Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Denver Area, Colorado
LOL... No... I didn't meat to build a terrible thein example and really only included it in the video so people could see how wrong I went with it and maybe avoid the same issues. The first try was a total fail, but the second with a can of water under it to hold it down was marginally better. My intention was to finish the other tests and come back to fully build out a proper thein... use better materials, get the placement right, secure it properly, and do a wealth of adjustments to it until it got the best separation it could. However, after my own style (I have not seen any tall theins, so saw that as significantly different as well as the slot placement, etc.) got to 100% visible removal with such a very easy build and only one adjustment to the inner pipe length, I could not justify spending days and a lot of money to try to perfect a properly built thein.
If I had a way to test down to finer particles, I may have gone further into adjusting builds, etc, but 100% visible is where I felt ease of build outweighed dealing with something a lot more complex.
I do maintain that a perfectly built thein could very well have advantages over my version, but without ability to test that... I didn't feel necessary to go back. :)
Three table saws... of course that isn't enough.