Craftsman wet/dry vac Question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 05-23-2019, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

View ajdragon's Photo Album My Photos
Craftsman wet/dry vac Question

Hi

I just got a Craftsman 20 Gallon Wet/Dry Vac model 113.177620 for free, unfortunately it didn't come with a hose. The hose has been discontinued. Does anyone happen to know what hoses will work with it?

It uses a Pos-I-Lock Hose Assembly, and I cant seem to find anything like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (39).png
Views:	23
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	375641  

Name:	IMG_3976.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	476.5 KB
ID:	375643  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-23-2019, 06:48 AM

View ducbsa's Photo Album My Photos
My Ridgid vac has that lock on the end of the hose,

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/vac-accessories

Home Despot sells Ridgid vacs.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-23-2019, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Hi

Thank you, I'll check them out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-23-2019, 10:16 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I wonder whether it is a standard 2.25 inch inside diameter fitting? If so, will a standard shop vac hose fit it and stay inserted from friction? That's the way most shop vacs work. They don't require a locking tab. I suspect that your shop vac does not really need a special locking hose either.

Measure the inside diameter of the hole. Is it 2.25 inches? If so, then any standard shop vac hose should fit. You can find it at your local big box store. Try it. Return it if it doesn't fit or won't stay in the hole.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-25-2019, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Hi

It's 2.25" on the inside.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-21-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Hi

Well I got a hose, and now I have a problem with the replacement filter. On the end of the filter is a threaded cap holder that is getting in the way of the winged nut that holds the filter in place, should I just go ahead and cut that piece of plastic off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	400.9 KB
ID:	378105  

post #7 of 11 Old 08-21-2019, 09:59 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Where's the original filter?

I'll bet that is NOT the correct filter for that shop vac. I've never seen a filter like that ... ever.
My Rigid filters are a snap on type like these on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vacuum-Filt...wAAOSwePtdLuLS

My older Craftsman do have a plastic nut the threads onto your filter support. If you cut that away you'll need a large washer to cover the large hole that's left. Make sure you have the correct filter. The Rigid filters may work on your vac... I donno? The overall height and inside diameter must be the same as the original. The Rigids use that posi-lock type of hose also. The end that locks into the shop vac is much larger that the typical 2 1/2" hose end. The new hoses are much more rigid/non-flexible than the old style spiral wire hoses, BUT you can still buy them on Ebay.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 11 Old 08-22-2019, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Hi

The manual says to replace with a 9-17816 Filter (Red Stripe), and everywhere I look it's the same filter. So the only thing I can think of is that craftsman changed the nut design. Parts 20 and 21 are the ones that won't fit. If I cut the thread part off parts 20 and 21 will fit properly. As for the hose, I got a craftsman 2-1/2" by 20 foot with universal fittings, unfortunately the fitting for my vac is 1/32" to big, it will go a little bit over half way in before its gets suck. I could force it all the way in but I know it would never come back out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot (53).png
Views:	7
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	378107  

Last edited by ajdragon; 08-22-2019 at 01:22 AM.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-22-2019, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdragon View Post
Hi. Well I got a hose, and now I have a problem with the replacement filter. On the end of the filter is a threaded cap holder that is getting in the way of the winged nut that holds the filter in place, should I just go ahead and cut that piece of plastic off.
I have a 16 gallon Sears Craftsman shop vac, model 113.178080. I believe that I have the same problem with filters. I bought a couple filters that were supposed to fit my shop vac, but they don't. They sat in my shop for a long time, far too long to return them now. I opened one a couple weeks ago, and was surprised to find the same threaded fitting on the top. It will not fit unaltered in my shop vac.

I used various tools to cut out the threaded part. I forced the filter to fit by pushing hard on the flat disk that holds the filter in place, and threading the plastic "nut" on the plastic screw to secure it and seal the rubber gasket around the rim to the bottom of the filter. Not many threads were exposed from the screw, due to the mismatched filter. I think that the seals will prevent air from getting around the filter top or bottom, but it was not a natural fit.

I will "fix" the second filter and use it when the time comes, but I will check filters more carefully going forward.

With a good cyclone-type dust separator, you should not need to replace the filter often.

It is late. Tomorrow I will try to post a photo of my "fix."
post #10 of 11 Old 08-22-2019, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

Hi

I also need to get a float, the stock one is missing. Unfortunately the stock float has been discontinued, is it possible to use a ball float in place of the cone shaped stock float, and if so what size should I get?

Also it looks like they did upgrade the filter nut, here is a link to the upgraded nut.
https://www.searspartsdirect.com/pro...SABEgJZpfD_BwE

Last edited by ajdragon; 08-22-2019 at 03:35 AM.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-22-2019, 11:40 AM

As promised, here are photos of my fix for the mismatched filter:

* I had to flip my original plastic nut over to get it to work. The finger tab is supposed to be raised above the flat part to make unscrewing easy.
* The flat round seal does not fit right, but it seems to seal anyway.
* I used a hole saw to cut out the threaded part.

While doing research last night, I found this company, which seems to "get it":
https://www.kopachfilter.com

I am impressed with their story as much as anything. A filter factory closed down in a small town, and a couple from the town bought the tooling and set it up on their nearby farm to keep operations and jobs going. Made in USA.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Upside Down Nut.JPG
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	378135  

Name:	Cover Off.JPG
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	378137  

Name:	Drilled Out Filter.JPG
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	378139  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode