A little while ago, I asked the question about the Dust Deputy cyclone and whether or not it would help to keep my filter in my shop vac cleaner. A local tool supplier had it on sale for $89 for the whole kit, and $45 for just the cyclone section. No matter how much I tried, I just couldn't justify purchasing the cyclone until I tried some other methods first.
I spent a good part of today constructing a seperator complete with a Thien baffle to help with the dust. Using the vague pictorial on Paul Thien's site, I started in.
I wanted the collector to fit a 5 gallon plastic pail. Space is at a premium in my shop and I needed something that could sit behind a tool.
Measuring the top of the 5 gallon pail, I cut some plywood into 12 1/2" squares and marked the center point on each.
Using one of my band saws, I rough cut the first circle to fit the top of the pail. I know that some of you are pretty disappointed that I would use a band saw instead of the ever popular scroll saw that I seem to favour. I was giving my scroll saw a rest.
After sanding up to the line and test fitting, I measured the interior dimension of the bucket and set up the router table to cut the rabbet required to have the "lid" sit tightly inside of the pail. A test fitting proved to be perfect the first try. I guess my measuring skills are improving.
From this point, I needed to mark and cut the holes that would hold my 90 degree bend and my shop vac attachments. So as to not disappoint the members of WWT, I used my scroll saw for this action.
I then test fit the 90 degree bend in the hole to the outside of the lid. The hole required a little bit of sanding with the oscillating sander, but in the end, I got a nice tight fit.
to be continued..................