Best Collection System for Thickness Planer? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Buckmark13
  • 1 Post By TomCT2
  • 1 Post By TomCT2
  • 1 Post By TomCT2
  • 2 Post By DesertRatTom

post #1 of 16 Old 05-14-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

View RustyPlaneWW's Photo Album My Photos
Best Collection System for Thickness Planer?

I have a lunchbox style Grizzly thickness planer that Iíd like to rig something up for collecting the chips. It doesnít have a blower like the DeWalt does, so Iíd have to do something with suction.

Iím looking at a Wen wall mounted dust collector, or something like that (donít have a very big shop) and I donít want to run a 4Ē pipe from the planer to the collector because Iím fairly certain the larger chips would block the collectorís suction/air flow.

Any thoughts on this? What do you guys use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-14-2019, 02:08 PM

View Buckmark13's Photo Album My Photos
What about a dust collector with a separator between the planer and a wall mounted collector?
RustyPlaneWW likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 05-14-2019, 03:08 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I just hook a shop vac up to my Craftsman planner.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 05-14-2019, 03:21 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
planners create large volumes of chips - 30 gal is a good size for modest work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4946s.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	434.7 KB
ID:	375309  

RustyPlaneWW likes this.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-14-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
I just hook a shop vac up to my Craftsman planner.

George

That doesnít clog? Are you using 2Ē pipe?

post #6 of 16 Old 05-14-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCT2 View Post
planners create large volumes of chips - 30 gal is a good size for modest work

Do you have issues with chips clogging the 2Ē pipe?

post #7 of 16 Old 05-14-2019, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckmark13 View Post
What about a dust collector with a separator between the planer and a wall mounted collector?

Thatís basically what Iím thinking of doing, but I didnít want to get a huge cyclone, so...was just wondering what other folks have going on.

post #8 of 16 Old 05-14-2019, 05:49 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
no need for separator ......

What are you going to separate chips from other chips? There's little "dust" from the planer to separate, so hook up the shop vac right to the planer outlet. You'll get better suction to some extent as well.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #9 of 16 Old 05-14-2019, 06:19 PM

it's actually a 2-1/2" "std" vac hose - and no there's never an issue with clogging.
note: the planner is a helix style head, so the chips are small.

I first tried it with just the 5 gal vacuum, it filled the vac to blocked within 5 minutes.

the black lid is a 'cyclone' style separator - a 90' elbow directs the inflow around the circumference - works quite well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_4948s.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	375311  

RustyPlaneWW likes this.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-14-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCT2 View Post
it's actually a 2-1/2" "std" vac hose - and no there's never an issue with clogging.
note: the planner is a helix style head, so the chips are small.

I first tried it with just the 5 gal vacuum, it filled the vac to blocked within 5 minutes.

the black lid is a 'cyclone' style separator - a 90' elbow directs the inflow around the circumference - works quite well.

I may go this route.

post #11 of 16 Old 05-15-2019, 06:42 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPlaneWW View Post
That doesnít clog? Are you using 2Ē pipe?

I am using whatever the factory put on the vacuum. I believe it is larger than 2".

George
post #12 of 16 Old 05-15-2019, 07:23 AM
Mark Jones Ozark

View Mark Jones Ozark's Photo Album My Photos
I surfaced planned about 15 rough sawn boards and it filled up my trash dumpster. it will surprise you on the amount of dust and chips. Resawing 5 4' long 12" round walnut logs into 1" boards and ripping some plywood filled my dust deputy 15 gal container up.

My delta planer has no dust collection on it. I just take it out in the drive way and let it run then scoop up the chips. I need to get one that has dust collection on it. Had a dewalt planer and it did a great job collecting saw dust but it was limited in the depth of cut.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-15-2019, 08:32 AM

if you go with the lid type . . . fwiw

as I recall - got mine from Peachtree, it has 4" ports so if you use a smaller hose (higher velocity = better 'cyclone' effect) you need adapters.
when buying the garbage can, check it upside down on a flat floor - many are not "flat" enough to get a good seal then you have to 'tie it down' (PITA)
RustyPlaneWW likes this.
post #14 of 16 Old 05-16-2019, 11:02 PM

View DesertRatTom's Photo Album My Photos
Saw a number of different chip collection setups for a planer. Very simple for a DeWalt 735. You need (preferably) a 4 inch hose from the planer to an input connector on top of a box or, possibly, a nice sized trash barrel. What you do need is an exit for the pressurized air. That exhaust needs a cover, either with our without a filter, and you can use a piece of window screen to cover the opening.

I'd guess the exhaust port should be 5-6 times the area of the 4 inch input. A 4 inch port has an area of 12.5 square inches. An screened exhaust area would have to be between 50 and 60 inches. A rectangular opening should be 6 x 10 inches. Bigger would likely be better. Because the 735 blows such a strong stream of air and fluffy chips, you can put a liner in the tub to make cleanup less messy. This will not work for machines without a blower built in. For other machines, including jointers, you will need a DC unit to suck the chips into your collector.

I don't think it's a good idea to just blow this stuff into a filter of a shop vac. so a chip collector is the best bet, and I think the dust deputy is the way to go for a 2.5 inch system, with the highest capacity you can afford. Here are three examples for a DeWalt 735.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	735 chip collector 2.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	375343  

Attached Images

RustyPlaneWW and Mr_Whiskey like this.
post #15 of 16 Old 05-17-2019, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatTom View Post
Saw a number of different chip collection setups for a planer. Very simple for a DeWalt 735. You need (preferably) a 4 inch hose from the planer to an input connector on top of a box or, possibly, a nice sized trash barrel. What you do need is an exit for the pressurized air. That exhaust needs a cover, either with our without a filter, and you can use a piece of window screen to cover the opening.

I'd guess the exhaust port should be 5-6 times the area of the 4 inch input. A 4 inch port has an area of 12.5 square inches. An screened exhaust area would have to be between 50 and 60 inches. A rectangular opening should be 6 x 10 inches. Bigger would likely be better. Because the 735 blows such a strong stream of air and fluffy chips, you can put a liner in the tub to make cleanup less messy. This will not work for machines without a blower built in. For other machines, including jointers, you will need a DC unit to suck the chips into your collector.

I don't think it's a good idea to just blow this stuff into a filter of a shop vac. so a chip collector is the best bet, and I think the dust deputy is the way to go for a 2.5 inch system, with the highest capacity you can afford. Here are three examples for a DeWalt 735.

Those are all great options. I donít have the DeWalt right now. I just have a regular Grizzly 12Ē lunchbox style planer. So, I could do something like this, but would need something creating a vacuum on the other end.

post #16 of 16 Old 05-18-2019, 01:19 AM

View DesertRatTom's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPlaneWW View Post
Those are all great options. I donít have the DeWalt right now. I just have a regular Grizzly 12Ē lunchbox style planer. So, I could do something like this, but would need something creating a vacuum on the other end.

Your WEN unit could supply the suction, just remove the filter bag and blow it into one of the passive collectors in the pictures. That bag will fill up very fast. The other options I really encourage is to get a Harbor Freight 2hp (well, maybe 1.5 hp), which often goes on sale for anywhere between $160 to $199. If you look at the top of the line WEN unit, you're looking at a setup almost identical to the HF unit. Probably made in the same factory.
The smaller WEN units are just a blower with a bag. It still has the 4 inch input and output ports you need to make the other blower work. I used to have a Makita lunchbox planer, which had a dust collection chute on it. Grizz makes one with a 4 inch port that's just $28. https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...5-Planer/H7516
The WEN 5.7 amp blower also has a 4 inch port so they will work on the Grizz But you will soon discover that 4 inches isn't always 4 inches. You may need some plumbing boots to link hoses to connectors, to your DC system. Very frustrating. I have a large box filled with connectors of various brands that are completely incompatible with anything else. I now stick with Rockler Dust Rite connectors and hose. With a plumbing boot, I can make most things connect.
I just bought the large Super Dust Deputy (SDD), which has a 6 inch exit port and 5 inch intake. Of course, nothing fits but the Dust Deputy connectors, but I found a guy at Home Depot who'd done a lot of HVAC duct work and he came up with an adjustable diameter connector I was able to use. Here's a picture. I brought the Rockler connectors and the SDD with me, the only reasonable way to make sure things fit.
As a throat cancer survivor, I am a bit of a dust collection evangalist. If you spend a little time around carpenters who are notoriously careless about breathing sawdust, you have met a lot of guys who have COPD and terrible respiratory diseases. A dust collection bag will not filter the tiny dust, which is the material that gets into your lungs, but never comes out. If you can, put the bag outside, and wear a good positive pressure mask.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190513_101508.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	375401  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode