Why Japanese chisels are so good .... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By difalkner

post #1 of 3 Old 02-20-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Why Japanese chisels are so good ....

I own several Japanese chisels, gouges and slicks but I never knew what all went into making one. Now I respect them on a completely different level:
BigJim and 35015 like this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-20-2019, 09:16 PM
Former Member

View 35015's Photo Album My Photos
Descent accumulation video of a "production run" Japanese Chisel...Thanks for sharing that!!!

They left out the tempering and many of the traditional methods of making them, probably because most of the makers are very guarded about what goes into their chisels...For example, the video show the "hollow" (I'm rusting on my Japanese for Bladsmithing) being ground into the belly of the chisel where the better made ones are done with a steel "draw knife" like tool called a "Sen." They would never grind a hollow in the tool as this distorts the "white" or "blue" crystalline alloy they use in that region of the tool. They forge the general shape (or many do) and then "Sen" the final shape into the tool...

They are simply the best chisels (over all) I have ever owned or used...but they can be "finicky!!!" as some shatter more like glass than metal if you have an accident dropping one or they simply crack and shatter on the belly side if you ever dream of "prying" out a chip...especially with the "white steels."

Thanks again for posting!!!!
post #3 of 3 Old 02-20-2019, 10:10 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
I am always fascinated watching someone work metal like that, like making knives, etc. Thanks for posting!

David
35015 likes this.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode