Now that the planer is connected, the next machine to tackle is the table saw. Now I have a 80's era Grizzly saw. I guess you would call it contractors saw, because it has the exposed motor off the back and the bottom is open.
This saw was always unbalanced. When my dad first bought it he bought the right hand extension wing only, he always said he wished he'd gotten both. It would want to tip over to the right if you leaned on the right wing. to combat this i added a base bracing like two big feet that extend to the right. bolted to the saw base this counteracts the tipping motion.
I also added these great leveling feet made out of hockey pucks. Ill make a post about just those sooner or later, there great.
These kind of saws did not have dust collection in mind when they were manufactured. But no problem, little bit of thinking, whole lotta cardboard templates and we now have a solid base that funnels the sawdust to a 4" outlet.
Sealed the gaps with asphalt sealant. this is the same stuff i used to seal up my media blasting cabinet. Dries, but doesn't crack once dry. I've had good experiences with it so far.
But whoa, that would be too easy. we also need to work on covering some of these opening all around the saw, create some more suction to direct the chaos of wood chips when your running it. So a back plate with some magnets that slips between the motor and the saw body, check.
Now where the saw body and the cast iron top meet has some gaps as well, you wouldn't think it because who looks under there, but yea those got filled with spray foam. (pretty curious on how this will work, its either gunna be a home run, or a total failure and pipe clog)
Got some rewiring to do on the saw, wanting a longer plug in cord instead of daisy chaining an extension cord, and then its reassembly and testing.
Taking the whole table saw apart might have been overkill, but it gave me a excuse to do a deep clean and mechanical maintenance that often times gets overlooked.