I'm thinking this for DC. Thoughts? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 1 Old 03-01-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

View gmaffPappy's Photo Album My Photos
I'm thinking this for DC. Thoughts?

Iím looking for a new dust collector and want to get something that will really eliminate the fine particles. So, after reading all these posts, Iím convince, Direct Venting is the solution, instead of expensive a two stage solution with costly replacement filters.

Background on the shop:
1. My shop is small. 28íx10í. (standard 3rd car garage with a 10í bump out on the back.) My truck usually parks diagonally across 1/2 of the 2 car garage and into the bump out on the 3rd. Itís a big truck that doesnít fit a standard 2 car garage. So all the tools push up around the sides of the garage. I roll them and the truck out for use.

2. Iím the only person who works in the shop. I can only run one machine at a time, plus the DC.
Tools: Band Saw, Table Saw, Planer, Jointer, Routing Table.

3. Sometimes, when itís really cold outside, I put a space heater where Iím working. Itís only there to take a little chill off. By no means is it an attempt to temp control the garage. In the summer, I open up the back door and the garage door and let the breeze cool me down, so no AC to worry about. The garage is isolated from house by an exterior door. There should be no issues with reduced pressures caused by Direct Venting the DC. If I need more air, Iíll crack the back door or one of the garage doors.

4. The garage use to be dedicated to woodworking and had ducks before I got the truck. Iím considering reinstalling the 25í run on the exterior wall and having a flex run for when I use the saw. It will have 6 45% Yís with blast gates.

5. I have both 110 and 220 available. The 220 is 40 amps, and yes the wire and breaker are rated for that.

6. Noise Ė My neighbors are close and I plan to aim the exhaust directly out the wall. This points right at their house. Truthfully, I donít care. Heís an A$$ and mows his lawn at 7:00 AM in the morning. If I have to deal with that, he can suck it up (pun intended) and deal with the intermittent DC noise. His mower is no doubt louder than a DC exhaust. Iím a hobbyist, not a professional, so use is not full time.

Hereís my proposed solution:
55 gal drum
Super Dust Deputy
??? (Brand, Size, and HP) Collector Blower & Motor
6Ē Main Line
6Ē Exhaust Vent
6Ē Exterior Louvered Vent

Now, please poke holes in the plan!

What type of Blower/Motor should I get? Please keep in Iím trying to keep costs down, but donít want junk. I figure if I save by not buying a +$1K DC, thatís a lot of wood I can buy, once I buy these parts. As usual, labor is free.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DC.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	372465  

If anything else, make really great Sawdust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode