasei#

A skilled knifemaker would be able to make their own. You might ask him why he wants that particular type?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode