Size Piping to Use? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Tool Agnostic
  • 1 Post By epicfail48
  • 1 Post By DrRobert

post #1 of 12 Old 12-23-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

View Brian Briggs's Photo Album My Photos
Size Piping to Use?

Newbie here and newbie to woodworking as well. I am setting up a wood workshop in the corner of our building. I have a Woodteck Dual Bag dust collector that I got off of Facebook Marketplace. It is a 3hp 115 or 230 with a 6" input. It came with a dual 4" and a triple 4" inlet adapter. The dust collector is located in the back right corner. I plan to run 4" or 6" pipe along the top of the wall along the cabinet wall and french cleat wall and a drop to the table saw. I may make it a "P" shape so I have continuous flow. I used this when I ran water and airline in my granite shop so the end of the run did not starve for air / water. My question is; Should I run 4" or 6" SDR 35 piping? I am thinking 4" will be fine but want to know from people that know more than I do about it. Thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	work shop.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	382403  

Click image for larger version

Name:	woodteck dust collector.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	382405  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-23-2019, 07:17 PM
Just figuring it out

View Dave Mills's Photo Album My Photos
The cfm math works out such that you should keep the largest possible pipe diameter, with the least number of bends and shortest length, for as long as you can. So the 6" pipe up until you're needing it to be 4" for the tool. Even make the turndown from the ceiling to the wall a 6" fitting, then adapt down to 4" close to the saw.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-23-2019, 07:22 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum, Brian! Add your location to your profile so it shows in the side panel.

You'll get mixed responses but you'll probably do fine with either 4" or 6". There are advantages and disadvantages to both - 4" is less expensive, 6" flows more air, etc.

We have the HF 2HP unit and I move a 20' long 4" hose to each machine as I run them and it does what I need it to. But you have a higher CFM unit so 6" might be the way to go for the runs and 4" for the drops.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-24-2019, 04:11 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Go with the largest size you can for as long as you can, i.e stick with whatever size your DC has at the inlet for as much of the run as you can, and reduce that down as close to the tool as possible. In your case, run the 6" pipe and only reduce to the 4" as close to the tool as possible, for best air flow

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #5 of 12 Old 12-24-2019, 05:22 AM

View ducbsa's Photo Album My Photos
This post has some useful links: https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f32/...3/#post2032843

Depending on the flow rate of the fan, the duct could be too big and the velocity would be so low as to allow the dust to settle out and plug the duct.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-24-2019, 04:10 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Use 5 inch if you are in between cfm of the fan curve

Also beware of the CFM ratings, #1 there is no such animal as a 3 hp 120V induction motor, which is what is pictured

There is no app for experience
post #7 of 12 Old 12-27-2019, 09:30 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Whatever you use, and however you put it together, think about how you will clean it out periodically, and how you might retrieve small parts that get sucked up during sawdust cleanup. They don't always get to the dust bucket at the end of the line.
JamesTinKS likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-28-2019, 04:52 AM

View jeff100's Photo Album My Photos
I'm setting up a similar duct setup as you are except not doing the "P" shape design. About the same length runs as well. It will be interesting to compare once we both get them finished to see just how effective the "P" shape design is (you might have the right idea). I using 4" DWV sewer pipe (10ft for $10 at lowes/home depot) on all the runs until right near the machines where I switch to the Harbor fright 4" flex hose. I've looked around and for a clear 4" with metal wire coil you cant beat 10ft for $15 at HF. They never seem to have it in store so its a online order kinda thing.

As far as cleaning periodically, what about using a chimney flu brush setup like a pipe snake with a drill. hopefully you get what im trying to explain. you could turn on the blower and run the flu brush to clean out all the nooks and crannies of the system. ive never tried it but it sorta makes sense that it would be effective.

looking forward to seeing how this comes along.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-28-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff100 View Post
I'm setting up a similar duct setup as you are except not doing the "P" shape design. About the same length runs as well. It will be interesting to compare once we both get them finished to see just how effective the "P" shape design is (you might have the right idea). I using 4" DWV sewer pipe (10ft for $10 at lowes/home depot) on all the runs until right near the machines where I switch to the Harbor fright 4" flex hose. I've looked around and for a clear 4" with metal wire coil you cant beat 10ft for $15 at HF. They never seem to have it in store so its a online order kinda thing.

As far as cleaning periodically, what about using a chimney flu brush setup like a pipe snake with a drill. hopefully you get what im trying to explain. you could turn on the blower and run the flu brush to clean out all the nooks and crannies of the system. ive never tried it but it sorta makes sense that it would be effective.

looking forward to seeing how this comes along.

If the duct work is sized properly and you have enough air movement the inside should never need to be cleaned

post #10 of 12 Old 12-28-2019, 06:48 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpower View Post
If the duct work is sized properly and you have enough air movement the inside should never need to be cleaned
You can say the same about toilets and kitchen sinks, but plumbers stay in business. Always better to have a way to clean things out, though I do agree that routine cleaning shouldn't be needed unless your collector is starved for air
Catpower likes this.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #11 of 12 Old 12-29-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
You can say the same about toilets and kitchen sinks, but plumbers stay in business. Always better to have a way to clean things out, though I do agree that routine cleaning shouldn't be needed unless your collector is starved for air

But dust collection systems have dry sawdust going through them, the other stuff sometimes is a little sticky LOL

post #12 of 12 Old 12-30-2019, 12:47 PM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
From experience doing 3 CD systems/remodels and some research I've concluded 6" is the minimum for any blower over 1.5 HP/1100CFM. 4" will be too restrictive I know this was the case with my original system. Going to 6" ducts was a serious upgrade in performance even with the small 1.5HP blower I have. In fact, I was preparing to go to a 3HP blower because I am using a cyclone but gave it a try and was very surprised. All I can say is it does the job and I'm still using it.

Your 3HP blower could easily handle 7 or even 8" ducts. Keep ducts big as far as you can before reducing, long sweeping 90's or 2x45's.

Venting outside is another option sometimes available that will enhance performance. Considerations are your location & heat loss. If this is not possible I recommend getting rid of the bags they are extremely inefficient and will prove to be a hassle emptying and cleaning. I would recommend either a cyclone or canisters type filters.

Forums can be a good or bad source of info, so I would suggest you do a little research and learn about CFM, static pressure, air velocity, filter bags, etc and how these are affected by duct/blower sizes.
evilboweivel likes this.

Robert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode