Need info on Wood Carving tools - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 09-26-2018, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

View TimR's Photo Album My Photos
Question Need info on Wood Carving tools

My Dad passed away a year ago. He took lessons from a fellow in Frankenmuth, MI about 20 +/- years ago. He has a set of tools. All I could see on the metal is what looks like "CH Germany". The have wood handles. There are 27 tools in the set.

Anyone have an idea of the value of these? Also, suggestions on best way to sell? I appreciate any input.

Last edited by BigJim; 09-26-2018 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Email address remove for safety reasons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-26-2018, 09:46 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
I suggest that you ask again in the carving website forums of Woodcarving Illustrated Magazine.
All kinds of carvers from all over the world.
My condolences on your Dad's passing.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-26-2018, 10:15 PM
Central Florida

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
Tim, my condolences on your Dad's passing as well.

if you could post some photos of the set and some close up
shots of the trademark, that may help.
each tool will be a different price. condition also plays a part.
so there is no way to give a price for the set without seeing what it is
and the condition of the tools. do you want to know the value
just for personal reasons or are you going to sell them ??

as mentioned, there is a carving forum here.

-- Failure is proof that you at least tried ~ now, go do it again, and again, until you get it right --

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 09-26-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-26-2018, 11:37 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR View Post
My Dad passed away a year ago. He took lessons from a fellow in Frankenmuth, MI about 20 +/- years ago. He has a set of tools. All I could see on the metal is what looks like "CH Germany". The have wood handles. There are 27 tools in the set.

Anyone have an idea of the value of these? Also, suggestions on best way to sell? I appreciate any input.
The value of chisels would vary quite a bit depending on what they were and the condition. You might post a picture of a few at a time with any information you can. There should be a number up by the handle. This would be the size of the chisel. We would just have to guess at the curvature. It's been around 40 years since I've bought any chisels and they were running fifteen to twenty dollars each then. Now they are probably more than double that. If we could determine what you might have you could google the current price. They would probably be close to the value of new chisels. They are something that just doesn't wear out.

The curvature of a chisel is called sweeps and the size is in milometers. A flat chisel like a carpenters chisel would be sweeps #1 and if the chisel was completely U-shaped it would be sweeps #11. #2 through #10 would be various curves between. Then if the end was curved like a spoon it would be a spoon chisel and would be valued more. Then there is a chisel that is V shaped and that one is a V parting tool. They usually run around the same price as the other chisels. The size being the only variant.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode