4Likes
  • 1 Post By shoot summ
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By BWSmith
  • 1 Post By Rebelwork

post #1 of 13 Old 05-27-2016, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Luthier and Carpenter

View DavidBrusicSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Exclamation Dust Collection Advice Needed!

Hello:

I work for a wood manufacturing firm and we have a larger furniture production facility. We are trying to get better at collecting the invisible dust that we create while sanding that creates health concerns. In particularly, the sanding-dust that we create when sanding our Black Walnut, Honduran and African Mahogany, and other potentially harmful species. We have a large dust collection system, but it is ineffective against this microscopic dust. Our employees use hand-sanders, so I am unsure if downdraft tables can be effective in counteracting the force created by our powerful sanders.

Some of our competitors are creating small rooms where the entire air supply of the room is being filtered a few times an hour. While this is possible, we are wondering if we can create a downdraft system that uses an existing dust collection system we have in place. A few years ago, we tried using some dust collection methods attached to some sanders. The sanders were not as wieldy as what the employees were using before, so they hated the system. However, we still have all the pipes ran for the system.

Which brings me to my question in which I need advice: is the idea of designing a table and hooking it up to a separate dust collection system warrant any research? We are really just trying to capture sanding dust, and since we have the pipes ran, we can design our own "downdraft tables" to work through our unused system. However, I am unsure if this kind of design would capture the dust that we are trying to.

If this system would not work, does anyone have any advice about making a system for each workstation? Creating a sanding room may be difficult as we would have to reorganize the factory, so we are looking for workstation size solutions. Can anyone provide any guidance on this matter? Thank you!

David Brusic Smith

Brusic Rose Inc

7300 South Central Ave, Bedford Park IL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-27-2016, 01:03 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Down draft tables work quite well, IMO, lot's of variations and configurations.

There are many on the market, here is one example:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/20-x...campaign=zPage
post #3 of 13 Old 05-27-2016, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Luthier and Carpenter

Thanks for the information! I will look into those on the site.

My one concern with buying all new downdraft tables is that the size we would need on each would end up being extremely costly. While I don't expect to buy a "sofa sized" one for every workstation, I am guessing buying one large enough for tall dining chairs would end up being a hundred thousand+dollar project.

If I have a large dust collection system that is not in use, how hard do you think it would be to create my own tables and it be as effective as the Grizzly ones that you think would get the job done? Do you think I would have to install something to get additional suction based on the size of the table that I would need?

Again, thanks a ton for your advice!

David Brusic Smith

Brusic Rose Inc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-27-2016, 02:05 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBrusicSmith View Post
Thanks for the information! I will look into those on the site.

My one concern with buying all new downdraft tables is that the size we would need on each would end up being extremely costly. While I don't expect to buy a "sofa sized" one for every workstation, I am guessing buying one large enough for tall dining chairs would end up being a hundred thousand+dollar project.

If I have a large dust collection system that is not in use, how hard do you think it would be to create my own tables and it be as effective as the Grizzly ones that you think would get the job done? Do you think I would have to install something to get additional suction based on the size of the table that I would need?

Again, thanks a ton for your advice!
Lots of people build their own. Pretty common in small shops to use an old furnace motor and squirrel cage for the "suction", pulling the air through a couple of good filters. Those units aren't typically larger than 2'x3' though. The challenge with building your own, is matching the air movement capabilities of the dust system to the openings in the table. Too many openings spread over too large of an area, will eventually make it ineffective.

I've also seen "shrouds" similar to a paint booth setup that move a lot of air. I'm not an expert in air movement, but I suspect you reach a point where using some sort of air moving system is better than trying to use a dust collection system.
DavidBrusicSmith likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-27-2016, 04:49 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
You can check Ebay

You can check Ebay for down draft tables. They run from $200. to $8000.00. I like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Baileigh-Woo...IAAOxyzHxRXIrQ

You can always block off 1/2 of it to "focus" the draft for smaller parts. If I were you and had metal fabrication facilities I would use your existing system for the suction portion and either use an existing grid or build you own from metal or wood. You just build a sloped wall cabinet below and attach you duct collector fitting.

Use this for the grating:
http://www.duracomposites.com/indust...-grid-grating/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 05-27-2016 at 04:52 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-27-2016, 05:03 PM

View philmy's Photo Album My Photos
For industrial uses try
http://www2.donaldson.com/torit/en-u...s/default.aspx
We have there grinding booths for sanding & grinding composite aircraft. All sorts of booth sizes.
The Following User Says Thank You to philmy For This Useful Post:
DavidBrusicSmith (06-16-2016)
post #7 of 13 Old 05-28-2016, 04:01 PM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Google Filter 1,Benchtron backdraft tables.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-28-2016, 04:19 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
We are looking into the Denray 4x8 tables. Making a downdraft is + or - in business and not worth the time. I think we may have as many 12-15 5" DA's going at one time. The painT department is sealed off but the upholstery dept. isn't and it creates problems.

Hopefully when the showroom gets completed the downdraft tables are next on the list.

I guess the point being is it worth experimenting or buy what we know works?
post #9 of 13 Old 06-16-2016, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Luthier and Carpenter

Donaldson Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmy View Post
For industrial uses try
http://www2.donaldson.com/torit/en-u...s/default.aspx
We have there grinding booths for sanding & grinding composite aircraft. All sorts of booth sizes.
Philmy:

Thanks for the suggestion. I have checked a great number of the suggestions given to me. A donaldson representative just left and it sounds like that we are all in agreement that booths are what we need. The downdraft tables were good suggestions, but the sanding booths sound like a better option.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! And per everyone's request, I'll open a new threat with pictures of our woodshop.

David Brusic Smith

Brusic Rose Inc

post #10 of 13 Old 06-16-2016, 01:49 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
the recommended method to collect dust is at the source. we tried a grizzly downdraft and it was junk - bad experience and we never went back to one.

we purchased fein shop vacs (quiet) with all of the micron filters/bags, went through a dust deputy and flexible 1" hoses to our sanders. the hose flexibility is key to keeping the sander agile. we have cut down on the ambient air dust immensely. we sometimes don't even run our room filters now, where you wouldn't even think of it before with 3-4 ROS running.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-25-2016, 12:50 AM

View virtu's Photo Album My Photos
Hi.

I need some suggestion of a shop vac to collect dust and sawdust from my orbital sander and jig saw.
My budget is lower, so I need something that can reduce the mess that I have to clean later.

PS. I am in Canada.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-25-2016, 04:31 AM
Raindrop Counter

View Jammersix's Photo Album My Photos
Man, I like the idea of a separate room. That seems like the route I would investigate. As you are discovering, the closer you look, the more dust you see.

I have regretted some purchases, but I have never regretted a single penny spent on upgrading dust collection systems.

"When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelley, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to recognize that an LZ was too hot, moments before before being killed by a single shot, July 1, 1964.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-09-2016, 07:32 AM

View Ella Rollins's Photo Album My Photos
Great tips.. Thanks for sharing..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode