Air Cleaner User SNAFU - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By RickKr

post #1 of 2 Old 02-05-2020, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

View RickKr's Photo Album My Photos
Air Cleaner User SNAFU

Gotta laugh at myself.

About a half year ago, I installed a SuperMax air cleaner in my shop (garage). A real pain to get hung from the ceiling, but it had been working great, or so I though, until a month or two ago. It started making a noise, which grew until I could not stand to use it and wasn't. It was clearly something dragging onthe squirrel cage fan.

I called support (Laguna Tools) over a week ago. Apparently, they are going through fits with a phone system upgrade, which seems to be largely resolved now. Anyway, yesterday, after putting in a call and actually reaching someone, only to be "referred" to support with "I'll send this over to tech support".

So, I'm sitting there, thinking, this has got to be something simple. So, I got out my ladder and climbed up there an looked at the exit/control panel end. Nothing. Went to the intake/filter side. Took out both filters and I see these white things above and below the squirrel cage housing. "What are those?" Styrofoam shipping protectors, wrapped in plastic bags. Tags of the bags had been sucked into the fan enough to rub and cause the noise. Removed them and all is great again.

I thought, why didn't the instructions tell me about these? Looking, apparently a bit closer than before - they did - specifically that they were there and must be removed. Got a call this morning from tech support. They tells me this is their number one call topic. We chatted for a while and he sends me his direct email for if there is every anything more.

All good now, air cleaner runs quieter than I recall it ever being. Perhaps because it now has full air flow capacity. Perhaps just my imagination. We are our own worst enemies, sometimes.

Rick
difalkner and Dave Mills like this.

"Quality is like buying oats. If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a bit cheaper."

Last edited by RickKr; 02-05-2020 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Excessive line breaks inserted by the interface
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-05-2020, 12:30 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
"We have met the enemy, and he is us!" LOL! Glad you got it sorted out, Rick.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode