Orbital sander dust collection - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By NoThankyou

post #1 of 13 Old 02-10-2020, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

View skitchin1's Photo Album My Photos
Orbital sander dust collection

I am try to get a system for my orbital sander. I have a shop vac hooked up but it awkward. With a heavy hose hooked up. Any tips to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-10-2020, 10:20 PM
Cat Herder

View ChiknNutz's Photo Album My Photos
This is a decent setup. Although a costly solution, I moved to a Festool sander and vacuum system. Still a vacuum, but a fantastic system overall.

Chris A.
Live a life worth celebrating!

Ridgid R4221 12" CMS, R4330 Planer | Bosch MRC23EVSK Router, 1591EVSL Jigsaw, PB360S Power Box | JDS Air-Tech HP air cleaner | Grizzly 14" bandsaw (Laguna LT14 clone), G1023RL tablesaw | Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust Collector | Festool Rotex 150/5 FEQ, CT 36 E, ETS EC125/3, TS75, Domino XL | Incra "Works" LS25 router table
post #3 of 13 Old 02-10-2020, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

It so awkward i have the vacume hose on string from the ceiling. Sand on the opposite side hold it by the motor that smaller then the handle. And better control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-10-2020, 11:30 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
A vacuum attached is the best solution, gets rid of the dust at the source. If the hose is that intolerable though. Look into a downdraft sanding table

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #5 of 13 Old 02-11-2020, 09:18 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Rockler has a couple of hose options. I have both.

One is expandable, I find it to be a PITA as the hose always wants to contract back to it's compressed size. The other actually works really well/ They also have clips available to keep your cord and hose together.

This is the fixed hose, on sale now, my preference:

https://www.rockler.com/dust-right-f...2-fixed-length
post #6 of 13 Old 02-11-2020, 10:38 AM

View RickKr's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchin1 View Post
It so awkward i have the vacume hose on string from the ceiling. Sand on the opposite side hold it by the motor that smaller then the handle. And better control.
Photos of your setup would probably really help with trouble shooting it.

I use a DeWalt OS which has a small vac port, to which I connect my shop vac, going up to the larger vac hose. I tie the OS power cord and vac hose together so there is only one "tail" to deal with. I use small velcro straps for tying these together. Works really well.

I do support the hose off to the side, on a table top or other surface that is about the same height and give the hose/cord a broad curve so it can move more freely as I move the sander. Hah! I don't have any photos to share at the moment. But I need to get it out again to do some polishing on a tung oil finish I've been working on. I'll take a photo and post it when I do.

Rick

"Quality is like buying oats. If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a bit cheaper."
post #7 of 13 Old 02-11-2020, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Here my set up. It feels akward side to side or just moving the sander with the hose attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15814527545733507105577166877232_1581452843353.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	384675  

Click image for larger version

Name:	15814528557214160133983619227788_1581452890969.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	384677  

post #8 of 13 Old 02-12-2020, 11:00 AM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
Rockler has a couple of hose options. I have both.

One is expandable, I find it to be a PITA as the hose always wants to contract back to it's compressed size. The other actually works really well/ They also have clips available to keep your cord and hose together.

This is the fixed hose, on sale now, my preference:

https://www.rockler.com/dust-right-f...2-fixed-length
I have the first /dust-right-flexiport-power-tool-hose-kit that Rockler came out with. With this, I can hook up to any small tool in my shop. I am not really keen on Rockler but they have a winner with this kit.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-12-2020, 05:32 PM

View jgt1942's Photo Album My Photos
I use the Rockler kit, hanging from the ceiling for a lot of my tools. Several years ago I got a SUPER deal on a Mirka Deros. When I got home after picking up I spent about 1/2 hour sanding various types of wood and different grades of sandpaper as well as the Mirka Abranet. At the end of my test, I noticed that I had much less dust on my workbench than I had using my old Ridgid (with the dust bag) after five minutes.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-12-2020, 06:07 PM
Cat Herder

View ChiknNutz's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiknNutz View Post
This is a decent setup. Although a costly solution, I moved to a Festool sander and vacuum system. Still a vacuum, but a fantastic system overall.
Sorry, I thought I linked back to the Rockler Dustright page, that was my intention. I now see I failed to provide it.

Chris A.
Live a life worth celebrating!

Ridgid R4221 12" CMS, R4330 Planer | Bosch MRC23EVSK Router, 1591EVSL Jigsaw, PB360S Power Box | JDS Air-Tech HP air cleaner | Grizzly 14" bandsaw (Laguna LT14 clone), G1023RL tablesaw | Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust Collector | Festool Rotex 150/5 FEQ, CT 36 E, ETS EC125/3, TS75, Domino XL | Incra "Works" LS25 router table
post #11 of 13 Old 02-12-2020, 11:50 PM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
I've tried almost everything including a down draft table connected to a dust collector. The best solution is to use the dust bags that came with the sander and empty them frequently.
FrankC likes this.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
post #12 of 13 Old 02-13-2020, 10:08 AM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
Iíve tried lots of things, including making a down draft table, but I was never satisfied. Finally bought Festool sanders and their HEPA dust extractor and no longer hate the the process of sanding. There is little mess to clean up as the sanders are designed with dust extraction in mind.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-13-2020, 02:47 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThankyou View Post
I've tried almost everything including a down draft table connected to a dust collector. The best solution is to use the dust bags that came with the sander and empty them frequently.
It is also important to use sanding disks that match the hole pattern in the pad, there are some universal disks that only allow partial openings.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode