Supplemental Dust Collection - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 06-28-2020, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
Supplemental Dust Collection

I have a Rikon 325(?) 14" bandsaw that I've been using more lately. Despite being hooked up to a 1100 cfm DC, there's still a lot of dust that's not being collected. I've seen somewhere that a shop vac is hooked up also. I can't seem to find it. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-28-2020, 09:36 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I have used both ......

I find a DC unit will remove airborne dust pretty well, but a shop vac right under the table at the lower guide rollers is what's really needed. My Craftsman 14" Pros have a 2 1/2 Shop Vac port at the lower blade guides and 4" DC at the very bottom of the cabinet. The DC port gets some, but the Shop Vac port gets most of it.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 9 Old 06-28-2020, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
djg
Senior Something

Thanks. Can those ports be purchased somewhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-29-2020, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
djg
Senior Something

I looked on the underside of my bandsaw table and I cannot see how a 2.5" dust shoot would be attached, even if I have to fabricate one myself. Anyone ever attach one to your table? Pics?
Thanks
post #5 of 9 Old 06-29-2020, 11:05 AM
where's my table saw?

Modify your Shop Vac blower attachment

You can easily saw off the end of this type of attachment or other one, and make a simple angle bracket to attach it to the cabinet door or anyplace it will focus on the underside of the table insert:
https://www.grainger.com/product/9F2...g!437575797294!

https://www.google.com/search?q=2+1/...cBjKa1uMpGtElM

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
djg (06-29-2020)
post #6 of 9 Old 06-29-2020, 11:09 AM
where's my table saw?

Modify your Shop Vac blower attachment

If needed, you can easily saw off the end of this type of attachment or another type, and make a simple angle bracket to attach it to the cabinet door or anyplace it will focus on the underside of the table insert. This one is way too expensive here, but it's the idea I'm posting:
https://www.grainger.com/product/9F2...g!437575797294!

More ideas here:

https://www.google.com/search?client...llection+ideas

post #7 of 9 Old 06-29-2020, 11:48 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Band saws can be a bit more tricky to collect. Depends on the machine, and how many ports it has.

Machines with 1 port, particularly smaller machines, are very inefficient because they are just collecting what the wheel drags into the lower case. 2 port machines are much better because they are also collecting directly below the lower guide bearings. This is where most collection on bandsaws falls short. There are various ways to fashion a custom made port that fastens under the table.

But I have to ask what exactly do you mean by "still a lot of dust not being collected?"

If its accumulating inside the machine don't worry about it. No matter how good your collection, dust will still accumulate in corners.

My point is if you're not getting the desired collection with a bandsaw, its very likely an issue with the machine, not the collector.

Robert
The Following User Says Thank You to DrRobert For This Useful Post:
djg (06-29-2020)
post #8 of 9 Old 06-29-2020, 12:20 PM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Some Grizzly machines have a dust port at the lower guides underneath the table. Mine does, works with a shop vac quite well. Doesn't get it all, but really helps. Part is probably available and could possibly be adapted to other machines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grizzlydust.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	391665  

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alchymist For This Useful Post:
djg (06-29-2020)
post #9 of 9 Old 07-14-2020, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
djg
Senior Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRobert View Post

But I have to ask what exactly do you mean by "still a lot of dust not being collected?"......
Here's a quick picture of some of the dust that's not collected after cutting only two boards. dust accumulates on all the ledges and the table and floor. I had to put weather stripping around the door of the lower compartment because dust was getting in.

But I did find a solution as you and others suggested. Two holes on the bottom of the table are tapped so I can mount a PVC Tee underneath as pictured. Then a short length of pipe to the blade.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9617.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	392433  

Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode