Garbage can cyclone question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 20 Old 02-22-2013, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

View Larryh86GT's Photo Album My Photos
Garbage can cyclone question

I've seen some of these garbage can separators made with both the inlet and outlet in the lid were each made with elbows on the sides of the lid and some I've seen that the inlet was an elbow on the side and the outlet pipe was a straight piece in the center of the lid. Does anyone have any insight on which is better or doesn't it matter much? Both will work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-22-2013, 04:45 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Both will work about the same if the inside baffle is the same on both. There called Thien Separators.

If your talking about just the store made lids they will not work even close to the home made one's in most cases.
post #3 of 20 Old 02-22-2013, 05:52 PM

View toolguy1000's Photo Album My Photos
her is phil thien's site:

http://www.jpthien.com/cy.htm

i kind of agree with RRBROWN, but will offer that i have seen commercially available lids retrofitted with thien baffles and it reportedly increases their efficiency of the dust and particle separation. many WWs don't bother with the commercial units as it's not terribly difficult to fabricate a separator from shop scrap.

also, if the primary dust collector is a single stage unit, like a delta 50-850, the baffle can be incorporated into the unit's drum ring to save space. i added a proxy for the thien baffle (i used a frying pan) which mimicked jet's vortex:

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/40189

hope this helps.

there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 02-22-2013, 08:50 PM

View RogerInColorado's Photo Album My Photos
I have just the 30 gallon can with the Woodcraft separator. Before the separator I had to empty the bag at least once a month. I put the separator in about 2 years ago. I have to empty the can about once a month when I use the collector every day. I have had to empty the bag once since I added the can separator. I have the Grizzly 1HP. I use the collector for my table saw, planer, band saw and drum sander. I move the hose tool to tool.
post #5 of 20 Old 02-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Sawdust Wrangler

View mobilepaul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryh86GT View Post
I've seen some of these garbage can separators made with both the inlet and outlet in the lid were each made with elbows on the sides of the lid and some I've seen that the inlet was an elbow on the side and the outlet pipe was a straight piece in the center of the lid. Does anyone have any insight on which is better or doesn't it matter much? Both will work?
Phil Thien told me that if you use 6" for the outlet, you have to do the side mounted outlet...

You can go to Phil's site and pose any questions you are pondering. You will get an answer.

Paul
post #6 of 20 Old 02-22-2013, 11:24 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilepaul View Post
Phil Thien told me that if you use 6" for the outlet, you have to do the side mounted outlet...

You can go to Phil's site and pose any questions you are pondering. You will get an answer.

Paul
Well I have 6" inlet and outlet both top mounted. I went with a 55 gal drum for the depth the width is the same as the trash can but they fit.

I disagree with some of Phil's statements because he basically says anything less then 5 hp is to small for a cyclone.
post #7 of 20 Old 02-23-2013, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies folks. I don't have room to store a proper DC so I am just trying to make a redneck separator out of a plastic 30 gallon garbage can to use with a shop vac to capture the chips when I use my little 10" Ryobi surface planer.
post #8 of 20 Old 02-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerInColorado View Post
I have just the 30 gallon can with the Woodcraft separator. Before the separator I had to empty the bag at least once a month. I put the separator in about 2 years ago. I have to empty the can about once a month when I use the collector every day. I have had to empty the bag once since I added the can separator. I have the Grizzly 1HP. I use the collector for my table saw, planer, band saw and drum sander. I move the hose tool to tool.
EXACTLY!

I have the Jet DC (I think that it is the 1-1/2 HP but I run it on 230 Volts.) I empty the bottom bag of the DC about every 6 months only because much more than 1 foot of wood flour gets heavy. The trash can is emptied about once a month.

The Woodcraft trash can lid thing was improved with an elbow to create a swirl inside the trash can. I even have a kludge so that I can use a 33 gallon trash bag inside the trash can. All the large stuff gets trapped in the can. All the flour goes to the DC bag.

In terms of a "PERFECT" large particle separation dust collection system, this system rates at least a 90 out of 100. Until I can find someone that wants to buy the "flour", I see no need to separate any better.

BTW - The DC bags are Penn State Industries 1 micron bags. This gives great air flow.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #9 of 20 Old 02-24-2013, 10:52 PM

View RogerInColorado's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrich View Post
EXACTLY!

I even have a kludge so that I can use a 33 gallon trash bag inside the trash can. All the large stuff gets trapped in the can. All the flour goes to the DC bag.

Rich, what's the kluge that you use so you can use a plastic bag inside the trash can?
post #10 of 20 Old 02-25-2013, 12:50 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
kluge?

Quote:
Rich, what's the kluge that you use so you can use a plastic bag inside the trash can?
Whachutalkin' 'bout Willis?

A kludge (or kluge) is a workaround, a quick-and-dirty solution, a clumsy, inelegant, difficult to extend, hard to maintain yet effective and quick solution to a problem, and a rough synonym to the terms "jury rig", "Jugaad" or "jerry rig". This term is used in diverse fields such as computer science, aerospace engineering, internet slang, and evolutionary neuroscience.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #11 of 20 Old 02-25-2013, 08:30 AM

View jimmomech8's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I have the same set up with a Rockler dust collector and never have to empty the bag because I vented it outside. Have to empty can mostly when using joiner or planer.
post #12 of 20 Old 02-25-2013, 10:12 AM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
So anyone got pictures of how they've setup their pre-seperator to use bags? I don't want to have to try and dump a 55gallon can of wood chips every time it fills up. I want to be able to just tie off the bag and go.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #13 of 20 Old 02-25-2013, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

So I guess just go with 2 elbows on the lid and hope for the best. The chips will fall where they fall. I'm kind of where I started.
post #14 of 20 Old 02-25-2013, 01:31 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
So anyone got pictures of how they've setup their pre-seperator to use bags? I don't want to have to try and dump a 55gallon can of wood chips every time it fills up. I want to be able to just tie off the bag and go.
A pre-separator is under suction.

Trying to use a bag will result in the bag being pulled into the outlet connection.
post #15 of 20 Old 02-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post

Trying to use a bag will result in the bag being pulled into the outlet connection.
Not true, if done correctly.

I'll start a new thread.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #16 of 20 Old 02-25-2013, 07:08 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine

My initial assumption, until I saw the earlier post.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #17 of 20 Old 03-03-2013, 10:33 PM

View kmwhalley's Photo Album My Photos
Is it necessary to have a metal garbage can??? Or will a plastic one work just fine??
post #18 of 20 Old 03-04-2013, 09:21 AM
Peg Leg

View commodore's Photo Album My Photos
Well I had hoped to answer your question with a youtube video of a guy's collector imploding where he used a cheap plastic can, but I can't find it this morning. I have seen plenty of others using plastic barrels and cans. My guess is don't be cheap and buy one that will work as a trash can for your shop if all else fails.

Dave
post #20 of 20 Old 03-04-2013, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

So it seems to be doable with a plastic garbage can. And if I use rrich's can liner idea http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f32/t...age-bag-48965/ it should give the can more resistence to collapsing. I will give it a try when it warms up a little here.

Last edited by Larryh86GT; 03-04-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode