• 2 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By hawkeye10
  • 1 Post By AmishElectricCo
  • 1 Post By Carl10
  • 1 Post By ORBlackFZ1

post #1 of 13 Old 02-21-2018, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

View AmishElectricCo's Photo Album My Photos
Question Dust Deputy - 50% Efficiency?

Attached is my Dust Deputy cart. I got the design from a YouTube video. I chose this one because of how easy it is to empty the bucket. The middle shelf is hinged, and the toggle clamps exert pressure against the bucket, sealing it against the bottom of the top shelf. Just release the clamps, and the platform drops enough to slide the bucket out. Anyway...

I haven't glued the PVC yet. I gave this thing a test run and it worked great - I could see the dust spinning in the cyclone. But after checking, only about half of the dust went into my bucket and the other half went into the Shop Vac. This is a far cry from the 98% efficiency I've seen out of this thing.

Anyone have an idea of what I've done wrong here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180221_173859.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	342817  

⚡ Anthony

Last edited by AmishElectricCo; 02-21-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-21-2018, 06:37 PM

View Sawdustmaker99's Photo Album My Photos
If youíre sucking the maximum volume of dirt that the vacuum can pull itíll overwhelm the cyclone. The more likely problem is the bucket leaks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sawdustmaker99 For This Useful Post:
AmishElectricCo (02-21-2018)
post #3 of 13 Old 02-21-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

I will check that first.

The bucket has pipe insulation wrapped around the lip. It doesn't go all the way around, there is a small gap in the back. I didn't figure it would hurt much, but now that I think about it...if that seal is broken, it would prevent a proper vacuum.

Thanks!

⚡ Anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-21-2018, 07:01 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I am an air flow expert .....

What I know about air flow is this, my dog likes to ride with his head out the window..... that's about it.
I suspect 2 things here however... too much vertical height and too many 90 degree bends. I would reverse the arrangement and put the shop vac on top and the bucket on the bottom, eliminate any unnecessary bends and as suggested make dang certain the bucket has a good seal.
freedhardwoods and hawkeye10 like this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-21-2018 at 08:00 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-21-2018, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
...make dang certain the bucket has a good seal.
Turns out that was the problem. I ran another bead of pipe insulation around the rim of the bucket and added an extension piece so that it went all the way around. Add some electrical tape, and my jury-rigging was complete. Worked like a charm, though. I busted through a large pile of sawdust and it all went in the bucket this time. Just a tiny bit inside the Shop Vac, as advertised.

Now I just need to figure out a better way to seal my bucket. That janky pipe insulation isn't going to cut the mustard. Maybe some weatherstripping or a piece of dense foam glued to that top shelf.

⚡ Anthony
post #6 of 13 Old 02-24-2018, 09:01 AM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishElectricCompany View Post
Turns out that was the problem. I ran another bead of pipe insulation around the rim of the bucket and added an extension piece so that it went all the way around. Add some electrical tape, and my jury-rigging was complete. Worked like a charm, though. I busted through a large pile of sawdust and it all went in the bucket this time. Just a tiny bit inside the Shop Vac, as advertised.

Now I just need to figure out a better way to seal my bucket. That janky pipe insulation isn't going to cut the mustard. Maybe some weatherstripping or a piece of dense foam glued to that top shelf.

Glad you got it worked out Anthony. I only get a light dusting in my vac and I bet from now on you will too.
AmishElectricCo likes this.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-24-2018, 11:16 AM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
my first reaction looking at the pix was:

the the cyclone bottom plate lid is flat -
the bucket platform is hinged (presumed...?) -
when you jack up only one edge with the toggle clamps the gasket sealing pressure is not equal....

the top of the bucket is not parallel with the bottom of the cyclone plate so the sealing mechanism needs a lot of crushability.

can you 'adjust' the level of the cyclone plate so it is parallel to the bucket rim in the 'closed' position?
post #8 of 13 Old 03-06-2018, 07:23 PM

View ORBlackFZ1's Photo Album My Photos
Parallelogram Bed Design

Ditto on what TomCT2 said!

Do you know what a jointer with a parallelogram bed design looks like? That is what you would have to design instead of using hinges. It is probably easier just to have good seal at the top of the bucket and unseal it each time you want to empty the bucket.

If you have a lot of time, energy, mechanical ability and like puzzles, then by all means include the parallelogram design. I will warn you the design is much easier than the implementation. If you use metal instead of wood parts, it will work better and last a lot longer.

Someone on this forum (I think this forum, maybe it was on the Thien forum, don't quote me on that), designed one for their dust collection barrel. So, it can be done. I remember that it was raised up and down using a power drill...

If you do make one, please post photos and tell us how it turns out.

Eric

Ain't technology grand........when it works.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-06-2018, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCT2 View Post
my first reaction looking at the pix was:

the the cyclone bottom plate lid is flat -
the bucket platform is hinged (presumed...?) -
when you jack up only one edge with the toggle clamps the gasket sealing pressure is not equal....
Correct, the bucket platform is hinged @ the back. The front trim piece is 1/8" short, so the platform drops when the toggle clamps are disengaged - then the bucket can be slid out and emptied. With the clamps engaged, the platform is level, so there is an equal amount of pressure around the seal. It may not be exact, but it doesn't leak - so that's a win in my book.

I've been using this setup for several days. There's currently about 4" of collected material in my bucket, and just a very light film of dust inside the Shop Vac itself.

I'm not happy with the bucket setup. The pipe insulation is janky, and it's going to come off over time. Mostly it just gets in the way when emptying the bucket. I think I'm going to apply a seal to the bottom platform of the cyclone and see how that works.

⚡ Anthony
post #10 of 13 Old 03-29-2018, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Just wanted to provide an update...

Here you can see about 2" of collected dust in my bucket, along with the janky pipe insulation wrap. As for the Shop Vac canister, there is a tiny bit of dust around the rim, but that's it. It's still shiny and no dust or chunks in the bottom.

Very happy with how this project came out, though I still want to remove that pipe insulation from the bucket and add some kind of seal to the platform itself.

Please pardon the Crocs. They're comfy. Don't judge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180329_213337.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	351993  

intrepid likes this.

⚡ Anthony
post #11 of 13 Old 03-30-2018, 10:32 AM

View Carl10's Photo Album My Photos
The other thing you can consider is using a/c pipe insulation versus the standard pipe insulation. What I am thinking about is different from what it looks like you used (not stiff or can hold its self up like the water pipe wrap -reminds me of pool float toys).
This stuff is more rubbery and soft. I think it would fit your shape better and compress better.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Armaflex...5812/100550644

I have not seen what this looks like in real life but I think this is it.

Hope this helps,
Carl
The Following User Says Thank You to Carl10 For This Useful Post:
AmishElectricCo (03-31-2018)
post #12 of 13 Old 04-13-2018, 04:12 PM

View OldDon's Photo Album My Photos
When I made up my Dust Deputy I chose a bucket left over from sidewalk salt melt that had a snap on lid that seals fairly tight. I guess sealed to keep the salt melt from absorbing moisture from the air and turning into one large brick. I read about sealing all air leaks from the instructions and never had a problem.

Craftsman 113.29992 Table saw, Craftsman 10" band saw, H. F. 10" drill press, MicroLux 7"x16" lathe, Dewalt 734 planer & Craftsman 6 1/8" jointer
post #13 of 13 Old 04-14-2018, 09:22 PM

View ORBlackFZ1's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishElectricCompany View Post
Just wanted to provide an update...

Here you can see about 2" of collected dust in my bucket, along with the janky pipe insulation wrap. As for the Shop Vac canister, there is a tiny bit of dust around the rim, but that's it. It's still shiny and no dust or chunks in the bottom.

Very happy with how this project came out, though I still want to remove that pipe insulation from the bucket and add some kind of seal to the platform itself.

Please pardon the Crocs. They're comfy. Don't judge.
Try door/window weather stripping instead of your pipe insulation. I have used this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Duck-3-8-in-x-204-in-Medium-Gap-Seal-Weatherstrip-282435/301291140
in the past. (Duck Medium Gap Seal Weatherstrip) for various pre-separator lid seals to the bucket. I have also used it between my router table top and the cabinet. It works well and is pretty in-expensive.

Eric

Ain't technology grand........when it works.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode