shop made air cleaner??? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 34 Old 10-23-2012, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

View preacherman's Photo Album My Photos
shop made air cleaner???

I have been considering building a shop made air cleaner. I was wanting to know how many cfms are necessary to make it function. I have found a motor 215 cfm: http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric would this be sufficent? or do I need bigger? like this one?http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric. For only a couple of dollars I am thinking the bigger one? Also will this style of blower work as an ambient air cleaner?
I only get to work a couple hours on the weekends so I do not want to go out and buy a large manufactured unit that cost a couple hundred dollars.
Also any tips on building one would be helpful as well.

Last edited by preacherman; 10-23-2012 at 04:59 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to preacherman For This Useful Post:
jharris2 (10-24-2012), SteveEl (10-23-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 10-24-2012, 07:38 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
i've used fans similar, yes they work fine. i wouldn't use the smaller size. you can calculate the volume of your shop (l x w x h) and divide it by the cfm's to find out how many minutes it will take to exchange the air in the entire shop. ideally, I think they shoot for several times/hour (10-15 minutes).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimPa For This Useful Post:
jharris2 (10-24-2012), preacherman (10-24-2012)
post #3 of 34 Old 10-24-2012, 07:46 AM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
I have no idea what the CFM of mine was, it was a recycled 4 speed blower from an industrial furnace (snatched it from work). But if you look at the commercial ambient air cleaners they move somewhere between 500 and 1200 CFM. A smaller room may get by with a smaller blower, after all it's the air changes that count. But I think I would try to cabbage a discarded furnace blower from an HVAC installer...you might get it free. For construction, there have been several plans published, my favorite one was in Wood and had the blower/intake on one end of the shop and the exhaust ducted to the opposite side. That was a little too complicated for me, I built a plywood wood box, put the blower more or less in the middle of it, and a cheap fiberglass filter to cover the exhaust. But for filtering I put 3 furnace filters (20x25") at the inlet. Each was a progressively tighter filtration. Doing that made the most expensive one (Filtrete Ultra-Allergen) to last longer. The first one had to be changed fairly often, the second a little more often,and so on. the second one was a Filtrete "red", and the first one was whatever cheap pleated filter I could find. This unit worked very well. Alas, I left it in my last shop when we moved.

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fred Hargis For This Useful Post:
jharris2 (10-24-2012), preacherman (10-24-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 10-24-2012, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the replies. I just have a small area to work in. I think from the way I understand the formula the larger fan I linked will clean the air 4 or 5 times an hour.
post #5 of 34 Old 10-24-2012, 02:45 PM

View davester84's Photo Album My Photos
I'd be interested to see how you build this....as I have been considering building one for my garage. I thought it would be super expensive, but seeing that I could get a motor for $50, it seems doable.
Please let us know how it works out! Also, me being a newbie at all this...some photos and instructions of your build would be great.

...or do I even need one, since I just work with the garage door open?
post #6 of 34 Old 10-24-2012, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Well I thought this would be an expensive project also. But all I would need to buy is a motor and filters, I have plenty of extra sheet material pieces to build a box to enclose it. I also work with the doors open and shop vac on
My larger tools but I still get that fine layer of dust on everything. That stuff cannot be good for the lungs. So I am going to try to build this very soon. I am still researching but I will post pics of the process once I start.
post #7 of 34 Old 10-25-2012, 09:10 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
fwiw my home shop is in the basement, so to save headroom, i built mine to nestle between the floor joists above. just have to design to get the exhaust clear.
post #8 of 34 Old 10-25-2012, 11:56 AM

View toolguy1000's Photo Album My Photos
try this. used a $5 CL fan, some 1" drywall j-channel and scrap plywood. if you can't find 1" drywall jchannel, vinyl siding j-channel will work as well. according to wood magazine, in their last test of air cleaners, this box fan configuration was surprisingly effective at removing air born dust. one hour timer controls the outlet the unit is plugged into.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0864.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	53723  

Name:	100_0865.jpg
Views:	4553
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	53724  

Name:	100_0866 - 2.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	53725  

there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.
post #9 of 34 Old 10-25-2012, 03:33 PM
(clever wood pun here)

View Phaedrus's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolguy1000 View Post
try this. used a $5 CL fan, some 1" drywall j-channel and scrap plywood. if you can't find 1" drywall jchannel, vinyl siding j-channel will work as well. according to wood magazine, in their last test of air cleaners, this box fan configuration was surprisingly effective at removing air born dust. one hour timer controls the outlet the unit is plugged into.

That's great! I have just such a fan laying around. I may have to try this.

Also, does your fan say, "VAN BEER" on it?
post #10 of 34 Old 10-25-2012, 04:41 PM

View JamesGlenn's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolguy1000 View Post

I built something similar last week. I also have an old furnace motor built into my downdraft table that filters the air, but it was just too dang loud all the time.

This actually works quite well, is failry quiet, and the filter collects a lot of the fine dust. HD had them on sale cheap, so I grabbed two.
post #11 of 34 Old 10-28-2012, 12:09 PM

View Scot H's Photo Album My Photos
In your original post you said you were willing to pay a couple of hundred dollars more for a blower motor.

For just over $200 you can get a Rikon filtration system from Woodcraft, it's 2'x2'x10" (give or take an inch or two). It hangs from the ceiling, has a remote control, and works great.
post #12 of 34 Old 10-28-2012, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot H View Post
In your original post you said you were willing to pay a couple of hundred dollars more for a blower motor.

For just over $200 you can get a Rikon filtration system from Woodcraft, it's 2'x2'x10" (give or take an inch or two). It hangs from the ceiling, has a remote control, and works great.
I think you must have misread my original post. I said I was NOT willing to spend a couple hundred dollars. Thus, the question to see if this method was a reasonable option. The more expensive motor I linked is less than $50.
post #13 of 34 Old 10-28-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
......Also, does your fan say, "VAN BEER" on it?
i believe it says "VAN BEEK"

The Following User Says Thank You to toolguy1000 For This Useful Post:
Phaedrus (10-28-2012)
post #14 of 34 Old 10-28-2012, 07:12 PM

View tvman44's Photo Album My Photos
Either one should do fine but I would opt for the one with more CFM. I built 2 using 20" box fans with some "J" channel to hold the filter in place and I just slide out the old filter and slide in a new filter, they work really well.

Bob making sawdust in SW Louisiana
with a EX-21
post #15 of 34 Old 11-01-2012, 05:10 PM

wondering if you started on this yet? any idea how loud the motor is? I am wondering if it would be a good idea to "double box" it somehow with insulation in the middle so that it woudnt be too loud....still want to hear my music :)

also, i just found these instructions to make one online if it helps you....I was going to follow this for mine whenever i can get around to it.
http://www.woodworkingseminars.com/w...pAirFilter.pdf

Last edited by davester84; 11-01-2012 at 05:22 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to davester84 For This Useful Post:
captainawesome (11-20-2012), haugerm (11-02-2012), Phaedrus (11-02-2012), preacherman (11-02-2012), thegrgyle (11-02-2012)
post #16 of 34 Old 11-02-2012, 12:30 PM

great link, davester. i have seen the first of those two in a shopnotes supplemental publication. the second one, with the two exhaust fans, is also a really good idea.

post #17 of 34 Old 11-02-2012, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Not started yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester84 View Post
wondering if you started on this yet? any idea how loud the motor is? I am wondering if it would be a good idea to "double box" it somehow with insulation in the middle so that it woudnt be too loud....still want to hear my music :)

also, i just found these instructions to make one online if it helps you....I was going to follow this for mine whenever i can get around to it.
http://www.woodworkingseminars.com/w...pAirFilter.pdf
I am currently working on a kitchen pantry for our house. Immediatly after this pantry, shop projects are up, shop cabinets, a new workbench, lathe stand, and this air cleaner.
Thanks for those links. That first one is what I had in mine but was planing on just making it from scratch but now I'll build it like this plan! That is eactly what I was looking for!
post #18 of 34 Old 11-02-2012, 11:00 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
I have been using one of those box fans withthe filter attached via Duct Tape! But it works. I have a one car garage so it is not big and the fan is all I have at the moment. I do have a furnace blower my son got from a job just haven't had time to make a filter.
post #19 of 34 Old 11-09-2012, 04:51 PM

Ok, I went ahead and took the plunge today and ordered the motor. I am going to start on it when it gets in.....not to hijack your thread, but I will try to post some pics as i go.
post #20 of 34 Old 11-09-2012, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester84 View Post
Ok, I went ahead and took the plunge today and ordered the motor. I am going to start on it when it gets in.....not to hijack your thread, but I will try to post some pics as i go.
Did you order a motor from the link I posted? If so let us know your experience with the company. I have never ordered from them I was just curious.
And let us see the pics when you build it I am interested in seeing it come together and how it works. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode