Grizzly G1049 dust collector? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 02-04-2016, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

View ChuckBarnett's Photo Album My Photos
Grizzly G1049 dust collector?

The Craigslist ad says it is a two horsepower, 220 volts. The seller doesn't see a model number but says the tag says it was built in 2004. I called the Grizzly techs and Joe said he thinks its the 1049 with 6 inch intake with a y to 2 4 inch lines. Grizzly rates it at 1550 CFM. It would seem to be a good choice. Original selling price was $270; these folks haven't used it very much and have a price of $250 on it.

Grizzly 220v dust collector - $250
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tls/5428849463.html

I welcome your wisdom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-04-2016, 07:02 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Looks a lot like the harbor freight unit to me:
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-in...tor-97869.html

That said, the price seems a little high to me, given that you can pick up the new harbor freight unit for roughly half that

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #3 of 14 Old 02-04-2016, 08:02 PM

View OnealWoodworking's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBarnett View Post
The Craigslist ad says it is a two horsepower, 220 volts. The seller doesn't see a model number but says the tag says it was built in 2004. I called the Grizzly techs and Joe said he thinks its the 1049 with 6 inch intake with a y to 2 4 inch lines. Grizzly rates it at 1550 CFM. It would seem to be a good choice. Original selling price was $270; these folks haven't used it very much and have a price of $250 on it.

Grizzly 220v dust collector - $250
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tls/5428849463.html

I welcome your wisdom.
I would pass on that one.

For one thing it has the hose going from the impeller housing to the collector body - Those do not flow near as well as the same motor with a rigid duct there (like the newer models have).

That also has the Grizzly bags (which are garbage on their BEST day).

For just about 400 you can get a NEW 2HP Grizzly (without the hose) and WITH a canister filter. It is going to filter better AND flow more air than what you found above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-04-2016, 08:58 PM
Pain in the A$$

View Burb's Photo Album My Photos
As a guy who likes the Green Machines, I'd pass on that. Way overpriced for used. Plus that bag doesn't filter very well and you'd want to upgrade to a better filter soon.

Mark

Mark

"Measuring is the enemy of accuracy." Chris Schwartz
post #5 of 14 Old 02-06-2016, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all. I did buy this one at $200. Turns out it is the G1029Z. Better filter bag, 6" intake (over the Harbor Freight model that is 4") will be better for my installation. And it does seem genuinely that it's sat for some years. I rarely go against this forum's advice, but...
post #6 of 14 Old 02-06-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBarnett View Post
Thank you all. I did buy this one at $200. Turns out it is the G1029Z. Better filter bag, 6" intake (over the Harbor Freight model that is 4") will be better for my installation. And it does seem genuinely that it's sat for some years. I rarely go against this forum's advice, but...
Even if it was used daily for hours on end each time - It would most likely last for many, many years if it was only half-way cared for and serviced occasionally.

post #7 of 14 Old 02-06-2016, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

And I don't even get out there every day. & I don't imagine that I would put more than an hour on that machine any day I would be using it. So I think it has a lot of life for me. And at 64 it will outlast me. :-)
post #8 of 14 Old 02-06-2016, 05:48 PM
Pain in the A$$

I'm confident this unit will last you just fine. I strongly suggest upgrading to a quality canister filter as even the "good" bags aren't near as efficient as a good canister filter.

Mark

post #9 of 14 Old 02-06-2016, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

I will look into that. :-)
post #10 of 14 Old 02-07-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
I'm confident this unit will last you just fine. I strongly suggest upgrading to a quality canister filter as even the "good" bags aren't near as efficient as a good canister filter.

Do you have any personal experience with 'good bags' or is this just what you read in a magazine?
post #11 of 14 Old 02-07-2016, 12:49 PM
Pain in the A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnealWoodworking View Post
Do you have any personal experience with 'good bags' or is this just what you read in a magazine?
Not personal or from a magazine, but from a couple people who I've spoken with in person who each tried the good bags (2.5-5 micron vs 30 micron) as a cheaper alternative to the canister filter and wished they'd just gone for the canister filter.

Mark

post #12 of 14 Old 02-11-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Not personal or from a magazine, but from a couple people who I've spoken with in person who each tried the good bags (2.5-5 micron vs 30 micron) as a cheaper alternative to the canister filter and wished they'd just gone for the canister filter.
Were these by any chance the Grizzly brand bags or some other Chinese stuff?
post #13 of 14 Old 02-11-2016, 11:17 PM
Pain in the A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnealWoodworking
Were these by any chance the Grizzly brand bags or some other Chinese stuff?
Don't know.

It's obvious you don't agree with me. I'm okay with that :)

Mark

post #14 of 14 Old 02-12-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Don't know.

It's obvious you don't agree with me. I'm okay with that :)
If we are talking about the Grizzly brand lower micron bags - I think I would agree with you after reading their ads for them.

Check these out:

https://www.grizzly.com/products/19-...29-G1030/G5558

https://www.grizzly.com/products/2-5...0-Series/G5556

Quote:
These replacement bags offer the greatest airflow, least differential pressure and best overall efficiency available. Micro-porous to shed dust and dirt, so bags empty quickly and completely. Envelope style.
The thing to 'notice' here is that all of these bags are the same size as their standard 30 micron bags. (One reason that the 'standard' 30 micron bags generally used on these Taiwan machines blow up and run hard as a brick is because they are horribly undersized for the application)

They honestly expect us to believe that they can increase the airflow AND trap much finer particles at the same time without changing the size of the bags at all according to both the links I posted above.

In reality it just doesn't work that way. To filter finer one is going to have to increase the bag size to make up (or reduce) for the increase in backpressure. This is why your friends were sadly disappointed.

AFF bags would have had a different result as they would have been 'properly sized' for the intended application and CFM requirements. One of the first things they did the last time I placed an order was ask about the CFM requirements for my particular machine. :smile3:

The last DC that I bought is pretty much the same thing as what (the OP) Mr. Barnett just bought. I run a @1 micron upper filter bag at the 'standard' dia. of @20" and I get relatively zero backpressure while the machine is in use. But... It takes me a good 10 feet of bag to be able to flow that much air somewhat 'freely' through that 'fine' of a filter.

8 feet worth of bag 'might' work just fine for some applications (chips instead of fine dust for example) but the bag is definitely going to want to puff up a lot firmer than a 10 foot bag.

I can't imagine for the life of me how it would be possible to NOT choke down a machine with backpressure if a guy was trying to push that much air through a bag type filter designed to only allow relatively small particles to pass through at only 3 feet of length.

That just ain't going to happen. .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode