Shop Vac, Screaming Hose Help* - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Graeme-retired

post #1 of 3 Old 01-24-2018, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Birding Psychosis

View Thorn495's Photo Album My Photos
Question Shop Vac, Screaming Hose Help*

I thought I scored a 6ft, 1-1/4" pump hose for $1.99.. to use with my shop vac. Looks just like a shop vac hose, but how do you get it to stop screaming!!?? I think the hose is thinner compared to my shop vac hoses and maybe the inside of the hose isn't as soft as the shop vac hoses. Is there anyway to cheat and use this as a shop vac hose without the excess howling/screaming?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-25-2018, 12:56 AM

View Graeme-retired's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn495 View Post
I thought I scored a 6ft, 1-1/4" pump hose for $1.99.. to use with my shop vac. Looks just like a shop vac hose, but how do you get it to stop screaming!!?? I think the hose is thinner compared to my shop vac hoses and maybe the inside of the hose isn't as soft as the shop vac hoses. Is there anyway to cheat and use this as a shop vac hose without the excess howling/screaming?
I'm assuming you mean you have a suction hose for a water pump. If that is the case, then the screaming possibly comes down to basic fluid dynamics. The hose is designed to transport a fluid with a density of 1 (by definiton) at a low velocity. You are making it transport a fluid (air) with a much lower density and at a MUCH higher velocity. Yes, it will scream. But if you use it as a water pump suction hose (instead of a shop vacuum suction hose) it will be quiet and happy. Get the correct hose.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Bluenote38 and intrepid like this.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-25-2018, 12:24 PM

View Carl10's Photo Album My Photos
I believe someone else tried the same thing with similar results. I think their hose was able to be stretched a little to get the rings a little further apart and that help quite a bit. You have a simple acoustic issue of ring spacing. Try running it and pull or compress the hose to hear the difference.

Hope that helps. Let us know what you do.

Carl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode