Cleaning Wynn Filter - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 02-06-2013, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Cleaning Wynn Filter

So I took my filter off to clean it out tonight....and was annoyed how long it was taking with my shopvac (dust bag inside it), so i got the great idea to use a second shop vac hose on the shop vac discharge, and one hose on the intake, and hold the discharge on the outside of the filter, the intake on the inside.......worked like a charm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-10-2013, 06:48 AM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
Cool. I do basically the same. I blow with my compressor with the shop vac sucking the plumes of dust on the inside. It really is a PITA isn't it. I wish I had one of those flappers that are on the commercial units. I think that would be slick.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-10-2013, 08:42 AM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
I have never tried it but I have thought about putting a large plastic bag over the outside of the filter and seal it well with duct tape . Cut a hole in the bag and put a hose coming from a vac cleaner discharge or large blower and do a back flush on the filter. I'm going to try it sometime, outside of course.
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-10-2013, 09:08 AM
Old Hack

View BlackWater's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to BlackWater
I tried removing the filter a couple times to clean it, and yes it IS a great PITA! After a while I just made a habit of shooting compressed air through it every other day or so. It helped, but even at 120 psi my blowgun just didn't do the job.

Trusty old Toro electric leaf blower to the rescue! I cut the nozzle down to about 8 inches and hold it close to the filter as I go around. It'll drop a couple inches or so of dust into an empty bag! I just have to make sure the nozzle is against the filter when I turn it on, and wait until the motor stops completely before I remove it, otherwise I'll blow dust of a tool across the room! I also have to make sure my blast gates are closed.

After a two or three minute cleaning operation with the leaf blower the whole system draws great again!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackWater For This Useful Post:
ACP (02-10-2013), thegrgyle (03-04-2013)
post #5 of 7 Old 03-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Hobbyist wood-butcher

View thegrgyle's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACP View Post
Cool. I do basically the same. I blow with my compressor with the shop vac sucking the plumes of dust on the inside. It really is a PITA isn't it. I wish I had one of those flappers that are on the commercial units. I think that would be slick.
when I purchased my Wynn filter, I thought I had seen 2 things about it that i liked. One that it was washable, and the other that I could install a flapper to help clean it. After having the filter for a year, I tried to locate plans for the flapper on their site, and couldn't find it. I then contacted them about the 2 things I mentioned previously, and they said that I was mistaken. The Rep from Wynn said that the filter material is NOT made to take the abuse of a flapper, and the I DEFINITELY SHOULD NOT wash the filter at all. I was a little disappointed, but I have since developed a way to clean it. The next time I do, I will probably do a thread on it. It makes a huge difference on the efficiency of the DC.

Just thought I would let you know what I had learned from Wynn industries......

I think when it does get warmer outside, I will probably try the leaf blower deal and see if that works better than my method.... It sounds like it would.

Fabian

I used to be fairly indecisive, but now....... I'm not so sure.

Last edited by thegrgyle; 03-04-2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: contemplating leaf blower method
post #6 of 7 Old 03-11-2013, 09:51 PM

View Bob Willing's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWater View Post
I tried removing the filter a couple times to clean it, and yes it IS a great PITA! After a while I just made a habit of shooting compressed air through it every other day or so. It helped, but even at 120 psi my blowgun just didn't do the job.

Trusty old Toro electric leaf blower to the rescue! I cut the nozzle down to about 8 inches and hold it close to the filter as I go around. It'll drop a couple inches or so of dust into an empty bag! I just have to make sure the nozzle is against the filter when I turn it on, and wait until the motor stops completely before I remove it, otherwise I'll blow dust of a tool across the room! I also have to make sure my blast gates are closed.

After a two or three minute cleaning operation with the leaf blower the whole system draws great again!
+1 to this method. I use my leaf blower as well especially if I think I am not getting enough suction. I also use my leaf blower to clean my shop about once a month. Just open both doors pick up loose items, blow off the lights, bench, and floor and I turn my over head filter on before I start cleaning. I leave the overhead filter on even after I close the doors for at least 15 min's. After every thing has settled I remove the dust bag and empty the dust from the filter.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-11-2013, 11:12 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
So I took my filter off to clean it out tonight....and was annoyed how long it was taking with my shopvac (dust bag inside it), so i got the great idea to use a second shop vac hose on the shop vac discharge, and one hose on the intake, and hold the discharge on the outside of the filter, the intake on the inside.......worked like a charm.
No pictures, really? I guess it didn't happen then.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode