How would a complete rookie carve something like this? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jay C. White Cloud
  • 1 Post By Brian T

post #1 of 10 Old 12-24-2018, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
How would a complete rookie carve something like this?

I知 a long time woodworker and relatively new turner who wants to add a little flair to a turning. I致e never carved anything; I知 barely able to sharpen a pencil with a knife!

I want to carve spirals into a turning. What I知 really trying to do is to carve a turning so it oooks like the ice cream in a soft serve cone.

I知 thinking that I値l need to draw some lines to follow, the carve with a V shaped tool.

Where do I start.

Here痴 a picture that sort of captures the idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-24-2018, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Here痴 the picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 34C1C2EE-CC13-4F11-9E4A-9BAD3DB39F5A.jpeg (18.6 KB, 83 views)
post #3 of 10 Old 12-24-2018, 12:39 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
cutting spiral using a router ....

This is a mechanical means of carving a spiral:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-24-2018, 07:04 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
I知 a long time woodworker and relatively new turner who wants to add a little flair to a turning. I致e never carved anything; I知 barely able to sharpen a pencil with a knife!

I want to carve spirals into a turning. What I知 really trying to do is to carve a turning so it oooks like the ice cream in a soft serve cone.

I知 thinking that I値l need to draw some lines to follow, the carve with a V shaped tool.

Where do I start.

The V shaped tool won't work for that. Once side going with the grain would cut fine and the other side would tear all the way. The easiest way would be to take a hand saw or back saw and cut the center of the spiral with that and then use a plain carpenters chisel and carve to the saw cut on each side. That way you could be cutting with the grain cutting one direction on one side and cutting the opposite direction on the other.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-28-2018, 01:36 AM
Timber Wright-Guide

View Jay C. White Cloud's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post

Where do I start.

Hi Quickstep,

Sounds like a fun project...!!!

I would say you have it pretty much figured out already.

A "V Gouge" is one of the carving tools to use, be it stone or wood, and perhaps the most common I've reached for over the years for such work..

It can be done with some versions of small draw knife as well as some the modified "crook knives" that cut better on a pull stroke than push, or you could use router carving heads to good effect as well...

If you don't feel "up to snuff" free handing and cutting by eye something like this, by all means, sketch some lines in the desired area to achieve the relief topography you wish to achieve...

Following your photo example, this could be simply done by wrapping some thread or twine around the piece until it pleases your eye and has the desired effect. Then simply trace a line...

Hope that helped...Love to see what the final project looks like!

j

Tosa Tomo Designs
Confucius (551 BCE): "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand..." "...Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance..." Socrates:的 cannot teach anybody anything. I can only help them think..."
Stephen Covey:"Seek to understand, before seeking to be understood..."
post #6 of 10 Old 12-28-2018, 09:42 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I would have trouble generating that curve freehand

I'm a pretty good sketcher after 6 years in art school and I would have trouble making that curve on a cone shaped piece of wood. Geometrically or mechanically, as it goes up, it also rotates and goes in from the perimeter to follow the cone. Then we have the issue of spacing them out equally around the diameter, ending up with full twists no partial ones. It's rather complex.

I probably would start with the spacing first, dividing the diameter at the base into 6, 8 or 12 spaces. Then attach a string to one of the index marks and slowly rotate the cone lifting up on the string as you go. A little "sticky" on the string will keep it from slipping around as it lays against the cone. When you reach the tip/top look at the curve you have and see if that what you have in mind. Then trace that string on the cone and that's your first line to carve or saw a groove into.

Like Jay said, it would be great to see how you do it.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 10 Old 12-28-2018, 06:28 PM
Timber Wright-Guide

After reading Woodnthings's post, I believe I could have (and should have) probably offered more detail and clarification in this method as I described it...Sorry for not doing so...

Coming from a family of working Artists and "carver of things" (stone, clay, wood, etc) there was a method I grew up with called "may-poling" that was relatively common practice in layout. It was used on not only Goose and Duck eggs for laying out carving and painting patterns but on wood as well for all manner of project from Carousel Restoration to hand carve threads in rod and shaft.

One can use thread (the sticky can be achieved with just beeswax or actual glue) or one can use narrow tailors ribbon (1/8" to 1/4") found in most textile/fabric supply stores and Push Pins to hold them in place if desired or needed. They can be glued on as well then just carved off as the project progresses...or...just use them as a strait edge and sketch down there sides and remove...

This method is really simple and I have used it in class with 2nd and 3rd graders for hand decorating Easter Eggs so you should have no issue with pulling it off.

There is an "old school" divider method for doing this as well but that is more for thread layout and other more uniform geometry of a spiral nature than a wood sculpture of an Ice Cream Soft Serve Cone...

Please do post pictures of your progress and final project...It would be cool to see!!!
Tony B likes this.

Tosa Tomo Designs
Confucius (551 BCE): "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand..." "...Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance..." Socrates:的 cannot teach anybody anything. I can only help them think..."
post #8 of 10 Old 12-28-2018, 10:26 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Wow!

Wish you could make a video of the process. Something I could use to play with the grand kids.
Thanks

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Denison, Tx
post #9 of 10 Old 12-28-2018, 11:15 PM
Timber Wright-Guide

Been Looking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Wish you could make a video of the process. Something I could use to play with the grand kids.
Thanks
Hi Tony,

I have been looking all over to see if anyone is using something similar to it...Nothing so far even in other languages...LOL.

I'm "tech savvy" to only a point, and a pure Luddite in other regards (aka I don't own a cell phone or use one very often unless a client makes me for a project). As such, I'm also not much of one for being in front of cameras, a natural aversion I come by...only to be enhanced by my time in the Marines. As such, I have never made a video of any of my work and I'm horrid for taking pictures of it too...I'm getting better (with help from friends) and I'm trying to get some things pulled together for publication, but its time consuming while still working full time also.

I'm going to keep looking, but feel free to ask whatever questions will help understand the method better?

j

Tosa Tomo Designs
post #10 of 10 Old 01-03-2019, 01:33 PM
Recycled Member

Location: Magnificently mountainous McBride in the Robson Valley
View Brian T's Photo Album My Photos
Make the spiral with a long strip of low-tack painter's masking tape.
Measure against the previous winding with a ruler, as you go.
Then pencil in the lines and remove the tape.

I did spirals like that on 64" cedar story poles.
Worked better than I expected.
Jay C. White Cloud likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode