chinese 3040 3axis engraving router - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 02-22-2018, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

View wsbrown's Photo Album My Photos
chinese 3040 3axis engraving router

Hi i have hand routed a few signs to a certain degree of competence but i wanted to try to get into the world of cnc engraving and routing. I bought chinese 3040 3 axis machine' it didnt come with any instructions but i managed to put it together and i managed to get mach3 installed what i dont have is any cad or cam software i was wondering if anyone can suggest a simple programme i could use the simpler the better

THANKING yOU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-22-2018, 09:54 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You might contact the manufacturer. If you bought it new it should have come with instructions. If used I'm sure they could fix you up for a nominal fee.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-22-2018, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

View wsbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Hi there
Thank you for your sugestion i did buy it new but the seller does not endorse any sort of software to run on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-22-2018, 10:16 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like you are going to have to find some independent tech support that can recommend compatible software. Doesn't say much for the manufacturer. They should be the ones helping you.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-22-2018, 11:48 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
having just delved in tot he cnc world myself, I understand your woes. there are several forum that cater to the cnc world, this being one where you can post your needs. one sub-forum is just for Chinese machines.

good luck, and keep us posted on your progress...
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/woodworking-machines/
post #6 of 7 Old 02-22-2018, 12:28 PM
J_L

View J_L's Photo Album My Photos
Vcarve works well or upgrade to aspire if you need 3d capability.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-28-2018, 03:07 AM

View fareastern's Photo Album My Photos
To really get the most from CNC you need a bit of capability with CAD.Fortunately there are some good free packages out there.Most people will steer you in the direction of Fusion 360 and it is said to be good.I resist it because I don't like the idea of using cloud systems.For 2D work,which is OK for just cutting flat sheet objects,you can give Libre Cad a try.If you like the idea of compatibility with Autocad file formats and a near identical interface-Draftsight is free for hobbyists.A little more involved and more versatile moves you up to HeeksCAD and this is where you get the ability to generate toolpaths for your machine.If you have the fortitude for the learning process that is needed to master a parametric modeller then you might find FreeCAD ideal and it generates toolpaths too.If you have other means of 3D modelling and can save the object as an .stl file Pycam will generate a toolpath,but not very quickly.

In addition to to being able to create a file of your desired object you really benefit from having an understanding of what the Gcode whizzing up your screen actually means and I recommend looking for a copy of Machinery's Handbook that is new enough to contain a listing of Gcode meanings and other related guidance.It can be very helpful occasionally to manually edit a program.Modifying post processors is something I would hesitate to do though.The other concept you need to master is the part offset from the machine's home position.I hope you have the means to carry out a homing operation.From there you need to determine the distance to the part datum and some controls allow you to move the machine to this location and zero it.Other controls require you to enter coordinates in a line at the top of the program some in G54 format,maybe G92.One final and significant piece of advice-don't start the machine unless you know how to stop it in a hurry.If the clearance heights have not been correctly set and the cutter is heading straight through the job you can do a lot of damage.Before your first job do run the program with the cutter in fresh air and no workpiece in place.You may like to graduate to cutting foam before tackling anything tougher.

There is a lot to learn but at the end of your first complex job the satisfaction is correspondingly huge.Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode