ShopVac recommendation needed - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 22 Old 09-15-2015, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

View BigGW's Photo Album My Photos
ShopVac recommendation needed

I currently manage dust collection with a shop vac and a chip separator. Works great for my purposes, but my shop vac is on it's last legs. I've just started looking around at what is available. I am curious about whether there are particular specifications I need to check (sealed pressure, CFM, etc.) and what values those specs need to be.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-15-2015, 06:34 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
There seems to be more dealers, more accessible parts and repair and more accessories for the genuine Shop Vac brand.
Shop Vac makes many models and many sizes.
I suggest a large volume, large motored Shop Vac in a plastic tub on wheels.
There are many competitors, but I see no advantage.
I have owned both stainless models and plastic models, so I'm qualified to recommend plastic over metal canisters.
Catch them when they have a big sale.
post #3 of 22 Old 09-15-2015, 06:50 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Bigger is better and usually quieter. Personally I hate using them all so I made my own enclosure and bought a good speed control for it. Now it's quieter than the sander.

Al

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 09-15-2015, 07:29 PM

View 44260's Photo Album My Photos
A while back WOOD magazine did a test and review on shop vacs including performance, sucking power and such. There were 8 or 10 vacs that they tested and I do remember that the Craftsman XSP model came out on top of them all. If you search for this article on the WOOD Magazine web site it may help you out as far as determining the vac that suits your needs.
post #5 of 22 Old 09-15-2015, 07:44 PM

I'm sorry, the article I was talking about was from 2000. Here is another review that has customer reviews for different shop vacs. Hope this one helps out!!!!!
http://reviewatool.com/power-tools/s...e-shop-vacuums
post #6 of 22 Old 09-15-2015, 07:54 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Up untill you hit something like a festool or a fein, id be willing to wager that most shop-vacs are pretty much the same, performance wise, at the same size. Personally, ive got on of the metal bucket bostich vacs they sell at walmart, works pretty well for me

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #7 of 22 Old 09-15-2015, 08:05 PM

I use a 16 gallon Ridgid from the big orange store and I like it, all I do with mine is vaccum the shop floor and hook it to my 12" planner and it does fine for both of these tasks. I do not have a seperator on my shop vac yet but it is on the "to do" list
post #8 of 22 Old 09-16-2015, 12:02 PM

View kenkutter's Photo Album My Photos
I started out using a Shop Vac for DC, but did not have a chip separator. It filled up faster than I could empty it especially connected to my planer. So, I bought a Harbor Freight DC. It works fine for chips and most saw dust, but the bag lets a lot of fine dust out into the shop. Also, it REQUIRES a 20 amp circuit as it will not start on a 15 amp circuit, even if nothing else is on the circuit. I'm looking for a better bag for the HF, one that I can afford.
post #9 of 22 Old 09-16-2015, 03:34 PM

View NickDIY's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Ridgid vac that I've beaten the crap out of and it continues to impress me. The "SNR" noise reduction is literally shockingly quite - like people comment on it when they expect that awful shop-vac noise and then hear the low hum instead. I use it for RO sanders, but not machines.

They're about $100 and pull 170ish CFM. For $220, you can get Rockler's wall hang unit that pulls 650CFM. If this is going to be dedicated to DC, I'd buck up for the Rockler. I don't think you'll be able to pull specs on pressures, so I think CFM will be the only logical metric.
post #10 of 22 Old 09-16-2015, 08:32 PM

View mengtian's Photo Album My Photos
Ridgid for me also.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-16...1851/100638360

I have a dust deputy locked onto the rear wheels.....works great. Pretty quiet.
post #11 of 22 Old 09-17-2015, 01:59 AM

View MEP1's Photo Album My Photos
Has anyone thought about building their own? I've worked on car wash vacuums, and they usually have four bags and two motors with a cleanout below. I've been thinking about making one with six bags for extra flow and a large cleanout, probably wouldn't need a cyclone separator because the bags are just tubes open at the bottom and debris just falls out when the unit shuts off.
post #12 of 22 Old 09-17-2015, 10:55 AM
Wood Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEP1 View Post
Has anyone thought about building their own? I've worked on car wash vacuums, and they usually have four bags and two motors with a cleanout below. I've been thinking about making one with six bags for extra flow and a large cleanout, probably wouldn't need a cyclone separator because the bags are just tubes open at the bottom and debris just falls out when the unit shuts off.

Yes. I built my own. Quiet with speed control.

Al

post #13 of 22 Old 09-17-2015, 03:08 PM

You built a shop vac or a dust collector? What I'm talking about would have the power of a shop vac but the capacity of a dust collector.
post #14 of 22 Old 09-17-2015, 08:35 PM
Wood Snob

Quote:
You built a shop vac or a dust collector? What I'm talking about would have the power of a shop vac but the capacity of a dust collector.

Well actually both. The best DC has a cyclone separator before the dust and chips enter the impeller. It should also have a container for the chips and bags that just filters. Name:  ImageUploadedByWood Working Talk1442532650.164357.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  82.9 KB

Don't have any pictures of the shop vac anymore.

DCs and shop vacs have two different powers and uses. One is volume and the other is velocity. What do you mean?

Al

post #15 of 22 Old 09-17-2015, 09:44 PM

I meant using two vacuum motors, I don't know if it would have the same volume as a dust collector (probably not), but certainly a lot more than a shop vac. I would think that with the filter bags I mentioned and not needing a separator there would still be lots of flow, and with a big dust bin and no separator it might have the close to the flow of a DC and still have the suction of a shop vac.
post #16 of 22 Old 09-17-2015, 10:21 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B Thayer View Post
Well actually both. The best DC has a cyclone separator before the dust and chips enter the impeller. It should also have a container for the chips and bags that just filters. Attachment 184705

Don't have any pictures of the shop vac anymore.

DCs and shop vacs have two different powers and uses. One is volume and the other is velocity. What do you mean?

Al
It would be nice to have a shop with high ceilings like the one pictured.
post #17 of 22 Old 09-18-2015, 12:57 AM
Wood Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
It would be nice to have a shop with high ceilings like the one pictured.

My shop has 18' high ceilings. The shop is 1000 sq ft.

Al

post #18 of 22 Old 09-18-2015, 01:02 AM
Wood Snob

Quote:
I meant using two vacuum motors, I don't know if it would have the same volume as a dust collector (probably not), but certainly a lot more than a shop vac. I would think that with the filter bags I mentioned and not needing a separator there would still be lots of flow, and with a big dust bin and no separator it might have the close to the flow of a DC and still have the suction of a shop vac.

Well with a separator the bags never need emptying and the flow doesn't drop. It's also much better on your motor and impeller. You can make a very effective separator with just a few baffles to break the flow direction.

Al

post #19 of 22 Old 09-18-2015, 01:28 AM

That's what I'm getting at, the vacuums I mentioned before have bags that never need emptying, and the motors would be after the bags - no debris goes through them.

Doesn't the separator cause a significant drop in vacuum and airflow?
post #20 of 22 Old 09-18-2015, 10:02 PM
Wood Snob

Quote:
That's what I'm getting at, the vacuums I mentioned before have bags that never need emptying, and the motors would be after the bags - no debris goes through them.

Doesn't the separator cause a significant drop in vacuum and airflow?

No. They change the dynamics of the suction. The chips flying down the hose are in a captive space. The cyclone causes the chips to fly out to the outer cylinder where they separate from the suction. The air spins with it until gravity causes the chips to fall out. It's sealed so it doesn't lose suction.

In my cyclone the center tube (the suction) runs down to within about 8 to 10 inches from the bottom. The chips come in at the top of the side wall like a ball on a roulette wheel. Then just spin down into the barrel.Name:  ImageUploadedByWood Working Talk1442624534.611308.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  39.1 KB

Al

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode