Small shop dust collection - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 09-11-2015, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

View bigarm's Photo Album My Photos
Small shop dust collection

I have a very narrow, small shop. It is 9' x 30' but the front area has 3 doors (1 front and 2 side doors) which cuts into the space. All the outlets are on the one side wall and the back wall. Currently I have a Harbor Freight dust collector which seems to work fairly well, but takes up a lot of space. I either need to find better use of the space or downsize the dust collector or both. I have a Domino and am going to soon get a Festool track saw so have considered getting a Festool vacuum or maybe a Fein. I know they can be used for small hand held tools. Can they also be used for the bigger things, table saw, sliding miter saw, bandsaw? They are pretty expensive and I probably will have to save up for them, if they are the better solution. I also have a Rigid 16 gallon shop vac which I can use, but have heard it would not be good for sanders because the suction is not adjustable. What ideas or solutions have others done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-11-2015, 03:18 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
Can they be used? Yes, but they won't do a very good job.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-19-2015, 05:24 PM
World's Tallest Midget

View Mort's Photo Album My Photos
There are variable suction adapters that go on the vac hoses. Fein and Bosch make them.

If you do get a Festool vac get a dust deputy so you don't go broke buying bags. Just don't tell Festool you did it, you may run into warranty issues.

I hate signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-22-2015, 05:18 PM

View ddsalt's Photo Album My Photos
I used a shop vac for years, still do for smaller tools. There is no substitute for a properly sized dust collector for the larger tools.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 Old 09-22-2015, 05:23 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
I use a Shop Vac for every tool in my shop except my table saw. I just don't have room right now for a dedicated DC and the shop vac with Laguna cyclone (and my added Thien separator) does a very good job on all the other tools. When I use the TS it's just a given that I'll be doing some cleanup afterward.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
The Following User Says Thank You to difalkner For This Useful Post:
mmelancon12 (12-07-2015)
post #6 of 7 Old 11-04-2015, 06:45 PM

View TheGeekPub's Photo Album My Photos
I also have a small shop. Roughly 16 x 16. It's connected to back of my garage. I just recently installed a dust collection system. I went with a Grizzly 2HP dust collector, but I also installed PVC pipe around the shop, along with iVac automated gates and switches. You can watch my video here: Installing Automated Dust Collection

A lot of people tell me it is overkill for my shop, and it might be. But I actually use it all of the time now! When I flip the switch on my table saw, the gate opens and the dust collector turns on. When I turn it off, the system shuts down. I can't tell you how many times before that I tripped over the hose on the floor, or worse I ran the dust collector for 10 minutes before I realized it was still connected to the other tool and there was a giant pile of sawdust on the floor behind the one I thought it was connected to!

That being said, I also have a remote control. This is a wonderful thing. If you don't make any other dust collection upgrade, just get a good remote control for your dust collector and carry that around with you in the shop!

Mike Murray | The Geek Pub | www.TheGeekPub.com | Let's Make Stuff!
The Following User Says Thank You to TheGeekPub For This Useful Post:
maine-gun-runr (11-12-2015)
post #7 of 7 Old 11-04-2015, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

View bigarm's Photo Album My Photos
Nice video!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode