Delta dust collector motor Question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 23 Old 09-12-2012, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Delta dust collector motor Question

Ok, so I have a delta 1.5 Hp dust collector, motor plate says it draws 12 amps on 110, 6 on 220, So I ran a 110 circuit, 14-2 wire on 15 amp breaker. you flip the switch, it started ramping up and then blows the breaker. It took maybe a second to blow the breaker. So, I plug it into a 20 amp circuit.....it runs fine (although dimming my lights in the shop which were on a different circuit, but same 60 amp panel). So I swap it over to 220, put in a double pole breaker, and it runs now.....however it still dims the lights......and i pulled out my amp clamp meter, and on 110, it momentarily draws 85 amps when starting.....

Anyone have any ideas....i'm thinking bad capacitor??? Many motors i'm finding online say they won't start at all and just hum with a bad capacitor....so is it possible to have a capacitor going bad?? Or is it since theres no real load on the motor on start up it can power through??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Trytore Member

View Shop Dad's Photo Album My Photos
New? Used? Picture?
post #3 of 23 Old 09-12-2012, 07:29 PM

View troyd1976's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to troyd1976
wow was that 85 amps?

id check that capacitor with a meter..incause ya dont know how (i had to look it up) heres a link that seems to give a good run down on the settings, etc. on your meter

http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-check-capacitor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 09-12-2012, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Creator

Yep...its the capacitor.....and yep...max draw of 85 amps at motor start up
post #5 of 23 Old 09-12-2012, 09:11 PM

View J.C.'s Photo Album My Photos
Have you used the dust collector before and not have any problems? I can't say I've checked start up current draw on tons of motors but 85 amp draw doesn't sound crazy. Are you using a new breaker or an old one?
post #6 of 23 Old 09-12-2012, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Creator

Brand new breaker.....brand new wiring.....brand new outlet......the dust collector is 1.5 hp.

My table saw is 1.75 hp.....max draw at start up is 18 amps......

Both induction motors...
post #7 of 23 Old 09-13-2012, 12:53 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
upon start-up a motor draws huge amounts of current, 10 to 100 times the rated running amps. A "time-delay" fuse will overlook this in-rush current for a specified time and amount. circuit breakers have the same time delay built into them, so a special breaker is not required for motor circuits.

there are other factors that can affect your issue, wire length, cb age (and how many times it's been tripped), motor load during start, etc.. start cap integrity can be one of them
post #8 of 23 Old 09-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
Your meter is probably correct in its reading. But you're likely seeing the peak reading. The peak is probably over a single AC cycle and the norm. The last time that I measured something like that with an oscilloscope and a .01 ohm resistor, the second cycle was substantially less current.

I suspect that the wiring that feeds the 60 Amp panel in the shop is inadequate. That would be the first thing that I would look at, it's only 4 screws to check.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #9 of 23 Old 09-13-2012, 03:19 PM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyd1976
wow was that 85 amps?

id check that capacitor with a meter..incause ya dont know how (i had to look it up) heres a link that seems to give a good run down on the settings, etc. on your meter

http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-check-capacitor
It hard to test with a digital multi meter. Easy with an old analog meter.
Tom
post #10 of 23 Old 09-13-2012, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrich

I suspect that the wiring that feeds the 60 Amp panel in the shop is inadequate. That would be the first thing that I would look at, it's only 4 screws to check.

Nope. I put it in two weeks ago.....6 gauge copper

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #11 of 23 Old 09-14-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
Nope. I put it in two weeks ago.....6 gauge copper
6 ga neutral also?
post #12 of 23 Old 09-14-2012, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Sawdust Creator

Yep. Sure did

post #13 of 23 Old 09-14-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
Ok, so I have a delta 1.5 Hp dust collector, motor plate says it draws 12 amps on 110, 6 on 220, So I ran a 110 circuit, 14-2 wire on 15 amp breaker. you flip the switch, it started ramping up and then blows the breaker. It took maybe a second to blow the breaker. So, I plug it into a 20 amp circuit.....it runs fine (although dimming my lights in the shop which were on a different circuit, but same 60 amp panel). So I swap it over to 220, put in a double pole breaker, and it runs now.....however it still dims the lights......and i pulled out my amp clamp meter, and on 110, it momentarily draws 85 amps when starting.....

Anyone have any ideas....i'm thinking bad capacitor??? Many motors i'm finding online say they won't start at all and just hum with a bad capacitor....so is it possible to have a capacitor going bad?? Or is it since theres no real load on the motor on start up it can power through??
what did it draw on 220v (you have to clamp both hots)?
what size breaker on the 220v ckt?
post #14 of 23 Old 09-14-2012, 07:30 PM

View J.C.'s Photo Album My Photos
This thread peaked my curiosity so, I decided to check the start up current draw on a couple dust collectors and a table saw. Everything I tested runs on 220v.

The first dust collector has a name plate rating of 13 amps. It drew 52 amps at start up and ran at 8.4 amps. I couldn't read the hp rating on the tag.

Second dust collector is a 5 hp with a name plate rating of 23 amps. It drew 100-105 amps at start up and ran at 17.8 amps.

Table saw is a 5 hp with a 20 amp name plate rating. Most times it drew 73 amps at start up but it wasn't uncommon to see it draw 93 amps at start up. Ran at 3.8 amps.

Back when I first hooked the table saw up, I had to change the breaker because it kept tripping it at start up. It's been about a year now and haven't had any problems since then.

Not that any of this really helps you out but I thought I'd share.
The Following User Says Thank You to J.C. For This Useful Post:
woodnthings (09-14-2012)
post #15 of 23 Old 09-14-2012, 07:46 PM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPa
what did it draw on 220v (you have to clamp both hots)?
what size breaker on the 220v ckt?
If you are wired for 220v you only need to put the clamp on amp meter on one of the black wires. You should have the same amperage in both wires, one amps flowing in and one of them flowing out.
Tom
post #16 of 23 Old 09-14-2012, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Creator

Well I guess mines not too far off from your smaller collector, I'm torn between tearing the motor apart to look for a problem, or just letting it run

post #17 of 23 Old 09-15-2012, 07:35 AM

View GROOVY's Photo Album My Photos
I had a simular problem with an older stored for a long time motor, it had a centrifugal switch thing inside that was hung up..
post #18 of 23 Old 09-15-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
If you are wired for 220v you only need to put the clamp on amp meter on one of the black wires. You should have the same amperage in both wires, one amps flowing in and one of them flowing out.
Tom
What was I thinking? - you are right. it would read zero my way.
post #19 of 23 Old 02-04-2020, 07:54 PM

View bsandor's Photo Album My Photos
I know this is an old thread, but I am having a similar problem with a Delta 50-850 1-1/2HP dust collector. I've owned it since new, for probably close to 15 years. Within the last few months, it has more and more frequently been tripping it's built-in breaker on startup. Now it will not start at all - it always trips after a second or two. I've replaced both starter capacitors (I didn't realize at first there were two - 25uF and 200uF). I've replaced the built-in breaker. I've cleaned and reset and tested the centrifugal startup switch. I've replaced the bearings - it seems to turn freely - the fan is solid steel so heavy, but it does rotate freely. I've tried moving it from where I had it to another outlet. I don't have extensive experience with induction motors, but I am not aware of them simply "wearing out". I know the windings can burn out, but because of it's gradual decline, I don't think that's it. I have not yet tried rewiring it to 230V, but will try that soon. I suppose I could have replaced a bad capacitor with a new bad capacitor, but that seems unlikely. I suppose I should test the new ones. It definitely acts like it's the starter capacitor. I'm out of ideas and am hoping someone has some insight. Thanks.
post #20 of 23 Old 02-05-2020, 10:41 AM

an ac motor typically does not have 2 start capacitors, but rather one "start" capacitor (ranges: 430 - 516 mF, 110-330 VAC) and one "run" capacitor (ranges: 5-45 mF, 370-440 VAC). i got these ranges out of my motor book. replacement caps do have to go back into their respective positions in the circuit. polarity is not an issue on these.

i would recheck that you have correct replacements for the originals, and, they are in the proper location. also, since wiring has been disturbed, recheck that it is back in correct configuration.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode