Just plain ‘whittlin’ - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 21Likes

post #1 of 22 Old 12-01-2018, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

View Onefreetexan's Photo Album My Photos
Just plain ‘whittlin’

that’s fun for me,, usually with a stout knife,,, some years ago I picked up several ‘jack knives’ with unusual shape blades,,,sharpen them up real nice, and find a piece of pine, and I go at it....just making a pile of shavings while enjoying my pipe.....some time I might actually make something,,,,,, but mostly just ‘shavins’. Enjoy the smell of the fresh pine too.
Bob Willing and mjadams61 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-01-2018, 11:50 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Whittlin is especially a lot of fun sitting around a campfire with friends and loved ones, it is so relaxing. I like to whittle spirit faces and mountain men, also twisted stick walking sticks and hiking sticks.

I broke the blade out of my favorite knife a few years back and bought a different brand this time. My main knife now is a carbon steel German made Boker Tree Brand, love that knife. I have several other good knives that are razor sharp also.

What kinda knives do you have?

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #3 of 22 Old 12-02-2018, 11:59 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
We would enjoy photos. That reminded me when I was about 6 years old, my older brother and I were spending the weekend at my grandparents house. My grandmother was out shopping and my grandfather wanted us out of the house so he gave us each a paring knife from the kitchen and told us to go whittle something. After trying unsuccessfully we both decided the knives must be dull and needed sharpening...and we commenced to rubbing the knives on the concrete porch to sharpen them. Well needless to say, we ruined 2 of my grandmothers paring knives...and my grandfather was the one that got yelled at. Looking back...it was a different time then.
BigJim and Catpower like this.

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 12-04-2018, 03:14 PM
Recycled Member

Location: Magnificently mountainous McBride in the Robson Valley
View Brian T's Photo Album My Photos
I used to carve with mallets and regular gouges.
Then I shifted to the tools which are used in the Pacific Northwest native community.
They are far better for western red cedar and yellow cedar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kestrel 20s.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	368971  

Name:	KnifeD.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	368973  

Name:	Crook 009.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	368975  

Name:	NEW PICTURES 007.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	368977  

The Following User Says Thank You to Brian T For This Useful Post:
Jay C. White Cloud (12-23-2018)
post #5 of 22 Old 12-04-2018, 04:18 PM

View cajunwoodworker's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
I used to carve with mallets and regular gouges.
Then I shifted to the tools which are used in the Pacific Northwest native community.
They are far better for western red cedar and yellow cedar.
Thats quite the setup!!! Nice! I've been looking to get into whittlin'...mind if I ask what brand of tools you are working with and how you like them?
post #6 of 22 Old 12-04-2018, 06:04 PM
Recycled Member

If you want to do knife work, there's no better source that the top quality American bladesmiths.
Big names like Flexcut and Drake. One man shows like Old Stump (BrandantR).

Almost all of my european-style gouge carving tools are made by Pfeil (Switzerland).

The Pacific NW style tools are blades that I buy and make up my own handles for the adzes and many of the knives.
Lots of the knives are new or used farrier's hoof trimming knives.
The striped handles are 1/8" rosewood and mahogany that I had lots of. The adze handles are birch.

It's still tradition for young carvers to make their own tools from such material as truck leaf spring, etc.
I've got too many things to play with so I buy the blades.
I give the local farrier $5 each for his worn out knives ( new, that brand is $50 each.)
Mora 171 & 188, Diamond 271,(Taiwan) and Ukal Supervet (France) must be about $35+ by now.

Really good PacNW blades are made by Kestrel. You get what you pay for so don't blink at the prices.
Everybody needs to make their own handles to get the grip size correct (Kestrel Constant)
http://kestreltool.com/index.html
post #7 of 22 Old 12-04-2018, 09:17 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefreetexan View Post
that’s fun for me,, usually with a stout knife,,, some years ago I picked up several ‘jack knives’ with unusual shape blades,,,sharpen them up real nice, and find a piece of pine, and I go at it....just making a pile of shavings while enjoying my pipe.....some time I might actually make something,,,,,, but mostly just ‘shavins’. Enjoy the smell of the fresh pine too.
When I lived in the country I bought feed from a man and his wife. The man would sit by the barn door while his wife loaded the feed and whittle. He let the cedar shaving fall between his feet and he would make a pile in the shape of a bale of hay except smaller. I don't know how he made the sides so straight and square.

PS- The woman was smart and worked as an RN. She could also throw #50 bags of feed around like a man.
Bob Willing and BigJim like this.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #8 of 22 Old 12-05-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
If you want to do knife work, there's no better source that the top quality American bladesmiths.
Big names like Flexcut and Drake. One man shows like Old Stump (BrandantR).

Almost all of my european-style gouge carving tools are made by Pfeil (Switzerland).
Hmmm those recommendations seem to be on par from others as well. After some recent googling I landed on a pretty good resource in this best whittling knife guide but it left me wondering whether I wanted a pocket folder of a fixed blade set like the Flexcut you mentioned.

So many choices but I suppose I just need to decide if I want one to carry on me to whittle on the fly (leaning toward this) or something I have to go to fetch from the tool box. Have any experience with Boker pocket knives? They are listed in that guide and seem pretty nice?

I dont really have the bladesmith knowledge but I definitely like your idea of making up your own knifes from recycled blades! Curious, are you on bladeforums.com a lot of guys on there are into reshaping and recylcing blades and what not. Anyway, thanks again for your reply, it was definitely helpful and seemed to echo what others say of Flexcut and Pfeil for spoon carving.
post #9 of 22 Old 12-05-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
I broke the blade out of my favorite knife a few years back and bought a different brand this time. My main knife now is a carbon steel German made Boker Tree Brand, love that knife. I have several other good knives that are razor sharp also.

What kinda knives do you have?
Hey Jim, I just realized you mentioned you have a Boker that you seem to love, any complaints at all? What other knives are you working with?
post #10 of 22 Old 12-05-2018, 01:20 PM
Recycled Member

The tools you buy, make and use depend a lot on the style of wood carving that you want to do.
Wood Carving Illustrated magazine has a forum site 100% devoted to all styles of wood carving.
That place is worth looking over to see if there's a style that interests you more than others.

I wanted to explore the sizes and shapes of the crooked knives which are popular

in the First Nations wood carving community of the Pacific Northwest.
Lots of carvers just make a few changes to farrier's hoof-trimming knives for wood carving.

Mostly what you see in my pictures above are blades that I have made up into carving tools with all my own handles.
Blade forums usually INSIST on center hafting and very conventional, non-carving handles.
Those are all OK but not in the direction that I have gone.

I spent a day in the University of British Columbia Museum of Anthropology.
I went there to study the old knives and old carvings (kerf-bent box corners, etc).

Actually, I had a little box of PacNW crooked knife blades in my pocket that day!
I went outside and quickly carved some simple cedar handles to get the shapes and sizes right.
= = =

If you want to carve spoons with canoe-paddle scoops, look at the Mora (Sweden) #162, #163 ad #164 knife shapes.
Is there a wood carving club in your district? You can figure this out far, far faster with their help.
BigJim and cajunwoodworker like this.
cajunwoodworker (12-05-2018)
post #11 of 22 Old 12-05-2018, 01:30 PM
Ole Woodworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunwoodworker View Post
Hey Jim, I just realized you mentioned you have a Boker that you seem to love, any complaints at all? What other knives are you working with?
No complaints on the Boker. There are Boker knives out there that are pretty cheap, the reason being they are made in China. Be sure the Boker you buy is made in Solingen Germany. Also make sure it is good carbon steel not stainless, stainless just won't hold an edge like the good carbon steel will.

I have a lot of different brand knives, Case, Puma, Buck, Gerber, Old Timer, Schrade, Uncle Henry, Ward, American Blade, Swiss Army and others I can't think of right now. My carving knives are different brands also and several I have made myself.
Brian T and cajunwoodworker like this.

The Other
BigJim

Last edited by BigJim; 12-05-2018 at 01:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
cajunwoodworker (12-05-2018)
post #12 of 22 Old 12-05-2018, 04:43 PM

Many Thanks Brian and Jim...all good info to consider!!! I'm leaning toward a Boker to start with to see where it takes me. I can always buy more specialized fixed blades in the future if a need arises.
BigJim and Brian T like this.
post #13 of 22 Old 12-08-2018, 12:04 AM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Never got into that, I've tried to carve a few times but not much came of it. Wouldn't mind trying again though.

-T
Brian T likes this.

"Dreams are stronger than poison and seize more firmly than disease, once captured one can not escape. It's a real curse, but for adventurers who are dedicated to it, body and soul, people without dreams are more frightening than death" (Made in Abyss). The Twenty Seventeen anime of the year, it definitely deserves that award. It's a show you don't expect to throw you off as much as it does. It may be Moe but it's certainly not lighthearted, just the opposite.
post #14 of 22 Old 12-08-2018, 12:14 PM
Recycled Member

Maybe there's a style of wood carving that you would like to do. Flat-plane, caricature, relief., animals and so on.
Hindsight tells me that it takes carving quality wood and you learn the wood.
Good tools and 50% of the work is keeping them all "carving sharp."
Buy the tools or buy blades and make them up as I do.

Find out if there's a carving club in your area.

Take lessons just for something fun and very different to do this winter.

There's no faster way to get past the basics.
post #15 of 22 Old 12-08-2018, 01:29 PM
Ole Woodworker

Make sure your tools are scary sharp, you might get discouraged if trying to carve with not so sharp tools or hard wood.
Brian T likes this.

The Other
BigJim

post #16 of 22 Old 12-08-2018, 02:19 PM
Recycled Member

Look at the row of knives in my third picture.
Those are all farrier's hoof-trimming knives, most of them in their original handles
except for the long-handled left/right pair in the middle. Bash off the factory wood and make your own.

On the right are two new Hall brand knives, $50 each.

Next to them are 2 skinny worn down Hall knives that I buy from the local farrier for $5 each.
Not much money to get started.

Use a Dremel with cut-off wheels to shape the hook tip any way you want.

Very hard steel which holds a wonderful edge for carving in soft woods (cedars).
BigJim likes this.
Onefreetexan (12-13-2018)
post #17 of 22 Old 12-11-2018, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Well, this thread has certainly gone in a different direction. I just enjoy finding a piece of soft pine, using a jack knife which I keep razor sharp, and try to make my shavings match,,,Yes, the knife guide is very informative,,, but it sets a lot of’rules’ which I don’t really need.

I t is relaxation for me, whittling’ and smokin’ my pipe....If I have to follow a bunch of ‘rules’ it will kill it for me.....So thanks for all the info, now I am going to go have fun.
post #18 of 22 Old 12-11-2018, 08:02 PM
Ole Woodworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefreetexan View Post
Well, this thread has certainly gone in a different direction. I just enjoy finding a piece of soft pine, using a jack knife which I keep razor sharp, and try to make my shavings match,,,Yes, the knife guide is very informative,,, but it sets a lot of’rules’ which I don’t really need.

I t is relaxation for me, whittling’ and smokin’ my pipe....If I have to follow a bunch of ‘rules’ it will kill it for me.....So thanks for all the info, now I am going to go have fun.
Back home years back I would go down to the old country store and several old timers would be sitting around just making shavings. Never gave it much thought back then it just seemed natural to see a bunch of fellows whittlin up a storm.

I am one of those old timers now and see how relaxing and how much fun it is to just sit and let the shavings fly. Every once in a while see how small and long I can make a shaving. I even like to make a very small shaving on the edge of a piece of paper.

What is your favorite knife Tex?

The Other
BigJim

post #19 of 22 Old 12-12-2018, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

At last, someone showed up that understands what I am talking about,,Thank you BigJim,,, I like to do those kind of things ‘just whittlin’, don’t need a bunch of rules,,, just make shavings. I have several jackknifes,,,,different blade shapes, I don’t know the names of them,, just like the looks of them and the feel..they were made in Pakistan and I got them over 20 years ago,,they are nice and heavy, and so easy to keep sharp.
post #20 of 22 Old 12-13-2018, 12:40 PM
Recycled Member

I don't see any rules in wood carving at all. Cramps creativity.

Over the last thousand years, many different styles have come and gone.
Here are my best French tools.
I like the top one the most.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ARMY KNIFE A.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	369205  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode