Routers With Good DC - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 09-04-2015, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
World's Tallest Midget

View Mort's Photo Album My Photos
Routers With Good DC

Anyone have a good recommendation? I've been free-handing with my old Craftsman a lot lately and the dust is killing me. I'm going to upgrade anyway, anyone have a lead on a good router with decent dust collection? I'm looking at the Bosch 1617, but if the DC sucks, I may have to save for a Festool, even though I wasn't really planning to spend that sort of money.

Please and thank you.

I hate signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-04-2015, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
World's Tallest Midget

I should add that this is primarily for the free handing aspect of it, I know a well built table would do wonders for DC.

I hate signatures.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-04-2015, 08:57 PM

View Marv's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Porter Cable 691 D handle and a Bosch 1618evs D handle for freehand work and both have the dust shrouds for connecting to the vacuum. The Porter cable collects dust/chips very well however the Bosch is absolutely terrible. It seems as though the exhaust air from the motor causes the dust to swirl around inside/above the shroud and very little of it actually gets sucked up by the vacuum. I also have the Bosch dust shroud for the plunge router and it does the same thing which is why I believe it's the way the motor exhausts the air.

BTW, Rockler makes a universal shroud similar to the Bosch and Porter Cable however it allows use of a 2 1/4" vacuum hose or 2 1/2" dust collection hose as opposed to the 1 1/4" the Bosch/PC use so it may be more efficient.

http://www.rockler.com/edge-routing-dust-port

Post count on a forum does not denote level of knowledge, skill nor experience

Last edited by Marv; 09-04-2015 at 09:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marv For This Useful Post:
Al B Thayer (09-04-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 09-04-2015, 09:02 PM

Just noticed the design of the one above would limit bit diameter to the size of the small opening however this one is more similar to the Bosch/PC. Drag with this one is it looks like you have to buy a proprietary Rockler sub base as well.

http://www.rockler.com/whirlwind-dust-port-for-routers

post #5 of 17 Old 09-04-2015, 09:05 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Dust collection on a router can be a tough one but can also be overcome by a powerful suction. I use a shop vac rather than my DC because it's got more velocity rather than volume. Also it seems strange running a 3hp motor for a little router.

Let us know what you come up with.

Al

post #6 of 17 Old 09-04-2015, 09:06 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
This is a bad picture. I replace my base plates so I can drill, screw and attach anything I want to my router. That may be a fence, profile guide, pin or a vacuum nozzle. Position it where it will do the most good. This one gets most of the router dust by keeping it close to the bit, doesn't matter which router.
Attached Images

post #7 of 17 Old 09-04-2015, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
World's Tallest Midget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B Thayer
Dust collection on a router can be a tough one but can also be overcome by a powerful suction. I use a shop vac rather than my DC because it's got more velocity rather than volume. Also it seems strange running a 3hp motor for a little router. Let us know what you come up with. Al
Al, you're a PC router guy, how has your experience been? I will use the shop vac since that is all I have.

I hate signatures.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-04-2015, 11:40 PM
Uncle Fester

View unclefester's Photo Album My Photos
Think Festool

Cut it twice, measure once and it's still too short.
post #9 of 17 Old 09-04-2015, 11:49 PM
Wood Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Al, you're a PC router guy, how has your experience been? I will use the shop vac since that is all I have.

I use PC 690s for free hand. Some times I just hold the hose along with the router and hit it if it's a short run. Otherwise I have a few bases specially made for certain jobs. They work ok. If I'm doing dados with a fixture I just tape the hose to the body pointing down. I've tried to make a setup to use with the router all the time but haven't had good success. It would work for one project but then be in the way on another.

They've tried to come up with aftermarket add on's but nothing has really worked that well. If you buy a router that has a dust port like Fe$tool I've heard they work well. It's my understanding the Fe$tool works quite well also removing unruly children.

Al

post #10 of 17 Old 09-05-2015, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B Thayer View Post
I use PC 690s for free hand. Some times I just hold the hose along with the router and hit it if it's a short run. Otherwise I have a few bases specially made for certain jobs. They work ok. If I'm doing dados with a fixture I just tape the hose to the body pointing down. I've tried to make a setup to use with the router all the time but haven't had good success. It would work for one project but then be in the way on another.

They've tried to come up with aftermarket add on's but nothing has really worked that well. If you buy a router that has a dust port like Fe$tool I've heard they work well. It's my understanding the Fe$tool works quite well also removing unruly children.

Al
This is what I use on the 691 Al. The removable fitting on the side draws through the sub base for dado work and the removable cup on the bottom has a slotted flange with thumbscrews so you can easily swivel it to the most convenient spot. Both work well IMO.

Last edited by Marv; 09-05-2015 at 12:15 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marv For This Useful Post:
Al B Thayer (09-05-2015)
post #11 of 17 Old 09-05-2015, 12:45 AM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
I think with a little ingenuity you could make almost any router dust collection work decent. I think almost all factory router duct collection sucks.
post #12 of 17 Old 09-05-2015, 10:30 AM
Wood Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
This is what I use on the 691 Al. The removable fitting on the side draws through the sub base for dado work and the removable cup on the bottom has a slotted flange with thumbscrews so you can easily swivel it to the most convenient spot. Both work well IMO.

Removable sections do make it work for more apps. The toughest cut to collect for me is the dovetail machine and when I use an exact width dado fixture.

Al

post #13 of 17 Old 09-06-2015, 09:19 PM

View Minnesota Marty's Photo Album My Photos
Triton 3 1/4 hp.

I have a 3 1/4 hp Triton router that comes with a nice dust collection port.
Here is the link from Rockler:
http://www.rockler.com/triton-3-1-4-...-plunge-router

I combine it with my Porter-Cable vac and it works great. I have also purchased the Bosch 6" random orbital sander with a dust collection port. And am impressed with how well the dust is captured by the Porter-Cable vac.
post #14 of 17 Old 09-08-2015, 03:09 PM

View ddsalt's Photo Album My Photos
My Dewalt DW621 has always been decent.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
post #15 of 17 Old 09-08-2015, 03:16 PM

View NickDIY's Photo Album My Photos
I've used the one that Marv posted on my Freud 3000 beast. I wasn't impressed.

The one for the Dewalt DWP611 Palm router, though, blew my mind how well it worked. I think it's a function of the fact that it basically encloses the entire case off.

I know that you didn't mention a palm router, but if you can live with the small size, the whole setup just works so very well....
post #16 of 17 Old 09-08-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDIY View Post
I've used the one that Marv posted on my Freud 3000 beast. I wasn't impressed.

The one for the Dewalt DWP611 Palm router, though, blew my mind how well it worked. I think it's a function of the fact that it basically encloses the entire case off.

I know that you didn't mention a palm router, but if you can live with the small size, the whole setup just works so very well....
Which one did you use Nick? (I was considering trying the one with the offset base). I also tried the one for the plunge base on my Dewalt 611 and it worked well.

post #17 of 17 Old 09-09-2015, 09:33 AM

View NickDIY's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
Which one did you use Nick? (I was considering trying the one with the offset base). I also tried the one for the plunge base on my Dewalt 611 and it worked well.
The one I used on the Freud looked a lot like the one you posted. It mounted to the screw holes for a template guide.

The one I used for the dewalt was this one:

I did not consider that you'd use a plunge base for this type of work. I'm guessing that's what the other style adapter is - like this:

I'd be pretty concerned that it would have the same problems as the other little plastic adapter like the Freud. A lot of the waste just gets blown out of the hole in the top.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode