Ways to improve dust collection on a saw with zero dust collection - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Wood Mangler

View hedorah99's Photo Album My Photos
Ways to improve dust collection on a saw with zero dust collection

I have a Hitachi table saw (model C10FR) and it is equipped with the ever so efficient bag that hangs under the blade and catches only the heaviest dust. I have added a hook up for a shop vac in the back and use sleds or ZCI's whenever possible. There is still a lot of dust to deal with. Feasibly, is there anything else I can do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 06:20 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedorah99 View Post
I have a Hitachi table saw (model C10FR) and it is equipped with the ever so efficient bag that hangs under the blade and catches only the heaviest dust. I have added a hook up for a shop vac in the back and use sleds or ZCI's whenever possible. There is still a lot of dust to deal with. Feasibly, is there anything else I can do?
It is possible the ZCI is not allowing sufficient air flow or it could be the back of the blade is catching on the wood and throwing up some dust.

If this is a home made ZCI which you are willing to drill holes in, you could try drilling extra holes to see if this helps.

It is possible your problem may need an overhead dust hood in addition to the one under the blade.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Wood Mangler

Truthfully, most of the dust seems to be coming of the slot where the wheel to raise/lower and tilt the blade is located. I barely ever have to tilt the blade so I am getting ready to just duct tape it closed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 06:37 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Truthfully, most of the dust seems to be coming of the slot where the wheel to raise/lower and tilt the blade is located. I barely ever have to tilt the blade so I am getting ready to just duct tape it closed.
Another suggestion. I had a similar issue. Instead of duct tape, I found some magnetic A/C outlet covers. Thin stuff, flexible.

I cut out pieces of this stuff and covered the slot.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=magnetic+vent+cover

My cabinet and table top were not sealed. This is common. I used rope foam insulation from a big box store to push into the space.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 09:06 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
replace the bag

Quote:
I had the same issue and used a sheet metal panel bottom panel with a 4" hole for the DC hose. I also got some magnetic sign material to cover over the holes for the tilt controls and the motor opening.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 01-21-2013 at 06:10 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Master firewood maker

View Chris Curl's Photo Album My Photos
when i made a sled for my table saw, it was very similar to installing a ZC insert. all of a sudden, alot of the dust that used to go into the bag below no longer went in; it went into the air, right near my face.

so i am confident that the main factor is the zero clearance part, not air flow into the bag.

this was actually one of the last straws in my decision to go to mostly hand tools.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-21-2013, 01:18 PM
Hobbyist wood-butcher

View thegrgyle's Photo Album My Photos
I was just as frustrated with you about all the saw my Contractor saw would kick up, even with a DC port on the blade. I decided to do something about it by doing this. It was alot of work, but well worth it. It definitely contained all the dust from under the saw... Now I have to try to work on trying to get the dust that spits back at me from the top, but that is minimal.

Hope this helps.

Fabian

I used to be fairly indecisive, but now....... I'm not so sure.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Sawdust Wrangler

View mobilepaul's Photo Album My Photos
take the legs off your saw and trace around the bottom of the saw on a sheet of plywood. Use that as the basis for building the box similar to what Fabian did with his saw. Although, if a shopvac is all you have for DC, it may be a stretch to get all the dust. Especially fine dust, it's really the dust you can't see that is the most harmful. A good amount of dust shoots up and out of the slot where the blade resides as well. Overhead or splitter-based dust collection is needed for that, if you are trying to capture the most you can.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-21-2013, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Wood Mangler

Excellent stuff guys! Thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode