Dust Collection wiring - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 09-08-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

View Wood_Man's Photo Album My Photos
Question Dust Collection wiring

Long time lurker, first time poster! Great forum here!

OK - So I have fabricated my own cyclone-style collection system and have it hooked to a 5 (peak) HP Shop-Vac. I have some of my collection lines run to my equipment (Chop saw, table saw, and planner) and will eventully add a few lines for my drill press, band saw, and wood lathe (as soon as my father decides to gift them to me!)

My question revolves around how to best wire the collection system to automatically turn on. With just the Chop saw, table saw, and planner - I could use something like the iVac Automated Vacuum Switch. From what I have read, you can plug a power strip into the iVac's "Tool Power" outlet and each tool will activate the vacuum. This works - but isn't really optimal when machines are not located in close proximity - and would rely on extension coords routed from the machines to this power strip. I would rather have this hardwired because, as my wife says, I make everything more complicated than it needs to be.

Is there a way to hardwire a load sensor like the iVAC (or any other reasonably priced options you folks know of?) into a standard electrical cuircut of outlets - so that, when any load is sensed on one of the outlets, the vacuum outlet gets powered, and turns on my vacuum? I realize this would put all my machines on one cuircut, but I'm a one-man-band and more than one machine will not be running at the same time.

Attached are two drawings. One is the not optimal "power strip method", and the second is a proposed solution. What do you folks think?

Note: I know male to male extension cords are bad but I cannot come up with a alternative at this point.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-08-2017, 11:04 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
What caught my eye about the automated switch is it's rated at 15amps. This isn't much for power tools especially if you have a 5hp vacuum to run too. It's 15amps for both tools.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-08-2017, 11:38 AM

View CaptainMike's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with Steve in that simultaneously running a large shopvac and just about any shop tool will challenge a single circuit. I have my dust collector wired and switched on a separate circuit then utilize shop-built blast gates to isolate each of 4 ports in the system. Here's a link to the blast gates:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-08-2017, 06:12 PM
An experienced novice

View GuitarPhotographer's Photo Album My Photos
I just bought a cheap wireless power control ($13 with one remote). It's rated 1750W. I bought two more remotes ($7 ea), so now I can turn the DC system on and off from each of the connected tools, for $27 total. We'll see how well the cheap control holds up, but....

<Chas>
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it

Tags
cyclone, dust collection, ivac, vacuum, wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode