New HF Dust Collector advice - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 03-11-2013, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

View ironman123's Photo Album My Photos
New HF Dust Collector advice

I bought the 2HP HF Dust Collector. I use a Bandsaw, Scroll Saw, 4X36 Belt Sander and Smpaa Table Saw. Have a 12X16 Shop.
Use one tool at a time.

Should I use hoses same size as the Dust Collector connectors which are 4 inches or should I adapt to bigger 6 inch hoses?

The band saw has a 2-1/4 dust outlet, Belt Sander has I think a 1-1/4 inch outlet. Do I adapt down to those sizes right at the machines or what?

Thanks in advance and all advice is appreciated.

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-11-2013, 10:40 AM

View captainawesome's Photo Album My Photos
The 6" is probably not necessary and I think you will be fine with running 4" hose. You want to keep the reductions as short as possible, so I would find adapters that will fit your machines on one end, and the 4" hose on the other. You may also find that a shop vac will work a little better on things like the scroll saw since the dust will be much finer. Depending on what size bansaw you have, the shop vac may also work there.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-11-2013, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

View ironman123's Photo Album My Photos
New HF Dust Collector advice

Thank you Capt.Awesome. The bandsaw is a 16 inch Delta, 1986 type.

I kept reading where most people were going to 6 inch. Figured they had bigger shops or more machinery or better grade machines.

Thanks,

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-11-2013, 02:06 PM

View Ninefingers's Photo Album My Photos
I put in a HF 2hp DC along with a Super Dust Deputy this past weekend. I'm surprised how much the suction is reduced at the tool port... it feels like I've lost well more than half of the static pressure compared to the second port at the DC. I expected I'd lose SOME, but this amount surprised me. Does this match what others are seeing??

Dave
post #5 of 6 Old 03-11-2013, 02:43 PM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
Dave, that's what happens when you choke a DC. They are not made to overcome high static pressure (choking down), and so you lose air flow. I've run the largest ducting I can to every tool, and replaced dust hoods to replace a 4" port with a 6" one. The other thing to remember is that any separator will add some drag to a system, reducing air flow. That's generally why you'll see cyclones have the larger motors/impellers, to oversome the resistance of the cyclone itself.

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)
post #6 of 6 Old 03-11-2013, 05:26 PM

View gmcsmoke's Photo Album My Photos
My shop is 12 x 20 and I bought a 27' ex flex hose and just move the hose from machine to machine rather than building a dedicated vac line.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode